Follow our easy guide to a new BenQ 5J.J1Y01.001 projector lamp for your BenQ SP831 projector.
STEP 1: Buy the right projector lamp
It can be confusing trying to find the proper BenQ 5J.J1Y01.001 projector lamp for you BenQ SP831 projector. The Internet has been flooded with companies offering “compatible” generic lamps at bargain prices. These are NOT authentic lamps and should be avoided.
Buying authentic guarantees a projector lamp created with genuine, non-hazardous materials by the original manufacturer. These lamps come with money-back guarantee and keep your warranty entact. It’s worth the few extra dollars to eliminate potential problems and hassles. Learn more about spotting dangerous projector lamps by reading our article: 7 tips for spotting counterfeits.
Say yourself hassles and protect your health — buy an authentic BenQ 5J.J1Y01.001 projector lamp.
STEP 2: Know when to replace
You can expect up to 4,000 hours of lamp life before you need to replace the projector lamp.
When it’s time to replace the projector BenQ 5J.J1Y01.001 lamp you notice the Lamp Indicator begins to blink red.
Warning messages will also begin appearing on screen letting you know how much longer you have before you must replace the BenQ 5J.J1Y01.001 projector lamp.
To obtain the projector lamp hour information:
1. Press MENU. Press the arrow key to highlight the Advanced Setup menu.
2. Highlight the Lamp option. Press ENTER to display the Lamp page.
3. Scroll down to highlight Lamp Hours. Press ENTER to display the Lamp Hours information page.
4. To leave the menu, press MENU.
As the BenQ 5J.J1Y01.001 projector lamp reaches its end of life, warning messages will also begin appearing on screen letting you know how much longer you have before you must replace the BenQ 5J.J1Y01.001 projector lamp.
First Warning Screen:
The BenQ 5J.J1Y01.001 lamp projector has been in operation for 3000 hours and a new lamp should be installed as soon as possible. If you have set the projector lamp on ECO mode you can continue using the projector until the 3950 hour lamp warning is shown.
Second Warning Screen:
The BenQ 5J.J1Y01.001 lamp has been in operation for 3950 hours. It is strongly recommended that you replace the lamp especially if you notice that the brightness level has diminished drastically.
Final Warning Screen:
Step 3: Replacing the BenQ 5J.J1Y01.001 lamp
Before replacing the BenQ 5J.J1Y01.001 lamp:
- Reduce the risk of electrical shock by disconnecting the power cord on the BenQ SP831 projector.
- Reduce the risk of severe burns by allowing the projector to cool for at least 45 minutes. The BenQ SP831 operates under high temperatures.
- Protect the BenQ SP830 projector’s top surface by placing it face down on a soft surface. Turn the projector over and loosen the screws on the lamp cover.
- Remove the lamp cover. Put the cover to one side making sure not to loose the screw.
- Loosen the screw holding the BenQ 5J.J1Y01.001 lamp in place. A magnetic-head screwdriver will make it easier to remove the screw.
- Using the wire handle, slowly pull the BenQ 5J.J1Y01.001 lamp out of the projector. Never force the lamp out of the projector; pulling too quickly can cause the bulb to shatter. Learn what to do if the bulb breaks.
- Hold the new BenQ 5J.J1Y01.001 lamp and align the two locators on the lamp with the holes on the projector. Once aligned, then insert the lamp
all the way into the projector.
- Tighten the screw that secures the BenQ 5J.J1Y01.001 lamp. A loose screw may cause a bad connection while a over tightened screw may cause the lamp to not work. Ensure the wire handle is fully flat and locked in place.
- Replace the lamp cover on the BenQ SP830 projector.
- Tighten the screws that secure the lamp cover and restart the projector to reset the lamp timer.
NOTE: The BenQ 5J.J1Y01.001 lamp contains mercury and should not be thrown into regular garbage. Recycle your used lamps! If you bought from an authentic manufacturer they will recycle the lamp for you at no extra cost (another reason to buy authentic lamps).
Resetting the lamp timer
It’s important to set the lamp timer so the BenQ SP831 can accurately track the life of the newly installed BenQ 5J.J1Y01.001 lamp.
- After the startup logo, press MENU and then press the down arrow key until the Advanced Setup menu is highlighted.
- Scroll down to highlight Lamp and press ENTER. The Lamp page will display.
- Scroll down to highlight Reset Lamp Timer and press ENTER.
- A warning message displays asking if you want to reset the lamp timer.
- Highlight Reset and press ENTER. The lamp time will be reset to ‘0’.
- Do not reset if the lamp is not new or replaced as this could cause damage.
Extend the life of the BenQ 5J.J1Y01.001 lamp:
- Keep your air filters clean to avoid overheating the BenQ SP831 projector.
- Setting Lamp Power to Economic Mode. To set the Econo Mode: Go into the SYSTEM SETUP: Advanced > Lamp Settings > Lamp Mode.
- Learn more with Top tips for extending DLP projector lamp life.