DLP Troubleshooting Guide: My projector won’t turn on!

Trouble Shooting Guide: DLP Prpjector won't turn onThere are several reasons that your DLP projector may not be turning on.

Before contacting your service rep or paying for a costly check-up, try these 5 troubleshooting tips.

1. Check your power: Is the power cord plugged in? Is the main power switch to the projector turned on?  cord. Has it come loose? Check to make sure the power cord is plugged in and the main power switch is turned on if the projector—including the fan, doesn’t operate at all.
  2. Check your connections. Is the image source connected to the projector? Are the cables between the projector and computer secure?
  3. Check your batteries. If you usually turn on the projector through the remote control, check the batteries.
  4. Check your temperature. Your projector has a built-in safety feature that shuts down the projector if it starts to overheat. Check that the filters are clean so air can circulate and keep the projector from overheating and shutting down. Your projector will have a status indicator that will flash if the projector is overheating.
  5. Check your lamp. If the projector lamp has exceeded its lamp life, the projector automatically stops working. The Lamp Replace indicator on the projector will be lit up or perhaps blinking. You may also have noticed a change lamp message appearing on screen  (have you been ignoring the message?). Be sure to buy only genuine projector lamps from an authorized dealer.

If none of these steps work, then consult your manual and call you local service representation for an appointment to check the computer.

If you’ve run through this checklist and your projector is still not working, contact your local repair centre.

Posted in FixYourDLP, Projector Lamp Replacement Guides Tagged with: , , , ,
15 comments on “DLP Troubleshooting Guide: My projector won’t turn on!
  1. avatar chan says:

Power light behind power button is flashing.and projector will not turn on

• avatar Shelagh McNally says:

Hi Chan,
      What model projector do you have? Usually the power lighting flashing is means the projector lamp needs to be replaced. If you give me the projector model and brand, I can find out what the green light means.
      Cheers,
      Shelagh

• avatar jennifer silva says:

my tv just wont turn on 0ptoma widescreen hd dlp model#RD50AUXA

• avatar Shelagh McNally says:

Hi Jennifer,
          I would need more information in order to help you. The first thing to check is how old the TV lamp is and if it has been replaced lately.
          Regards,
          Shelagh

2. avatar Roger Stevens says:

I have a Mitsubishi wd92a12 and just replaced the lamp on it. Now it won’t turn on all it does is blink a green light for 30 seconds then turns on for 30 seconds then turns off… Help please

• avatar Shelagh McNally says:

Hi Roger,
      There is a bug with this model with the green blinking light. If the installation went smoothly then try this troubleshooting tip:
      Press the “reset” button and hold for 10 seconds. You can also try to Press Power and Display buttons simultaneously and hold depressed for 20 seconds. This should turn the blinking green light turn to solid green.
      If not try unplug the TV from it’s power source for between 5 minutes and 24 hours. Disconnect ALL devices from the TV; DVD, Tuner, Cable Box.
      Rehook everything and then turn the TV to see if the blinking light has disappeared. If the green light continue to flash you may have failure of the DM Module Capacitors or a EEPROM Board failure or power supply failure. I am not an expert though. This website can give you more information: http://www.techlore.com/article/mitsubishi-blinking-green-light-repair-procedure. You could also join our forum (http://www.fixyourdlp.com/forum/) where there are more experts who can help you out. Hope this helps.
      Regards,
      Shelagh

3. avatar james Lynch says:

Can anyone tell me what my blinking light mean on my projector when the projector is turned off I have a steady red light when I turn it on the red light blinks turns to green and the status light lights up red It was working fine and then stopped my projector is a miss you Beashea XD206u. Please email me if you have any clue what this means

• avatar Shelagh McNally says:

Hi James,
      Your projector lamp probably needs to be replaced. If the lamp life has reached its end of life, the projector will turn on briefly and then turn off toe protect itself when it detects an old lamp.
      Cheers,
      Shelagh

4. avatar Nick says:

I’m having some trouble with a Mitsubishi HC900 projector. The projector powers on with two green lights (power and status) but there is no lamp output at all. I have two new lamps and an old one that should still work, but none of them will output anything.

I tested it with the lamp door open (while holding down the switch) and noticed each lamp powers on for a split second then shuts off. The projector continues to run with green lights but the lamp doesn’t come on. The fans also are running.

It’s possible that all three lamps are bad but a little unlikely. I’ve gone through the manual and searched for a few hours and haven’t found anything similar to my problem. Any ideas to point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!

• avatar Shelagh McNally says:

Hi Nick,
      How old are the lamps? When was the last time they were replaced? If the lamps are powering on and then turning off, the lamps may have reached end of life. The projector is reading them as end of life and shutting itself off to protect itself. I would start with putting new lamps into the projector and seeing if that solves the issue.
      Regards,
      Shelagh

5. avatar Jason says:

I have an Optoma 141hdx that has a flashing red power light and a solid red lamp light. The lamp lights up the colour wheel spins and then stops on a colour then the light fades out. This repeats 3 times before the red lights appear. The bulb had about 1000hrs but I have just tried a new bulb and the issue is still there. Has anyone encountered this before?

• avatar Shelagh McNally says:

Hey Jason.
      This sounds lke your color wheel or ballast needs to be replaced. The sign that it is stopping on a colir and then fading out is a good indication that the color wheel is faulty. Sorry for the bad news.
      Regards,
      Shelagh

• avatar Shelagh McNally says:

Hi Jason,
      It sounds like your color wheel needs to be replaced. When the wheel spins but gets got on one color, it’s an indication the ballast is worn out.
      Sorry for the bad news.
      Regards,
      Shelagh

6. avatar John Magill says:

Hi,
    I have a Dell 2400MP that won’t power on.
    It’s plugged into a known good power source, and when I plug the power cable into the device all lights flash on top for a millisecond, and then nothing when I press the power button.
    The cable fits snugly into the socket, so I don’t think it’s the connection.
    Could this be a bad lamp?

• avatar Shelagh McNally says:

Hi John,
      Did you reset the lamp timer? That’s the final step for replacing the lamp. Until it’s reset the projector thinks the lamp is still old. To reset the timer: Reset the lamp usage going to the On Screen Display Menu and finding the Lamp Reset menu. Scroll down to Lamp reset and choose Yes. This resets the timer to zero and the projector should turn on. The other problem might be the lamp itself. If it’s a generic lamp sometimes the projectors just can’t work with them. Hope this helps.
      Cheers,