Follow our 3-step guide to a new BenQ 5J.J1S01.001 projector lamp for your BenQ CP220 projector.
When the BenQ CP220 projector is in operation, the number of hours of lamp life is automatically calculated by the built-in timer. You can expect up to 3,000 hours from the BenQ 5J.J1S01.001.
Step 1: Know when to replace
First Warning: The BenQ 5J.J1S01.001 lamp has been in operation for 2800 hours. You can continue using the projector if you have turned on the Econo Mode, until the lamp reaches 2950 hours of usage.
Second Warning: The BenQ 5J.J1S01.001 lamp has been in operation for 2950 hours. Replace the lamp as soon as possible to keep the BenQ CP220 projector working at optimum levels.
Third warning: The BenQ 5J.J1S01.001 lamp has been in operation for 3000 hours. You’ll see this message for 30 seconds along with the LAMP indicator lighting up red for 40 seconds. Replace the lamp immediately.
Final warning: You’re out of time! The BenQ 5J.J1S01.001 has reached end of life. The projector will shutdown in 40 seconds. The lamp MUST be replaced immediately before the BenQ CP220 projector will turn back on.
Step 2: Buying an authentic lamp
Be sure the purchase an authentic BenQ 5J.J1S01.001 projector lamp for your BenQ CP220 projector. Although generic lamps seem like a bargain, you avoid knock-off “compatible” lamps. You get what you pay for and in the case of generic lamps it’s usually a long list of problems:
- shorter lamp life than original lamps
- toxic materials and carcinogenic parts including Krypton-85
- prone to explosions
- incompatibility causing damage to the sensitive electronics in your projectors
- no guarantee or refunds
Save yourself unnecessary headaches and buy authentic from a recognized dealer. You’ll be getting a far superior product with a replacement guarantee and tech support.
Step 3: Install the new BenQ 5J.J1S01.001 lamp
Before changing the lamp:
- Reduce the risk of electrical shock by disconnecting the power cord on the BenQ CP220 projector.
- Reduce the risk of severe burns by allowing the projector to cool for at least 45 minutes.
- The lamp cover is found on the bottom of the projector. Turn the projector over onto soft surface to protect the top of the projector. Loosen the two screws holding the BenQ CP220 lamp cover in place. (Use a magnetic screwdriver to make the whole process easier.)
- Remove the lamp cover and place it to one side.
- Loosen the screw on the BenQ 5J.J1S01.001 lamp. Be sure not to loose the screw as the projector will not turn on unless the lamp is properly secured into the projector. Using a magnetic-head screwdriver will ensure you don’t accidentally drop the screw into the projector!
- Gently disconnect the BenQ 5J.J1S01.001 lamp connectors from the BenQ CP220 projector.
- Click up the wire handle and gently pull the BenQ 5J.J1S01.001 lamp out. Pulling too quickly can cause the bulb to shatter. Learn what to do should the bulb shatter.
- Insert the new BenQ 5J.J1S01.001 lamp making sure the handle is fully locked.
- Tighten the screw on the lamp.
- Re-connect the lamp connectors to the BenQ CP220 projector.
- Re-install the BenQ CP120C lamp cover and tighten the screw.
- Reset the total lamp hour timer.
NOTE: The BenQ 5J.J1S01.001 lamp contains mercury and should not be thrown into regular garbage. Recycle your used lamps! If you bought from an authentic manufacturer they will recycle the lamp for you at no extra cost (another reason to buy authentic lamps!
Resetting the Lamp Hour Timer
It’s important to only reset the lamp timer when the BenQ 5J.J1S01.001 lamp has been replaced. Resetting the lamp timer without changing the BenQ 5J.J1S01.001 lamp can cause significant harm to your BenQ CP120C projector.
- Press and hold the Exit 5 button on the BenQ MP610 projector for 5 seconds to display the total used lamp time.
- Press Auto on the projector or on the remote control to reset the Lamp Hour to “0”.
- Wait about 5 seconds to let the on screen display (OSD) disappear.
- Only reset the Lamp Hour when a new lamp has been installed in order that the life BenQ 5J.J1S01.001 can be properly tracked and prevent the projector shutting down unexpectedly.
Extending the life of the BenQ 5J.J1S01.001 lamp:
- Keep your air filters clean to avoid overheating the projector.
- Use the Lamp Power option on the BenQ CP220 projector and set to Economic Mode to reduce the amount of power used but extend lamp life.
- Learn more with Top tips for extending DLP projector lamp life.
Looking for a less expensive option but more eco-friendly option? Want more information? Watch our step-by-step video on replacing only the BenQ 5J.J1S01.001 bulb instead of the entire lamp housing.