DLP Troubleshooting Guide: My projector won’t turn on!

Trouble Shooting Guide: DLP Prpjector won't turn onThere are several reasons that your DLP projector may not be turning on.

Before contacting your service rep or paying for a costly check-up, try these 5 troubleshooting tips.

1. Check your power: Is the power cord plugged in? Is the main power switch to the projector turned on?  cord. Has it come loose? Check to make sure the power cord is plugged in and the main power switch is turned on if the projector—including the fan, doesn’t operate at all.
  2. Check your connections. Is the image source connected to the projector? Are the cables between the projector and computer secure?
  3. Check your batteries. If you usually turn on the projector through the remote control, check the batteries.
  4. Check your temperature. Your projector has a built-in safety feature that shuts down the projector if it starts to overheat. Check that the filters are clean so air can circulate and keep the projector from overheating and shutting down. Your projector will have a status indicator that will flash if the projector is overheating.
  5. Check your lamp. If the projector lamp has exceeded its lamp life, the projector automatically stops working. The Lamp Replace indicator on the projector will be lit up or perhaps blinking. You may also have noticed a change lamp message appearing on screen  (have you been ignoring the message?). Be sure to buy only genuine projector lamps from an authorized dealer.

If none of these steps work, then consult your manual and call you local service representation for an appointment to check the computer.

If you’ve run through this checklist and your projector is still not working, contact your local repair centre.

Tagged with: , , , ,
68 comments on “DLP Troubleshooting Guide: My projector won’t turn on!
  1. avatar chan says:

Power light behind power button is flashing.and projector will not turn on

Hi Chan,
      What model projector do you have? Usually the power lighting flashing is means the projector lamp needs to be replaced. If you give me the projector model and brand, I can find out what the green light means.
      Cheers,
      Shelagh

• avatar jennifer silva says:

my tv just wont turn on 0ptoma widescreen hd dlp model#RD50AUXA

Hi Jennifer,
          I would need more information in order to help you. The first thing to check is how old the TV lamp is and if it has been replaced lately.

• avatar Matt Kress says:

Tried six times exits on submit

Hi Matt,
          It’s the lamp then — it hasn’t been calibrated properly. Contact the seller and ask for a refund or a more authentic lamp.
          Shelagh

• avatar matt kress says:

DX399 Optoma Flashing green power light installed new bulb just flashing green power light. Will not turn on

Hi Matt,
          This is the signal that the lamp has failed. Try re-installing the lamp paying attention to all the connections. Also check that you have reset the lamp timer to zero so the projector registers the new lamp. The other possibility is that the lamp is not an OEM authentic lamp and hasn’t been properly calibrated. If you bought the lamp for a very reduced price the chances are it’s a counterfeit and won’t work in the projector. Contact the seller and ask for a refund or replacement lamp. First try the re-installation and see how it goes from there.

• avatar Patrick welsh says:

Hi I have an optoma hd33 and it won’t turn on I have just replaced the bulb the power light just flashes blue

Hi Patrick,
        Have you reset the lamp timer? If you haven’t reset it to zero hours the projector will think the current lamp is the old one that has run out of life.

2. avatar Roger Stevens says:

I have a Mitsubishi wd92a12 and just replaced the lamp on it. Now it won’t turn on all it does is blink a green light for 30 seconds then turns on for 30 seconds then turns off… Help please

Hi Roger,
      There is a bug with this model with the green blinking light. If the installation went smoothly then try this troubleshooting tip:
      Press the “reset” button and hold for 10 seconds. You can also try to Press Power and Display buttons simultaneously and hold depressed for 20 seconds. This should turn the blinking green light turn to solid green.
      If not try unplug the TV from it’s power source for between 5 minutes and 24 hours. Disconnect ALL devices from the TV; DVD, Tuner, Cable Box.
      Rehook everything and then turn the TV to see if the blinking light has disappeared. If the green light continue to flash you may have failure of the DM Module Capacitors or a EEPROM Board failure or power supply failure. I am not an expert though. This website can give you more information: http://www.techlore.com/article/mitsubishi-blinking-green-light-repair-procedure. You could also join our forum (http://www.fixyourdlp.com/forum/) where there are more experts who can help you out. Hope this helps.

3. avatar james Lynch says:

Can anyone tell me what my blinking light mean on my projector when the projector is turned off I have a steady red light when I turn it on the red light blinks turns to green and the status light lights up red It was working fine and then stopped my projector is a miss you Beashea XD206u. Please email me if you have any clue what this means

Hi James,
      Your projector lamp probably needs to be replaced. If the lamp life has reached its end of life, the projector will turn on briefly and then turn off toe protect itself when it detects an old lamp.
      Cheers,

4. avatar Nick says:

I’m having some trouble with a Mitsubishi HC900 projector. The projector powers on with two green lights (power and status) but there is no lamp output at all. I have two new lamps and an old one that should still work, but none of them will output anything.

I tested it with the lamp door open (while holding down the switch) and noticed each lamp powers on for a split second then shuts off. The projector continues to run with green lights but the lamp doesn’t come on. The fans also are running.

It’s possible that all three lamps are bad but a little unlikely. I’ve gone through the manual and searched for a few hours and haven’t found anything similar to my problem. Any ideas to point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!

Hi Nick,
      How old are the lamps? When was the last time they were replaced? If the lamps are powering on and then turning off, the lamps may have reached end of life. The projector is reading them as end of life and shutting itself off to protect itself. I would start with putting new lamps into the projector and seeing if that solves the issue.

5. avatar Jason says:

I have an Optoma 141hdx that has a flashing red power light and a solid red lamp light. The lamp lights up the colour wheel spins and then stops on a colour then the light fades out. This repeats 3 times before the red lights appear. The bulb had about 1000hrs but I have just tried a new bulb and the issue is still there. Has anyone encountered this before?

Hey Jason.
      This sounds lke your color wheel or ballast needs to be replaced. The sign that it is stopping on a colir and then fading out is a good indication that the color wheel is faulty. Sorry for the bad news.

Hi Jason,
      It sounds like your color wheel needs to be replaced. When the wheel spins but gets got on one color, it’s an indication the ballast is worn out.
      Sorry for the bad news.

6. avatar John Magill says:

Hi,
    I have a Dell 2400MP that won’t power on.
    It’s plugged into a known good power source, and when I plug the power cable into the device all lights flash on top for a millisecond, and then nothing when I press the power button.
    The cable fits snugly into the socket, so I don’t think it’s the connection.
    Could this be a bad lamp?

Hi John,
      Did you reset the lamp timer? That’s the final step for replacing the lamp. Until it’s reset the projector thinks the lamp is still old. To reset the timer: Reset the lamp usage going to the On Screen Display Menu and finding the Lamp Reset menu. Scroll down to Lamp reset and choose Yes. This resets the timer to zero and the projector should turn on. The other problem might be the lamp itself. If it’s a generic lamp sometimes the projectors just can’t work with them. Hope this helps.
      Cheers,

7. avatar Dalvin Noiheuan says:

I have a optima x600. It flashes green 10 times then red once.

Hi Dalvin,
      That is the signal that your projector lamp has reached end of life and needs to be replaced.

8. avatar Brock Tanner says:

Hi,

I have an Optima HD142X I bought last year. I use it very irregularly and haven’t used it since October. I turned it on yesterday and the fans turn on, however the lamp doesn’t, then I get a solid lamp light with flashing red (the instruction manual says lamp malfunction). I wanted to get a new lamp and give it a shot but I could not have used factory installed lamp more than 50 hours. Could it be something else?

Thanks

Hi Brock,
      You could try cleaning the air filter and checking all the lamp connectors. You could also take out the lamp and re-install it to see if it will turn on. Sometimes this helps but the lamp could also have been damaged if the projector gets moved around a lot. Hope this helps.

9. avatar Steve says:

No volume

Hi Steve,
      I would need more information such as the manufacturer and model number to help you.

10. avatar micheal johnson says:

Bought a new lamp for my Mitsubishi. Turn the TV and and a picture does come on but then flickers and turns itself off.

Hi Michael,
      First check that all the connections are secure and there is nothing loose. Sometimes a connection that is not fully engaged can cause this problem. The other thing to check is whether the lamp is an OEM authentic replacement lamp. If you bought it online from one of the larger sellers and the price was very low, then chances are it’s a counterfeit lamp that has not been properly calibrated to work with the TV optics. The TV fires up and then reads that the lamp is not calibrated and shuts down to protect itself. Ask for a refund from the seller and then buy from a registered OEM dealer. That should solve your problem. You can read more about http://www.fixyourdlp.com/2011/12/02/7-tips-for-spotting-counterfeits/
      You can also check our forum for more help on this issue. Please let me know how everything works out.

11. avatar Dennis says:

Hi my problem is when the movie play the lamp is on after a few minutes the lamp shutdown . And the warning air felter intake model cp 2215

Hi Dennis,
      You need to clean your air filters as they may be clogged and causing the projector to overheat. The other problem might be that the projector lamp has reached end of life. What brand is your projector? We have a library of manuals and you could probably look up yours to see if the end of lamp life warning lights have come on. The projector will also shut down after a few minutes if the lamp is getting old. The projector shuts off to protect itself. Hope this helps.
      Regards.

Hi Dennis,
      Start off cleaning your air filters. If they a dirty or clogged they will cause the inside to overheat and the projector will turn off to protect itself. Your lamp may also need replacing because it as reached end of life. I’m not sure what brand you have but check our library for your manual at http://www.fixyourdlp.com/category/projector-manuals/ and check t se if the lights are on for warning about end of lamp life. The projector will also shut down if the lamp timer says the lamp has reached end of life. Hope this info helps.

12. avatar Jose E. Montalvo Ramos says:

MP610 turns on lamp turns on white no on screen display, lamp turs off, green light stays on and fan is running.
    What could be the problem

Hi Jose,
      This sounds like your lamp has reached its end of life and needs to be replaced. If the full lamp hours has been reached, the projector will read the lamp timer and shut down to protect itself. Usually the green light on this model is the indicator for lamp life and when it lights up it time for a new lamp.
      Cheers,

13. avatar mragaa says:

Hello everyone,

Help! I bought a Dell 2400MP from ebay. It was advertised as “as new, no flaws”. Once I hooked it, the image has a deep green discoloration on it and there’s a weird smell of something burnt / burning. I used to own another piece of the same model and I know this is not a normal behavior. Any ideas of what could be wrong with it? Naturally, I need to initially diagnose the problem so I decide on my next step with the seller (potenial cheater) who sold it to me. Thank you.

Hi Mragga,
      This is a counterfeit lamp. It has all the classis signs. Ask for your money back as this lamp can never be properly calibrated to work with your projector. Sorry for the bad news.

14. avatar Bonne Neilzen Caculitan says:

Hello! My Acer Projector X1161P wont turn on, when i click the power button it stays red it should turn blue. I just used it last night.

Hi Bonne,
      That is a sign that your lamp has reached end of life. You can check the lamp life under the management menu. How old is the lamp? Have you ever replaced it? The other thing to check is whether the air filter has become clogged.
      Cheers,

15. avatar Elyse says:

Good evening! I own a Sharp XVZ-17000 projector and it’s worked perfectly for 5 years. Tried to turn it on yesterday (I watched it the day before with no problem) and the projector itself powers on, solid green light, the lamp light blinks green (as it always does to warm up) I hear the fans on and then the bulb never illuminates and after about a minute, the lamp light starts blinking red and the power light starts blinking green and then after about another minute the projector shuts itself down and keeps a steady red bulb light and red power light. This bulb is only about a month old. I’ve used a vacuum to suck out the housing and vents. Taken the bulb out and put it back in. Reset the lamp prob 20 times. This projector has been perfect and I have no idea what’s going on. I had just used it about 10 hours prior to trying to turn it on. Any help anybody could give would be so appreciated! Thanks so much! (Apologies if this posts twice)

Hi Elyse,
      Two things. The lamp you bought may be a counterfeit lamp. Did you buy it from an OEM recognized manufacturer? What you describe is a lamp that is not firing properly and getting the temperature to illuminate the screen. This happens with some generics and counterfeits is that they don’t have the right components to work with the projector. I would send the projector lamp back and ask for one with an authentic projector lamp. Did you touch any of the optics while vaccuming? That can damage your colour wheel optics. Try getting a new lamp first and check it for an authenicity label.
      Hope this helps,

16. avatar Muna says:

I have a Christie cp2000i Project but it won’t power up due to network connections

Hi Muna,
      This projector should be working with or without a network connection. The problem might not be the projector but the with the network. Are there any warning signs appearing on the projector indicating that the projector lamp is nearing it’s end of life? I would recommend disconnecting the projector from the network and seeing if it turns on. If it’s connected to a computer then check that connection.
      Good luck.

17. avatar John Stone says:

I have a Brookstone big shot UST that is about 7 months old. The other day it was plugged in but now powered on, I unplugged it and plugged it back in at a different location in my room, only to find that the projector would not come on. It is stuck with the LED power button indicator flashing red and pink. No matter what I try I cannot get it to turn back on. I also noticed that the projector is coming up as an available bluetooth connection. I do not believe that the bulb has burnt out but I am no expert

Hi John,
      The problem may be with the bluetooth connection. You may have triggered the Bluetooth audio feature by unplugging it. Try holding the
      Bluetooth Audio button to power off the projector lens and then back on. You can also try turning off the projector, press the restart button, and power back on. This should reset everything as well as the projector lens.
      Hope this helps.

18. avatar Kareem says:

I have a Epson ex5210 it has been control panel locked but my projector is turn off how to I unlock it so I can turn it on , please help

Hi Kareem,
      Try doing this: hold the Enter button on the projector’s control panel for seven seconds to unlock. That should unlock the control panel.
      Good luck.
      Cheers,

19. avatar Virginia Wilson says:

I have an Epson 6010 that won’t power on at all, no lights or anything. Outlet it’s plugged into is good. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Hi Virginia,
      A couple of things to check:
      1. Power cord is securely plugged in. Trying moving it to a different plug if if possible.
      2. Has the lamp reached end of life? How long has it been since you replaced it. Where there any warning signs appearing on screen. If there were and they were ignored the projector has shut down to protect itself. You need to replace the projector lamp. We have a tutorial here:
      3. If you have recently replaced the lamp then check all the connections. Try re-installing the lamp and reset the lamp timer. If the new lamp is still not working then it is counterfeit and not properly calibrated. You need to get a refund and buy an OEM lamp.
      4. Other problems could be the color wheel or ballast but these are more rare.
      Check these out and let me know if any of these solutions worked.
      All the best,

20. avatar Kathryn says:

My BenQ HT1075 projector won’t turn on when I press the power button. It is plugged into everything it needs to be including the power source all of which I have quadruple checked. Power has a steady red light and when I press the power button nothing changes.

21. avatar Joseph says:

I have an Optoma hd141x. The unit stopped powering on the other day. I ordered a new lamp for it which came in today. I installed it and when I press the power button, the blue light comes on for a moment and then goes red as well as the lamp light.

Any idea whats wrong with it?

Hi Joseph,
      Two possibilities: Did you reset the lamp timer back to zero? It’s the final step for installing a new lamp and if overlooked the projector assumes the old lamp is still inside. Try doing that and it should work. We have a tutorial on how to do that : http://www.fixyourdlp.com/2017/12/15/replacing-optoma-hd141x-projector-lamp/

Press MENU
      Select OPTIONS
      Select Lamp Settings
      Select Lamp Reset
      Select Yes
      If you have done this then the only other possibility is that the lamp is a counterfeit and not properly calibrated to work with your projector. If you bought is online at a very low price chances are it is a counterfeit and should be returned.
      Hope this helps.

22. avatar John Kleva says:

Hi I have an Optoma 142hdx projector when I push the power button the LED turns blue and nothing else happens no fan No Light No noise nothing I broke it down cleaned everything fans color wheel color wheel sensor and sprayed it up real good put it back together same thing Powers up with a blue LED 60 seconds later shuts off turns red and blinks 4 times and then stays red for standby neither the lamp indicator LED comes on or the overheating indicator is it possible to still a bulb or can I just reset it and how thanks

Hi John,
      You need to replace the projector lamp. That blue light is an indication that the lamp may have reached end of life and the projector is shutting down to protect itself. Start off replacing the lamp with an authentic lamp. The projector should turn on AFTER you have replaced the lamp and RESET the lamp timer. Hope this helps.

23. avatar Jacob says:

Hi,
    I have Optoma HD142X
    The unit stopped powering on the other day.Then pressed power button lits up from red to blue as if its working. But nothing happens next, no sound, fan is not powering up, bulb is not working as well.
    Checked the cord and the fuse same thing.
    What might be the problem?

Hi Jacob,
      It sounds like the projector lamp has reached end of life and is shutting off to protect itself. Have you checked the lamp hours to see if it needs to be replaced.

24. avatar Jim Myers says:

I have a Mitsubishi XD490 DLP projector, it quit working so I changed the bulb. Now when I push the power button it turns on for about5 seconds……HELP church is in the morning

Hello Rev Jim,
      So sorry your projector wasn’t working for service. The first thing to check is that you reset the lamp timer after replacing the lamp. If this has not been reset to zero the projector will think the lamp is still damaged and not turn on. Next you can try reinstalling the lamp to make sure all the connections are secure. Where did you buy your lamp? if it was on the Internet and was selling at a very low price, then chances are the lamp is counterfeit and not calibrated properly for your projector. If that is the case then you will need to return the lamp for a refund and then purchase at OEM lamp. If not of the above works then your colour wheel and ballast may have been damaged when the lamp exploded. You will have to take it in for service with a technician if this is the cause. God bless.

25. avatar Jim Myers says:

Replaced the bulb on a DLP Projector model XD490U and now it doesn’t turn on and stay on. Only runs for about 5 seconds.

Hi Jim,
      The first thing to check is that you reset the lamp timer after replacing the lamp. If this has not been reset to zero the projector will think the lamp is still damaged and not turn on. Next you can try reinstalling the lamp to make sure all the connections are secure. Where did you buy your lamp? if it was on the Internet and was selling at a very low price, then chances are the lamp is counterfeit and not calibrated properly for your projector. If that is the case then you will need to return the lamp for a refund and then purchase at OEM lamp. Good luck.

26. avatar Curtis P says:

Can you reset a lamp timer without the projector turning on?

Hi Curtis,
      Not really. If the projector is not turning on it’s because the lamp is not installed properly or hasn’t been calibrated properly so the projector can’t work with it. Try re-installing the lamp again to get the projector to turn. If after you have re-installed the lamp and the projector is still not turning on then you should ask for a replacement lamp that is an authentic OEM lamp.

27. avatar Anders says:

Hello, got a epson eh-tw6000w that only shows blue blinking (warmup) when trying to turn it on, it hasn´t been used for two years and has not been running for more then 100hours Before that. removed and reseated lamp but no luck. have removed powercable and tested with other Cable – same thing. is there a trick to reset lamp time without getting to the meny of it? like holding Power and Another button for 10 sec or something like that?

Hi Anders,
      Resetting the lamp timer is easy and should solve the problem. We have a tutorial you can check out: http://www.fixyourdlp.com/2018/09/19/replacing-the-epson-eh-tw6000-projector-lamp/
      To reset the lamp timer:

Press the MENU button on the remote control. The Lamp Reset Menu will appear.
      Scroll down to the RESET. Press ENTER.
      Scroll down to the option RESET ALL.
      A prompt appears asking if you want to replace the lamp.
      Select YES when the confirmation pop up screen is shown. Press ENTER.
      Press MENU to exit.
      Hope this helps.

28. avatar Hayden Phillips says:

I have an HC3000 and it won’t come on as it’s power light is flashing green and red and the status light is off. The manual said that meant the cover wasn’t on properly. Does that mean the cover for the lense or what?

Hi Hayden,
      That blinking light means the lamp cover is loose. Did you replace the projector lamp? If not, you should tighten the lamp cover and then get the projector turned on to check the lamp life left. It may be that you need to replace the lamp at the same time. Hope this helps.

29. avatar Unwise says:

I have an Epson EX7220. When initially plugged in, the power button glows blue. When I push the button and turn it on, it displays normal behavior- the power button and status button blink blue. The fan comes on high, and both buttons turn off. All lights are off on the projector, but the fan is running. After a few minutes the fan turns off, the machine beeps twice, and the lamp light glows orange. I cannot get any light/screen/menu/anything to come on so that I can troubleshoot.

I replaced the bulb with this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KOWJDXY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (I believe it’s OEM?) After replacing, the machine behaved the exact same way. No change. Could this bulb be broken as well?

Thank you for any insight you can provide on how to troubleshoot this issue.

Hi Unwise,
      From looking at the price of the lamp is probably a generic — which is not a bad thing for this projector especially if the projector is an older model. Sometimes with generics they are not calibrated properly and this can cause the projector to not work. Did you reset the lamp timer after replacing the lamp? If that wasn’t done the projector will think the new lamp has still reached end of life and shut off to protect itself. To reset:
      – Press MENU to display the RESET menu.
      – Press Enter.
      – A prompt will display asking you if you want to RESET LAMP HOURS.
      – Select YES and press ENTER.
      – Press MENU or ESC to exit the menu
      – The lamp hours will be reset to zero.
      We have a user guide that can be found here: http://www.fixyourdlp.com/2018/10/04/install-epson-ex7220-projector-lamp/

Also check the ventilation slots and the air filters. If they are blocked the projector will overheat immediately and turn off as well. Usually that combination of blue lights followed by orange is a blocked air filter or the fan not working properly. Start off by cleaning it and see if that helps out. Otherwise your fan may have stopped working and you will need to see a technician.
      Hope this helps.