Replace the BenQ 5J.J0405.001 lamp in your BenQ MP777 projector in 3-easy steps. Just follow our step-by-step guide.
Step 1: Buy authentic lamps
The Internet has been swamped with companies selling generic, compatible BenQ 5J.J0405.001 lamps. Each of these copy-cat manufacturers claim their product is equal to an OEM lamp. Knock-off compatible lamps will never be as good as the original lamps and can seriously harm your BenQ MP777 projector.
You pay for what you get and in the case of lower-priced generic lamps it’s a long list of problems:
- generics have a shorter lamp life than original lamps
- compatible lamps are made with toxic materials and carcinogenic parts including Krypton-85
- knock off lamps are prone to explosions
- generics will cause damage to the sensitive electronics in your projectors
- compatibles don’t offer guarantee or refunds and will void your warranty.
Save yourself unnecessary headaches and buy an authentic BenQ 5J.J0405.001 from a recognized dealer. You’ll be getting a far superior product and tech support from an OEM manufacturer. Learn the 7 Ways to Spot a Counterfeit Lamp.
Step 2: Know when to replace the BenQ 5J.J0405.001 lamp
You can expect up to 3,000 hours of lamp life with your BenQ 5J.J0405.001 lamp as long as you install an authentic lamp and do regular maintenance including cleaning the filters in your BenQ MP777 projector.
Your BenQ MP777 projector will give you plenty of warning when the end of life for the BenQ 5J.J0405.001 is approaching. On the projector itself, you’ll notice the Lamp Indicator will light red. The following warning messages will also appear on screen:
First warning: The BenQ 5J.J0405.001 lamp has been in operation equivalent to 2500 hours. Install a new lamp for optimal performance. If the BenQ MP777 projector is running in Econo Mode, you have up to 2950 hours before changing the lamp.
Second Warning: The BenQ 5J.J0405.001 lamp has been in operation equivalent to 2950 hours. You should replace the lamp immediately.
Third Warning: The BenQ 5J.J0405.001 lamp is approaching it’s end of life and has been in operation equivalent to 3000 hours. Change the BenQ 5J.J0405.001 lamp immediately to avoid having the projector shut down.
Final Warning: The BenQ MP777 projector has shut down and the BenQ 5J.J0405.001 lamp MUST be replaced before the projector will operate normally.
Step 3: Replacing the BenQ 5J.J0405.001 projector lamp
IMPORTANT NOTE: The BenQ MP777 projector operates at an extremely high temperature. Let the projector cool for a least 45 minutes before replacing the BenQ 5J.J0405.001 projector lamp. The projector should be cool to the touch. Don’t rush it or you may end up with a nasty burn.
2. Loosen both screws found on either side of the BenQ MP777 projector.
4. Remove and dispose of the protective film covering the BenQ 5J.J0405.001 lamp.
5. Press the connector on the side to loosen the BenQ 5J.J0405.001 lamp.
6. Loosen the screw holding the BenQ 5J.J0405.001 lamp in place.
7. Lift the handle so that it stands up. Using the handle, slowly pull the BenQ 5J.J0405.001 lamp out of the BenQ MP777 projector. Pulling out too quickly may cause the bulb to break. If this happens go to: What to do when your projector lamp explodes.
NOTE: The BenQ 5J.J0405.001 lamp contains mercury and should not be thrown into regular garbage. Recycle your used lamps! If you bought from an authentic manufacturer they will recycle the lamp for you at no extra cost (another reason to buy authentic lamps).
8. Lower the new BenQ 5J.J0405.001 lamp first into the connector on the projector. Reconnect the lamp connector.
9. Tighten the screw that secures the BenQ 5J.J0405.001 lamp. NOTE: Loose screw may cause a bad connection. Ensure the handle is fully laid flat and locked in place.
10. Replace the new protection film that comes with the new BenQ 5J.J0405.001 lamp.
11. Replace the lamp cover on the BenQ MP777 projector.
12. Tighten the side screws on the BenQ MP777 lamp cover.
13. Turn the BenQ MP777 projector on.
14. Reset the Lamp Timer.
Resetting the Lamp Setting Menu
It’s important to reset the Lamps Settings menu in order for your BenQ MP777 projector to accurately track the life of your newly installed BenQ 5J.J0405.001 lamp. Failure to properly set the lamp can result in the projector stopping suddenly.
1. After startup logo, open the On-Screen Display (OSD) menu.
2. Go to the SYSTEM SETUP: Advanced > Lamp Settings menu.
3. Press ENTER to display the Lamp Settings page.
4. Choose Reset Lamp Timer to display the message: Reset Lamp Timer?
5. Click reset. The lamp time is now set to ’0′ and the projector will begin tracking the lamp life of the newly installed.
NOTE: Only reset this option in a new lamp as been installed other you can damage your projector.
Prolong BenQ 5J.J0405.001 lamp life:
- Keep your air filters clean to avoid overheating the projector.
- Use the Econo mode on the BenQ MP777 projector and set to Economic Mode to reduce the amount of power used but extend lamp life.
- Learn more with Top tips for extending DLP projector lamp life.
If you’re interested in saving some money and recycling why not think about replacing just the bulb instead of the entire lamp cage? By only replacing the BenQ 5J.J0405.001 bulb and re-using the actual lamp cage. It’s not as hard as it sounds and we have even created a video tutorial to show you how.