Mitsubishi white death can be solved for under $230

How the Mitsubishi DMD DLP chip works

How the Mitsubishi DMD DLP chip works

You’ve settled  down to watch TV when you notice white star-like clusters on the screen. It’s not dust and it’s not a problem with the brightness.  It’s the white death problem caused by a worn out DMD chip.

Mitsubishi DLP TVs have been plagued with the problems for several years now. Various forums talk about customers being given quotes of $600 and upwards for solving the white spot syndrome or replacing the DMD DLP chip. Fortunately, there are companies offering the offering the DLP chip for under $230.

Causes of white death

No matter what the brand, at the heart of any DLP TV the DMD chip invented in 1987 by Dr. Larry Hornbeck of Texas Instruments. This optical semiconductor contains an array of up to 2 million hinge-mounted microscopic mirrors, so small they measure one-fifth the width of a human hair.

White death: why??

As it receives the signal, the small mirrors rotate, either tilting away from the light or towards it to produce those stunning images that have made these TVs a frontrunner for the consumer.  Since they are mounted on a yoke with an axle that literally twists in the middle, these micro mirrors get stuck and can no longer reflect the signal. The result is a white or black dot on the screen. As more and more mirrors become stuck, more white dots appear on screen creating an image that can’t be viewed.

MItsusbishi DMD DLP chip

MItsusbishi DMD DLP chip

The affordable solution

In order to address the issue, Texas Instrument has created a replacement DMD DLP chip that is affordable and readily available from recognized distributors. While part numbers may vary, the chip remains the same. The following part numbers are interchangeable:

Mitsubishi DMD Chip 276P595010
Board Number DMD Panel IC# 1910-6143W
Board Number DMD Panel IC# 1910-6145W
Board Number DMD Panel IC# 1910-6103W

Samsung DMD Chip 4719-001997
Samsung DMD Chip 4719-001985
Samsung DMD Chip 4719-001999
Samsung DMD Chip W1272-5003

Avoid an expensive repair bill and let your service center know about the DMD DLP chip for under $230.

Tagged with: , , , ,
Posted in FixYourDLP, Mitsubishi, Rear Projection TV Lamp Replacement
13 comments on “Mitsubishi white death can be solved for under $230
  1. avatar G F Lueger says:

Who are some of the electronic distributors that provide these chips. Thanks
    73s
    Jerry

2. avatar Larry Kretzie says:

Mitsubishi is replacing these DMD IC chips nationwide under an unannounced kind of recall for model #’s WD60C9, WD73733, WD57734, WDY657, WD73734, WD65735, WD60735, WD65C9, WD73840, WD65833, WD65733, WD73735, WD73833, WD57733, WD65734 and others. Call them @ 800-332-2119 and give them your model, serial # and date of purchase, tell them you have the white spots, they will set up a workorder with a local Mitsubishi servicer to come to your home and replace the DMD chip. Mitsubishi will supply the part (part # 276P595010) for free, but you must pay $200 in labor. BUT…if you ask for Shantell Hebert when you call Mitsubishi, and really push the issue, she will also pay half of the $200 labor fee, so you go from $400 to repair to only $100. Once that chip is replaced, the unit works great again!!

• avatar J. Miller says:

This worked perfectly. Thanks for the tip.

• Thank you for your very timely & help full information

Truly appreciate your assistance

Carlos 786-218-5424

• avatar Ray says:

Larry Kretzie you rule dude!!! I made the call and they said no. Then I literally read your post and they said (and I quote) “Mitsubishi can help you out with that problem”. LOL $200 and I have a service call pending for this or next week. Thanks for the super helpful info bro!

• avatar Diana Mejia says:

Wow!!! It’s February 24, 2014 and I called today. Mitsubishi did indeed pay to replace the chip and half of the labor, so all I have to pay is $100!!! This is great and Mr. Kretzie, I am so thankful for this post! All they asked for was the Model, Seriel number, approximate date purchased and who it was purchased from. This is so helpful to me at this time. I will be contacted by the authorized repair place in the next 5-7 business days! THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!

• avatar Shelagh McNally says:

Congratulations Diana! This is great news and we are happy we could help out in our small way.
        Regards,
        Shelagh

• avatar Lo2027 says:

Laser TV L65A90 same issue after 3 years i get black & white dots everywhere on screen unfortunatly i live in France
        I have already repaired the tv from nopower red blinking issue so i know how to repair it by my self..
        I called Mitsubishi to get the dlp chip sent to me and they say they only send it to service center is that true ?
        can’t they send directly to the customer ?

• avatar Shelagh McNally says:

Hello Lo2027,
          If you buy from Mitsubishi they want to do the work themselves. However, these chips are produced by Texas Instruments and are much the same for most models. There are places here in the USA that sells direct to customers. I would recommend contacting Discount Merchants. They ship around the world and can help you find the right chip for your model. http://www.discount-merchant.com/
          You can also join our forum where we have a community of experts to help you with your dlp TV and get it up and running.
          I hope this helps.
          Cheers,
          Shelagh

3. avatar J. Chico says:

Thank you for your info Larry. It was very helpful. I called Mitsubishi and mentioned your post and they verified everything you wrote. They have since sent the part and serviced my TV. I am pleased that I do not have to purchase a new TV. Once again MUCH THANKS Larry!!!

4. avatar Denise Wilson says:

I had a chip replaced too 4/9/2014 and they sent the chip free but I paid 272.83 the labor cost 200.00 and I had to pay 55.00 for mileage. I feel that I shouldn’t have paid anything because they new the chip was defective and it wouldn’t last no more than 2-3 yrs. I feel we should all get our money back for labor cost or any cost associated with repairing the chip. Of course it corrected my problem but disappointed that I had to pay for their costly mistake.

• avatar Shelagh McNally says:

Hi Denise,
      A lot of people feel that way. Unfortunately, the company is not stepping up to the plate and paying for the cost of repairs. We published guides on this website to help people replace their own DMD chip but if you are not technologically inclined then the best route was to pay for the service technician. The only thing I can recommend if writing to the company and letting them know they have lost your business. Certainly ask the to refund the $55 mileage fee. That seems a bit over the top! How is your TV working now? If you need more help, consider joining our forum. We have a community of experts who can help you sort out your problem and perhaps save some money!
      Cheers,