The affordable solution for the DLP TV white dot problem

White dots, white snow or sparkling stars on your DLP TV mean only one thing – a worn out DMD chip. The white dot syndrome seems to happen when the DLP TVshave been in use anywhere from two to five years – usually when the warranty has expired

Certain brands seem more vulnerable than others to the white dot syndrome. Samsung and Mitsubishi DLP TVs have been plagued with the problems for several years now. Sony and JVC choose to take the TVs set off the market in response to complaints from disgruntled owners.

If you read the various forums offering solutions, you’ll see customers being given quotes of $600 and upwards for solving the white spot syndrome or replacing the DMD DLP chip. Fortunately, there are companies offering the offering the DLP chip for under $230.

MItsusbishi DMD DLP chip

DMD DLP chip

Causes of DLP white dot syndrome

At the heart of every DLP TV, no matter what the brand is the DMD chip invented in 1987 by Dr. Larry Hornbeck of Texas Instruments. This optical semiconductor contains an array of up to 2 million hinge-mounted microscopic mirrors, so small they measure one-fifth the width of a human hair.

The DMD chip receives the digital or graphic signal reflecting it onto the TV screen to produce the stunning images that have made these TVs a frontrunner for the consumer.  The mirrors themselves are made out of aluminum and mounted on a yoke with an axle that literally twists in the middle. The DMD micro mirrors switch on and off, either tilt towards the light or away from it.

This action creates the light or dark pixels on the screen and allows for a staggering 1,204 shades of gray.  At the same time, the DLP lamp generates white light that passes through a red, green, and blue color filter to the surface of the DMD chip creating millions of colors.

DLP white dot syndrome happens when one of these micro mirrors gets stuck and can no longer reflect the signal. The result is a white or black dot on the screen. As more and more mirrors become stuck, more white dots appear on screen creating an image that can’t be viewed.

The affordable solution

In order to address the issue, Texas Instrument has created a replacement DMD DLP chip that is affordable and readily available from recognized distributors. While part numbers may vary, the chip remains the same. The following part numbers are interchangeable:

Samsung DMD Chip 4719-001997
Samsung DMD Chip 4719-001985
Samsung DMD Chip 4719-001999
Samsung DMD Chip W1272-5003
Mitsubishi DMD Chip 276P595010
Board Number DMD Panel IC# 1910-6143W
Board Number DMD Panel IC# 1910-6145W
Board Number DMD Panel IC# 1910-6103W

Avoid an expensive repair bill and keep your customers happy by purchasing a DMD DLP chip for under $230.

The importance of authentic

It’s important that you install an OEM lamp and avoid a generic, compatible lamp.

Knock-off, compatible generic lamps may seem like a bargain in the beginning. They actually cost more in the long run since they can damage the color wheel and ballast mechanisms in your RPTV. They also give off poor light, are prone to messy explosions and actually have a shorter life.

We recommend purchasing from an Authorized Philips dealer such as Discount-Merchant.com to insure that you are receiving a genuine Philips brand replacement lamp. Beware of knock-off and counterfeit Philips lamps floating around in the market.

There are also health concerns associated with these lamps. Generic lamps are made with toxic substances that can compromise your family’s health. Read more about the dangers of Krypton-85.

When you purchase an OEM replacement lamps you’re guaranteed the best lamp for your RPTV.

Posted in FixYourDLP, Rear Projection TV Lamp Replacement Tagged with: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
19 comments on “The affordable solution for the DLP TV white dot problem
  1. avatar replacement lamp shades says:

Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering if you knew of any
    widgets I could add to my blog that automatically tweet my newest twitter updates.
    I’ve been looking for a plug-in like this for quite some time and was hoping maybe you would have some experience with something like this. Please let me know if you run into anything. I truly enjoy reading your blog and I look forward to your new updates.

2. avatar Demetria Boyd says:

So I have a Samsung 72′ projected tv I got it from a friend and it has snow like dots all over it and I don’t know were to get the chip from or where to buy it I see it may cost a good bit but can you help?

• avatar Shelagh McNally says:

Hi Demetria,
      Contact http://www.discount-merchant.com. You need a new DLP chip for your Samsung and discount merchants sells a variety of models. They can help you track down the right chip. When you get the chip, contact us here and we can help you install it. Good luck and stay in touch.
      Regards,
      Shelagh

3. avatar john packer says:

we have a 60 inch mitsubishi dlp tv with the dreaded white dot syndrome. i understand that this can be fixed with a new dlp chip267p595010 from texas instruments. you also recommend using an oem lamp and avoid using generic. is the oem lamp a separate item from the dip chip and if so does that need to be replaced along with the dlp chip? thanks for your help.

• avatar Shelagh McNally says:

Hi John,
      They are both separate items. The new chip can be replaced without having to install a new lamp as long as the current lamp is not hit or hurt during the replacement of the new DMD/DLP chip. Check to see how many hours you have left with your current lamp and if it has reached end of life, you can replace them both at the same time. Both the chip and lamp can be found at discount-merchant.com and customer service can help you with any other questions. Let us know how it goes.
      Regards,
      Shelagh

4. avatar john packer says:

i need replacement hinges for my under counter refrigerator marvel model 60arrss.

5. avatar Barbara Jackson says:

I have dreaded white dots plus my 65″ Mitsubishi is starting to have a problem turning on. Lamp was replaced a few months ago. Do you think it is it worth the expense to fix it? Thank you.

• avatar Shelagh McNally says:

Hi Barbara,
      It is worth replacing the DMD chip since it will get rid of the white dots. The difficulty turning the set on may be a different altogether. You want to join our forum so you can ask the experts what they think.

6. avatar CHRIS says:

On a scale of 1-5 (5 being knowledgeable electronics person), how difficult is it to replace this chip? I’m wondering if it’s say, as easy as changing the processor on a computer mother board or, it it involves soldering connections on and / or, off.

Thanks,
    cd

7. avatar Manny says:

Hi there, I have a Samsung 50 TV a friend gave it to us because of the white spots in the screen. I don’t know what to buy and where and what to replace to fix this problem.
    Model# HLT5076SX/XAA
    Serial# AHFM3CKPA00182R
    Version => PH01
    Can u guys help me find the right chip for this tv and the lamp please.
    How much do you think chip and lamp price? Is it worth to fix? I don’t want to spend money over $300 just get this fix. I rather buy a new tv for $350 to $400.
    Any advice? please. I REALLY APPRECIATE IT.

• avatar Shelagh McNally says:

Hi Manny,
      I’ve asked one of our technical experts directly and here is his answer:

This problem is actually very common in these Samsung RPTVs using DLP technology. What happens is that the DMD chip on the DMD board (sometimes called the DLP chip) begins to have malfunctioning micro mirrors displayed as dead or white pixels on your screen. This can either be from regular wear and tear over the years or from poor ventilation or lack of dusting / servicing. The part you need is listed at samsungparts.com, I don’t necessarily buy parts from them but I get the part numbers from their site.
      This link will send you to the complete list of consumable parts and accessories for your tv and what you are looking for is the “DLP chip” There are tons of guides on youtube for Samsungs, even if its not for your particular model they are much alike once opened. http://www.samsungparts.com/Products/Parts_and_Accessories/HLT5076SX/XAA/Default.aspx

Hope this helps.

Regards,
      Shelagh

8. avatar curtisjnewell says:

I had the lamp replaced, and now its the chip. This tv I have gives a great picture, with a new lamp, should anything else major come up after replacing the chip? Aren’t these dlp’s the best bang for the buck, maybe they aren’t anymore? Hasn’t the main things been the lamp replacement, and the chip, on the Mitsubishi 57734?

• avatar Shelagh McNally says:

Hi Curtis,
      Usually when you replace the chip the TV starts to work like new. The other issue is something the color wheel/ballast goes but this is not as common. With a new lamp and new chip, the TV should be good for many hours of viewing. Keep us posted on how things are going.
      Regards,
      Shelagh

9. avatar Joe Rich says:

I have a 65 WD65638 Mitsubishi I need an outer Screen–also picked up a

samasung 55==KDFe551A20 it has white spots– I’m having an issue

finding a screen–can you use plexi glass as substitute or if not can I

swap the DLP chip—I think they’re inter-changeable.

• avatar Shelagh McNally says:

Hi Joe.
      While the DMD chips are manufactured by the same company, the board specifications may be different. The screen are probably the same material. It would be a size and shape issue between the manufacturers. Join our forum to run these by our experts. http://www.fixyourdlp.com/forum/