Follow our easy guide to replacing the BenQ 59.J9301.CG1 lamp in your BenQ PB2240 projector.
Authentic is important
It can be confusing trying to find the proper BenQ 59.J9301.CG1 lamp for you BenQ PB2240 projector. The Internet has been flooded with companies offering “compatible” generic lamps at bargain prices. These are NOT authentic lamps and should be avoided.
Buying authentic guarantees a projector lamp created with genuine, non-hazardous materials by the original manufacturer. These lamps come with money-back guarantee and keep your warranty entact. It’s worth the few extra dollars to eliminate potential problems and hassles. Learn more about spotting dangerous projector lamps by reading our article: 7 tips for spotting counterfeits.
How to replace the BenQ 59.J9301.CG1 lamp
Your BenQ PB2240 projector will give you plenty of warnings when it’s time to replace the BenQ 59.J9301.CG1 lamp. You can expect up to 3,000 hours of use from the lamp depending on the frequency of use and whether the machine is maintained properly.
Your BenQ PB2240 projector will give you plenty of warnings when the BenQ 59.J9301.CG1 lamp is approaching its end of life. You can find out the number of hours left by accessing the Information/Lamp Hour menu.
Your first warning to replace the BenQ 59.J9301.CG1 lamp will show up when the lamp has been in operation for 1980 hours. If the projector is being run in Economic Mode you may continue until the second warning at 2980 hours.
Time is up! At 3000 hours the BenQ 59.J9301.CG1 is out of life. Time is up. The final warning will flash in the center of the BenQ PB2240 projector for 40 seconds and then shut down for good. The projector will not turn on until the BenQ 59.J9301.CG1 lamp has been replaced.
Before changing the lamp:
- Reduce the risk of electrical shock by disconnecting the power cord on the BenQ PB2240 projector.
- Reduce the risk of severe burns by allowing the projector to cool for at least 45 minutes.
Step-by-step instructions for changing the BenQ 59.J9301.CG1 projector lamp
- The lamp cover is found on the bottom of the projector. Turn the projector over onto soft surface to protect the top of the projector. Loosen the two screws holding the BenQ PB2240 lamp cover in place. (Use a magnetic screwdriver to make the whole process easier.)
- Remove the lamp cover and place it to one side.
- Loosen the screw on theBenQ 59.J9301.CG1 lamp. Be sure not to loose the screw as the projector will not turn on unless the lamp is properly secured into the projector. Using a magnetic-head screwdriver will ensure you don’t accidentally drop the secure into the projector!
- Grab the sides on the BenQ 59.J9301.CG1 lamp and gently pull the BenQ 59.J9301.CG1 lamp out of the projector. Pulling too quickly can cause the bulb to shatter. Learn what to do should the bulb shatter.
- Insert the new BenQ 59.J9301.CG1 lamp making sure the handle is fully locked. Tighten the screw. If the screw is too loose or too tight, the projector may not turn on.
- Re-install the BenQ PB82240 lamp cover and tighten the screw.
- Reset the total lamp operation timer.
NOTE: The BenQ 59.J9301.CG1 lamp contains mercury and should not be thrown into regular garbage. Recycle your used lamps! If you bought from an authentic manufacturer they will recycle the lamp for you at no extra cost (another reason to buy authentic lamps).
Step 3: Reset the lamp counter
It’s important to only reset the lamp timer when the BenQ 59.J9301.CG1 lamp has been replaced. Resetting the lamp timer without changing the BenQ 59.J9301.CG1 lamp can cause significant harm to your BenQ PB2240 projector.
- Press and hold up arrow button on the projector for 3 seconds to display the total used lamp time.
- Press AUTO on either the projector or on the remote control. Scroll down to the LAMP HOUR TIMER. An adjustment message will appear.
- Press AUTO to reset the lamp hours. Press EXIT.
Extending the life of the BenQ 59.J9301.CG1 lamp:
- Keep your air filters clean to avoid overheating the projector.
- Use the Lamp Power option on the BenQ PB2240 projector and set to Economic Mode to reduce the amount of power used but extend lamp life.
- Learn more with Top tips for extending DLP projector lamp life