Follow this 3-step guide to replace the BenQ 5J.J2605.001 lamp in your BenQ W6500 projector.
Step 1: When to replace the BenQ 5J.J2605.001 lamp
Your BenQ W6500 projector will give you plenty of warnings when it’s time to replace the BenQ 5J.J2605.001 lamp. You can expect up to 3,000 hours of use from the lamp depending on the frequency of use and whether the machine is maintained properly.
Your BenQ W6500 projector will give you plenty of warnings when the BenQ 5J.J2605.001lamp is approaching its end of life. You can find out the number of hours left by accessing the Information/Lamp Hour menu.
Your first warning to replace the BenQ 5J.J2605.001 lamp will show up when the lamp has been in operation for 2000 hours. If the projector is being run in Economic Mode you may continue until the second warning at 2980 hours.
The second warning appears at 2980 hours–the BenQ 5J.J2605.001 is approaching end of life and should be replaced lamp immediately.
Time is up! At 3000 hours the BenQ 5J.J2605.001 is out of life. Time is up. The final warning will flash and then the BenQ W6500 will shut down for good. The projector will not turn on until the BenQ 5J.J2605.001 lamp has been replaced.
Step 2: Buying the best BenQ 5J.J2605.001 lamp
It can be confusing trying to find the proper BenQ 5J.J2605.001 lamp for your BenQ W6500 projector. The Internet has been flooded with companies offering “compatible” generic lamps at bargain prices. These are NOT authentic lamps and should be avoided.
Your BenQ W6500 projector is a sophisticated machine with sensitive electronic components. The BenQ 5J.J2605.001 projector lamp has been designed specifically to keep your projector operating at optimum levels. Generic “compatible” lamps are made with copycat technology that use inferior and often toxic materials.
Generic lamps present many problems:
Learn how to spot a counterfeit lamp and their associated problems:
- shorter lamp life than original lamps
- toxic materials and carcinogenic parts including Krypton-85
- prone to explosions
- incompatibility causing damage to the sensitive electronics in your projectors
- no guarantee or refunds – you’re on your own to get a refund from the company when you buy from a reseller.
Say yourself the hassle and buy an authentic BenQ 5J.J2605.001 lamp.
Step 3: Replacing the BenQ 5J.J2605.001 lamp
Before changing the lamp:
- Reduce the risk of electrical shock by disconnecting the power cord on the BenQ W6500 projector.
- Reduce the risk of severe burns by allowing the projector to cool for at least 45 minutes.
Step-by-step instructions for changing the BenQ 5J.J2605.001 projector lamp
- The lamp cover is located on the left side of the BenQ W6500 projector. Loosen the two screws holding the BenQ 5J.J2605.001 lamp cover in place. (Use a magnetic screwdriver to make the whole process easier.)
- Remove the lamp cover and place it to one side.
- Lift up the wire handle on the BenQ 5J.J2605.001 lamp and gently it out of the lamp out of the BenQ W6000 projector. Pulling too quickly can cause the bulb to shatter. Learn what to do if the bulb breaks.
- Life the wire handle on the new BenQ 5J.J2605.001 lamp and slide it into the BenQ W6000 projector.
- Tighten the screw on the new BenQ 5J.J2605.001 lamp. Be sure not to tighten the screw too tight or leave it too loose or the projector may not turn on.
- Put the BenQ W6000 lamp cover back onto the projector. Tighten the two screws holding the cover in place.
- Reset the total lamp operation timer.
NOTE: The BenQ 5J.J2605.001 lamp contains mercury and should not be thrown into regular garbage. Recycle your used lamps! If you bought from an authentic manufacturer they will recycle the lamp for you at no extra cost (another reason to buy authentic lamps).
Reset the lamp counter
It’s important to only reset the lamp timer when the BenQ 5J.J2605.001 lamp has been replaced. Resetting the lamp timer without changing the BenQ 59.J9301.CG1 lamp can cause significant harm to your BenQ W6500 projector.
- After the start-up logo, press MENU and then press the arrow keys to highlight the Advanced Setup menu.
- Scroll down and highlight Lamp Settings. Press ENTER to display the Lamp Settings page.
- Scroll down to highlight Reset Lamp Timer.
- Press ENTER to display the warning message asking if you want to reset the lamp timer.
- Scroll to highlight Reset.
- Press ENTER. The lamp time will be reset to “0”.
Extending the life of the BenQ 5J.J2605.001 lamp:
- Keep your air filters clean to avoid overheating the projector.
- Use the Lamp Power option on the BenQ W6500 projector and set to Economic Mode to reduce the amount of power used but extend lamp life.
- Learn more with Top tips for extending DLP projector lamp life