Replacing Lamp Fan

• I need step-by-step instructions on how to access the lamp fan in my 27-month-old Samsung HLR5067W.  After speaking with Samsung, the loud humming noise I hear when turning on the television is caused by an inoperable fan.  I replaced the lamp two months ago. I ordered both the lamp fan (3 1/4 BP31-00010B) and the DMD Board Cooling Fan (BP31-00011A).  Had no problem replacing the DMD fan; but the lamp fan is behind the lamp and barely visible.  I am hesitant about indiscriminately removing screws to get at the fan.  If anyone knows exactly what I need to do to safely remove and replace the fan, I would really appreciate your help.

Thanks,

DLJ

Posted in Community Q&A, Samsung Lamps, Top 10 Tagged with: , ,
14 comments on “Replacing Lamp Fan
  1. avatar Jimmy says:

Are you sure it’s the fan? A humming noise could be a color wheel!!! And you have to be careful about saying you spoke with Samsung. There’s Samsung support located at http://www.samsung.com and there’s an authorized distributor like samsungparts.com that will sell you generic parts and give you poor advice.
    Is someone making a guide for this procedure, that would be awesome :)

2. avatar Peter says:

Maybe you already have wasted money for fans.
    Call repair men.
    Ask them how much to change color wheel.
    You may shop around repair guys, find out more reliable and better price.
    ( ask about warranty their job)

3. avatar jessica says:

the lamp light stays lit and then the tv turns itself off; however, as it is doing this it is also making this weird wirrring, wriiing, some sort of a whirring noise like a dying bee: could this mean that the fan or something else has also gone wrong?

4. avatar Vicki says:

I chatted with a Samsung rep because my HLR5067W is doing the same thing. I replaced the lamp in mine as well. I was told by the rep that it is the fan that needs replaced, but I too am hesitant to replace it as I am not sure where in the TV the fan is located, or what is involved with replacing it. Would love some help!

5. That sounds like a color wheel.

6. Samsung reps are usually not that knowledgeable when it comes to solving problems over the phone.

7. SamsungParts.com doesn’t always sell generic parts, Jimmy, but consumers should always ask if it’s a generic or OEM part when purchasing. Also ask for the differences. When it comes to lamps, generic is not the way to go. We don’t have anyone to build this guide yet either!

8. avatar Steve says:

Vicki,

In my experience, the fans in the Samsung’s are fairly reliable…and unlikely to fail (although it can happen!)

A more likely scenario is the color wheel being stuck against the housing and preventing the imaging coming on the screen.

9. avatar sdemjsully says:

Have a Samsung HLR5067W DLP…3 yrs old. A constant, low humming noise is emanating from the TV, but there don’t appear to be any other problems. TV does not turn off, none of the lights (Lamp, etc) on the front of the console flash when the TV is on, and there are no color distortions/problems.

Any ideas/thoughts? Thinking it’s a fan issue…not colorwheel, since I don’t have any color problems, an the TV does not turn off.

Thanks- also, if it IS the fan, think some lubricant will do the trick, or would it need to be replaced? If so, can I do that on my own?

10. avatar LINDA MCLARNEY says:

MY DUMB DLP KEEPS GOING OFF. DOES NOT HAVE THAT MANY HOURS ON IT. WHEN IT GOES OFF IT PLAYS THE MELODY AND THE SHTE STANDBY/TEMP LIGHT COMES ON AND THE TIMER LIGHT BLINKS. COULD THIS BE THE FAN?

11. avatar cknight says:

I have a DLP HLR5067W I have changed the lamp three times and the color wheel three times. I did the before I understood that the color wheel is what makes noise when it is malfunctioning not the lamp. Now the color wheel has malfunctioned again [4th time]. Any idea what this causing this. I ordered those replacements from ebay and not a samsumng dealer!

12. avatar Luis says:

I have a Samsung DLP V 6767W (2007). I have replaced the lamp but my TV still does not show picture and it makes a humming/beeping sound. The 3 light indicators on he TV keep flashing.
    Any suggestions? How do I know if it’s the color wheel or the fan that needs to be replaced?

13. avatar lauro says:

I have rca tv dlp the problem with this tv it have like black stripe in the middle of the screen.What is grong ?