6 common projector problems after installing a new lamp

6 problems after installing a new projector lampHere are solutions to the six most common projector problems that happen after installing a new projector lamp!

Sometimes things don’t go a planned after installing a projector lap. Here  are the solutions to the six most common projector problems.

Problem #1: My projector won’t turn on after I’ve installed my new lamp.

Solution: Check the power cord, lamp cover and lamp connections.

Before contacting customer service, be sure to first check that the projector power cord is plugged in and properly secured. Check the back lamp cover – if it’s loose the projector won’t turn on.  If this doesn’t solve the problem, then open up the lamp cover and check the lamp connections. If the screws are too loose or too tight, the projector will not turn on.

Problem #2: My projector is getting too hot after replacing the lamp

Solution: Clean your air filters and ventilation holes.

The main reason a projector starts to heat up is because the air filters or ventilation holes are clogged with dust or other debris. DLP projectors operate at high heat and most have one or more fans that blow air around the components to cool them off. A build up of dust prevents proper air circulation and can cause the projector to become very hot and the lamp to explode. When this happens, the projector temperature controls will go off. Always clean your filters after replacing the projector lamp. Use a can of compressed air and blow filters and ventilation holes dust free.

when replacing your projector lamp goes wrongProblem #3: The picture is fine but the onscreen message says to replace the lamp even though it’s new!

Solution: You need to reset the lamp timer.

Your projector has a Lamp Timer or Lamp Hour Counter that automatically tracks lamp usage. It’s been designed to send you warning messages on screen and to trigger the Lamp Indicator when the projector lamp is approaching end of life. Many projectors will turn off automatically when the end of lamp hours has been reached – whether the lamp is new or not. Always reset your lamp timer after replacing the lamp. Check out our lamp replacements guides or your projector manual for instructions.

Problem #4: The picture is much dimmer.

Solution: Re-install the new bulb or replace the generic lamp previously installed.

This problem usually only happens when you have replaced only the bulb and not the entire housing. Check to make sure the bulb has been installed correctly. Purchasing a bare bulb is an economical option but you have to make sure it’s been installed properly. It should be flush with the front of the lamp housing cage and the new bulb should sit exactly in the same placement as the old bulb. If the new bulb is off center or not aligned properly your image will be dim. Removing the bulb and re-installing it more carefully should take care of a dim picture.

Problem #5: Projector turns on for a minute and then shuts off.

Solution: Clean the fans and filters. Replace the generic lamp.

Projectors will turn themselves off automatically if they detect any problems. Cleaning the projector of all dust and dirt will make the components work together in harmony. If dust is not the problem, then it’s the actual lamp. Have you installed a genuine OEM projector lamp? Generic, compatible lamps don’t operate properly in most projectors causing them to out of balance. This will make the projector shut down automatically. The solution for this problem is to replace the generic lamp with a genuine OEM lamp.

Problem #6: The screen color is wrong and the picture is flickering.

Solution: Your colour wheel may need to be replaced.

Usually the color is off with an older, dimmer lamp. However, since the projector lamp only has one color – white – the problem is usually with the internal optics. The color wheel or other optical components may have been damaged while the lamp was being replaced. Also installing generic lamps can damage the sophisticated and sensitive components such as the color wheel and DLP chip. The only solution for this problem is to contact a service rep.

Posted in Counterfeit Lamp Awareness, FixYourDLP, Projector Lamp Replacement Guides Tagged with: , ,
115 comments on “6 common projector problems after installing a new lamp
  1. avatar Zahid says:

Really nice help

2. avatar Xavier says:

I installed a new lamp and after some one month there was dark spots at the bottom left of the screen then more and more untill it engulfs the entire projection. What is the solution to this?

Hi Xavier,
      It sounds like a lamp failure. Was this a generic lamp or original OEM? It may have broken the colour wheel. I suggest joining our forum to ask advice from our experts.

• avatar Sam Lujan says:

Hey I have 65 inch sharp dlp projection tv it’s shows from a light that has power but when I push that power button light goes off and never comes back on so tv doesn’t on a all frustrating

Hi Sam,
          You have reached end of lamp life and the projector is switching itself off to protect itself from an old lamp past its prime. How old is the lamp and when was the last time you changed it? That is usually the main reason for the TV not turning on.

3. avatar Eldon Floyd says:

I just installed a new lamp in my Mitsubishi XD490U, the picture is still not working. There is power but the lamp does not light up. What can I do?

Hi Eldon,
      How is the picture not working? If you have a picture with colour that is off, it may be the colour wheel. If the screen is still dark, it may be the projector not registering the newly installed lamp. Did you reset the lamp timer after installation. Please send us more information and we will try to solve the problem.

4. avatar john says:

recieved 59 in projection as present. after 4 months the tv started to go off by itself. i have replaced the lamp,the
    stupid t. keeps going off every 30 minutes to 2 minutes im going bonkers.

Hi John,
      Did you reset the lamp timer to zero? If it’s wasn’t reset when the lamp was changed that can cause automatic shutdown.

5. avatar Dimitris Mathio says:

Hi there!
    i have a benq w1100.Yesterday as i was watching a movie i pressed the pip button and it stuck completely.
    I took the power cord out and replugged it.since then the projector will not operate.The lamp starts(no image) and after 10 sec you can see the image flashing and then the lamp goes off.
    What can be the problem?
    I am leaving in iraq and there is no service here!
    Please Help!thank you!

Hi Dimitris,
      How old is the lamp? It sounds like the lamp has failed and needs to be replaced. You need to check the lamp timer and see if there are any warnings showing up. Here is a link to the manual: http://www.projectorcentral.com/pdf/projector_manual_6108.pdf
      It will show you how to find the lamp timer information and the warnings associated with the end of lamp life.
      Hope this helps.

6. avatar Art says:

I have a benq w1070. Replaced the lamp and when turning on the power button turns green and after a few seconds the word lamp turns red. No light coming out of the lense. Second bulb I have tried.

Hi Art,
      Did you rest the lamp timer? Unless you reset it back to zero the projector will assume the lamp has reached end of life and still needs a new lamp. The projector will turn itself off automatically to prevent it the old lamp being used. Have you consulted the BenW1070 manual for the exact instructions on how to reset the lamp timer? You can find it here: http://www.manualslib.com/manual/422315/Benq-W1070.html

• avatar Joe says:

if the projector automatically turns off because it thinks the lamp has reached its end life, how can you reset the timer? Doesn’t the lamp need to be on so you can see the menu to reset the timer?

Hi Joe,
          You can usually see the reset menu using the remote control. It depends on what type of model you have. On many you can use the menu bar and scroll down to the function associated with the lamp timer. If you let us know what type of projector you have, I can send you specific reset instructions.

7. avatar Ken says:

My projectors (infocus x10) lamp light went on after I gave it a good cleaning. I bought a new lamp and the light is still on. Looking at the old lamp I can’t see any obvious marks of wear or damage. Looks identical to the new one. Is there any logical explanation for this? I opened it up to see if anything was loose, but everything looks okay.

Hi Ken,
      The lamp may have been damaged when you removed it to clean it. How long was the lamp used for? Whenever you put a new lamp in you have to replace the lamp timer or the projector thinks it’s an old lamp that has reached end of life and keeps shutting off. What brand is yours projector? Infocus has several models. I would recommend you join our forum as well where there are more experts to help you out. Try resetting the lamp timer first.

8. avatar Todd Princl says:

I have a Mitsubishi HC4900. It will not let me reset the timer. The hours stay the same. When I press the three buttons at the same time the projector powers up and the status light keeps blinking. My hours stay the same at 3784. What am I doing wrong?

Hi Todd,
      Have you tried this procedure:
      Plug in the power cord and reset the lamp operation time by holding down the arrow keys and POWER buttons on the control panel at the same time about 3 seconds.
      Unless these 3 buttons are pressed at the same time, the lamp operation time isn’t reset. Make sure that the STATUS indicator blinks twice and the lamp operation time is reset successfully. The projector doesn’t turn on if the lamp cover isn’t attached securely. Be sure to reset the lamp operation time whenever you replace the lamp. Do not reset the lamp operation time unless you replace the lamp. Here is a link to the manual http://www.manualslib.com/manual/104639/Mitsubishi-Hc4900.html?page=36
      I hope this helps. I would recommend joining our forum as well where there are experts who can help out more.

9. avatar Kimberly says:

I have the olens xpj projector. You can hear the movie playing but the picture isnt showing up. The bulb is producing light and I even tried replacing it with a new bulb that came with it…..after doing that there was a blue vertical bar for a second then it went away and continued to do the same thing the old bulb did. I cant even pull up the menu settings or anything. This is my first projector and I’ve not had any previous experience with them. I dont think mine has a timer that needs reset. Do halogen bulbs have a shelf life? Also, when one goes bad does it still produce light?

Hi Kimberly,
      This sounds like a problem with your diffusior or the integrator lens. You could also check to make sure the lamp is securely screwed into the projector because anything lose may cause the vertical blue bar. What kind of halogen did you buy? If it’s not authentic from a recognized OEM manufacturer, the problem may be with the actual bulb. I would contact that manufacturer and get a technician to look at the projector.

10. avatar achraf says:

Hello sir,

We have changed a board which contains the ports (SDI A/SDI B) and ethernet ports ..etc. well after changing them and after installing a new lamp as well we turned on the projector, then we projected a movie and the problem was that only half of the image is projected in the cinema screen.

is it because we got missing PCF files or is it something else. thanks

11. avatar Konrad F. says:

Hey Shelagh,
    Thanks for your great article! I have a question I recently replaced my lamp in my viewsonic projector. Now the projector works (the projector menu comes out, the light comes out of the projector) but the picture from my wii u, ps4, and cable box won’t come though. Other then the menu on the cable, that comes though but not the actual picture. Any suggestions? I have connected with HDMI and have tried multiple cords for each. Just won’t show picture from devices. Thanks, Konrad

Hi Konrad,
      Have you checked the setup from the WII? It may have lost the information when you replaced the lamp. Sometimes the projector goes back to factory setup when you replace the lamp and you need to reconfigure. What Viewsonic model is it? I can ask my techies here for more specific information. You can also try joining our forum where there are people there who can figure out what needs to be done. http://www.fixyourdlp.com/forum/ Sorry for the lame advice.

12. avatar Mark Olson says:

I have a Mitisubishi xl2u and have replaced two separate new lamps, it still won’t start the lamp. initially, the power and lamp leds are green, then the power led turns red and the lamp stays green but starts blinking. after about 10 seconds, it turns off. same on every restart. has done this with two new bulbs. only info i can find says it’s ok, that’s the lamp protection circuit working, but these are new lamps. anyway, fan runs fine. could i have two bad new bulbs? can i test them somehow, or do a voltage test on the bulb connectors inside the unit? thanks in advance

Hi Mark,
      First thing to check is the lamp timer that is has been reset to zero. The check the connections with the lamp and projector. If they are too loose or too tight this can cause the warning lights to turn on. The other problem may be with the ballast or colour wheel that can also cause these lights to go on. I would suggest also joining our forum at http://www.fixyourdlp.com/forum/ where there are more experts who can help you figure out what the problem may be.

13. avatar Matt Marvin says:

Hello,

I have a Dell 4220 DLP projector and just got a new bulb and put it in and reset the timer and every time I turn it on it works for a minute then the colors start flashing and the projector shuts down then the Amber light bulb warning light comes on. Not sure if the projector bulb i purchased is defective or not. I have cleaned the inside for dust also.

Hi Matt,
      Where did you purchase the lamp? If the price was a real bargain, then the lamp is a counterfeit and the project is reacting to it because it’s not calibrated properly with the lamp. Counterfeits can’t be calibrated because they are lacking the proper technology. If you bought from a recognized dealer, then you may have a defective lamp. Contact them for a replacement.
      Hope this helps.

14. avatar Cameron Clayton says:

Hello! I replaced the lamp on my projector, went to turn it on and it started making a fast and pitched ding/clicking sound. The power button blinks and the button that says lamp auto lights up red (btw this is a viewsonic) and the fan runs. It did this when I first installed the lamp, then all of a sudden it worked for a few days, but now it is doing the same thing. Any ideas?

Hi Cameron,
      Did you reset the lamp timer? Also check the connections on the lamp, if they are loose then that can affect the working of the lamp.

15. avatar Juan Antonio Gonzalez says:

Hello. I´ve just replace the lamp of my proyector Sony bravia Sxrd VPL hw10. The new is an original, but it doesn´t have a new air filter.

Trying to clean the old filter, I´ve broke it completely….sight..

What can I do? I don´t find any place to buy a new one and neither find how to build one. Help me please!!

Hi Juan,
      Contact Discount Merchants at http://www.discount-merchant.com at 1-800-281-8860 and they can help you find a replacement filter. They are not hard to find for this model. Don’t feel bad. Broken filters are easy to replace and it happens a lot that people break them. Good luck.

Hi Juan,
      Contact your local Sony dealership to find a local retail outlet that sells your filter. If you bought this from a retail store contact them and ask if they carry replacement parts. You can also try contacting discount-merchant.com and see if they can order you a new filter. It’s really important to have this air filter as it will keep your projector from overheating. If it gets too hot your projector lamp can explode. Good luck. Let me know how everything turns out.

16. avatar Hassan Mahmud says:

Hi. My projector sounds well but suddenly the image quality dropped. It be haves like a very low contrust ratio projection. When i open an image by laptop it clear for a very fractional second but turns to darker. Seems like any sofware adjustment going wrong rather than the lamp or lcd panel.help please.

Hi Hassan,
      It sounds like there is a problem with the laptop screen and the projector image. It may be a problem between the display resolution of the computer and projector. Try adjusting the display resolution to match the data projector. Another thing to check is that the display mode is set to only an external video port. The final thing to check is that the projector lamp has not reached end of life because that will also make the image go dim even after there is that initial display of light. I hope these suggestions help. You can also consider joining our forum for more expert help. http://www.fixyourdlp.com/forum/

17. avatar Austin Kress says:

I have a JVC hd-56fn97 and I received this TV for free and they had found it. It didn’t have a lamp in it. So I replaced it and when I did the TV would turn long enough for the lamp to warm up AMD the TV to play for a sec and then the lamp/program light would flash. Any ideas? I read it could be a circuitry issue. Could just blowing the dust off help it? Maybe fix it?

Hi Austin,
      This may very well be a colour wheel or ballast problem. You could try cleaning the air filters because if they are clogged they will cause the TV to overheat and turn off. It may be a circuitry issue but that would need a technician to determine exactly where the problem may be. I’m not enough of an expert to figure this out so I suggest joining our forum where there is a community of TV experts who can help. http://www.fixyourdlp.com/forum/

18. avatar Yannick M says:

Good afternoon,
    I have a Benq MS524 form less than one year. Yesterday trying to make a protection the machine shutdown with error code led “fan 1 error”.
    I didn’t use much so I really don’t think the lamp life is over.
    I try to run the machine with the Lamp cover open and same problem. Fan is run well and even speed increase about 20 sec before shutdown.
    When start form cold period the machine run for about 2 mn only.
    Any help will be appreciated. I’m in Mozambique and not technician have knowledge for this kin of projector.
    Thank you.

HI Yannick,
      It sounds like your air filter is blocked. That fan 1 error messages comes on when the fan is going too fast. It means that there isn’t enough cool air circulating in the projector so to compensate the fan is running faster. Trying cleaning the air filter so that there is nothing blocking it. The projector will shut down automatically is the lamp cover is open as well. Keep it closed. Here’s a link to your manual where you can check to see how to clean the air filter : http://www.benq.ca/product/projector/MS524/downloads/
      Hope this helps. Good luck!

• avatar Yannick M says:

Good afternoon,
        When I run with the cover open I “close” the switch to be able to run the projector. About fan filter there is not on this projector, take from manual “Filter free design to lower maintenance and operating costs”.
        Any other idea ?
        Thanks

Hi Yannick,
          Not all projectors require that you change the air filter. Have you changed the projector lamp. Is there a problem?

• avatar Yannick M says:

Hi Shelagh,
            I can’t change the air filter because I don’t have air filter on this projector. About the lamp I didn’t change it since I use lite time.
            Yannick

Hi Yannick,
            Almost all projectors have a filter system since it’s a crucial part of keeping the projector cooled off. What is your make and model and I can discuss it with their repair bill.

19. avatar Al Carrillo says:

I just replace a new lamp on a vivitek projector, but cannot turn on, the power button keep flashing, what can I do?

Hi Al,
      Have you reset the lamp timer to zero on your projector after replacing the lamp? You need to do that as a final step otherwise the projector thinks the old finished lamp is still installed. You can usually reset the lamp timer using either your remote or the menu option on the projector. What model do you have?

• avatar gary says:

if the projector wont turn on how do i reset the timer to zero?

Hi Gary,
          Have you changed the projector lamp? If so check to see that it has been properly installed. Sometimes if the screws or connectors are not tight enough the projector can’t register the new replacement lamp. You will need your original remote control to reset the timer to zero. What model do you have?

20. avatar Robert K says:

I have Acer 6510bd just replace bulb and after 100hr i notice its goin dimmer also when i turn on eco mode cant see any difference (defo see diference before) looks like lamp workin on eco mode all time even i turn on full Power …. Question is … Bulb or projector problem ??

Hi Robert,
      It sounds like you got a counterfeit lamp installed that hasnt been properly calibrated and is burning too low to give off the light that is needed. Did the lamp come with OEM stamps and a serial number you can check?

21. avatar Ricky says:

I’ve just replaced the lamp in my 60 inch Mitsubishi TV and 4 hours later it blew out again,what will make it do that?

Hi Ricky,
      Where did you buy the lamp? There are cheaper priced counterfeits being sold that will pop as soon as you put them into to TV because they haven’t been calibrated properly. Have you also checked the air vents / air filters to make sure they are not blocked. If the air flow can’t get around the TV and lamp, it can cause overheating and explosions. Try to get a refund for that lamp.

22. avatar Tim says:

We have a Viewsource Pro8500 projector. The picture would cut out randomly and we got a new bulb for it. We installed the bulb but it’s not lighting up. The power light stays solid for about 18 seconds. There seems to be a lack of fan movement, as well. Any ideas? Thanks.

Hi Tim,
      Did you reset the lamp timer after installing the new lamp? If the timer is not reset to zero then the projector thinks the new lamp is still the old lamp that has reached end of life. Hope this helps.

23. avatar Kenny Stancil says:

I have a promethean model PRM-20A(S) and the bulb went out. I have replaced it but I can not reset the timer do to the screen being black. What do I do?

Hi Kenny,
      If the screen is still black the replacement was not successful. Have you tried checking the connections to make sure that everything is working? What type of lamp did you buy? Sometimes the counterfeit generic lamps won’t work and keep the screen black. After checking all the connections do the following:
      Be sure to reset the Lamp replacement counter after the lamp is replaced. When the Lamp replacement counter
      is reset, the LAMP REPLACE indicator stops lighting.
      1 Turn the projector on and press the MENU button to display the On-Screen Menu. Use the Point buttons to move the red frame pointer to the Setting Menu icon.
      2 Use the Point buttons to move the red frame ▲▼ pointer to Lamp counter and then press the SELECT button. The first dialog box appears showing the total
      accumulated lamp time and reset option. If you select Reset, “Lamp replacement counter Reset?” appears. Select “Yes” to continue.
      3 Another confirmation dialog box appears, and select “Yes” to reset the Lamp replacement counter.
      That should reset the lamp time back to zero. Here is a link to your manual for further information:
      You can also join our forum where there are more experts. Good luck!

24. avatar shawn burton says:

Hello i just replaced a bulb cartrage case with a new bulb for my mitsubishi tv and everything worked great for two days and i was just watching tv and heard a pop and went to back and pulled out the replacement and the bulb must of popped because it is shattered and when touching the casing for bulb it was super hot….so does this mean my filters need cleaned before i attempt another replacement bulb is that causing this to pop my bulb?

25. avatar Brandon says:

I have a Panasonic Ae4000 project. I just replaced tge bulb with oem osram bulb. Timer/lamp hours has been reset. Picture is much more dim. Also doesnt seem to change when i go from eco to normal mode. I have installed and reinstalled to make sure the bulb is lined up and its still dimmer than the original bulb i replaced at 2200 hours.. Any suggestions?

Hi Brandon,
      You did everything correctly so it’s not you. It’s the lamp you bought. It sounds like it is a generic projector lamp rather than an OEM lamp. The generics are always a bit dimmer since they don’t have the same material and specifications as the OEM lamps direct from the manufcaturer.

26. avatar Deborah Holtzscheiter says:

Hello. I have NEC V260. I may have missed it but I never saw anything about needing to replace the bulb but one day the lamp just stopped working and the status was a blinking red light. I bought another lamp housing unit and replaced it. I can’t reset anything with the remote because the lamp is not coming on. I’ve made sure everything is securely in place. I’ve pushed the HELP button as the manual said to do but I still have no light. I appreciate any suggestions. Thank you, Deborah

• avatar Deborah Holtzscheiter says:

I took out the new lamp. Put it back in and it worked. It’s magic. And I did check the lamp hours and it was at 99% so I had reset it.

Hi Deborah,
        Great! I had just answered you other posted suggesting you try re-installing the lamp again. Sometimes on this model if the lamp connectors are off, the project won’t allow a reset. Glad we could help out!

Hi Deborah,
      Check all your connection. Sometimes if the lamp is not securely connected the projector won’t reset on the NEV models.

27. avatar Brandon says:

Hi Shelagh,
    I have a Sharp XR-30x that has only about 500 hours on the lamp but I’ve had the same lamp about 7 years. All of a sudden after running the projector for about two minutes, the color becomes blue-ish, then dims, and the unit immediately shuts down and shows the temp light flashing. I’ve blown compressed air through the vents (no filter on this). All 3 fans are spinning when it runs, but could this be caused by an old lamp?
    Thank you for the help.

Hi Brandon,
      For sure those are all the symptoms of a lamp that is reaching end of life. Usually the color goes off and gets dim. You may not have reached the full hours but the parts may be reaching end of life due to old age. If the fans are running then it’s not from overheating. I would definitely look into installing a new lamp. Check out discount-merchant.com for authentic OEM lamps with good prices. Wherever you buy from, make sure they are producing authentic lamps and not counterfeits as this can damage your projector.

28. avatar Omar Abidi says:

Hi,

I just installed a new Bulb. OEM. The Image randomly goes Black and White and flickers occasionally flashing images from earlier in a program. The tone of the Projector changes pitch and sounds jittery.

As soon as I hit the Power button once (2 presses to turn off) the Image re-syncs. Happens randomly some times a few times a minute, sometimes not for 10 – 20 mins.

I’m puzzled. Any ideas?… I was thinking it’s a power issue?…

Thanks for your time.

Hi Omar,
      This sounds like a color wheel problem with the images going black and white. It could also be your power source but usually these ghost images and color issues are the ballast and color wheel. What brand and model of projector do you have? You could consider joining our forum as well where there are more experts who can help you. http://www.fixyourdlp.com/forum

29. avatar Laura says:

Hi ! I bought recently a view sonic projector and is working well but is projecting a little light to the right in the wall too. This is normal or its something wrong with the projector? Thanks for your help.

Hi Laura,
      What model do you have? That light can mean the projector lamp needs to be replaced or that the air filter is blocked and the machine is overheating. Without the specific model nu,ber it’s difficult to tell. Send me the model and I will find out more information for you.

30. avatar Greg Bright says:

A friend has an Epson projector which was working. The bulb life light came on and he replaced the bulb. The fan comes on but lamp will now not light up at all. We tried to reset the bulb life counter but without the bulb working we can’t see the reset screen. We’ve checked the lamp installation and the interlock in the lamp cover and all looks good – but still no light! Any ideas?

Hi Greg,
      Without knowing the model number it’s hard to say. But if you have installed a bargain-priced lamp it might be a counterfeit lamp. These lamps can’t be properly calibrated so the projector won’t turn on after it’s installed. Most of the time, the problem is a counterfeit lamp. Check the labelling on the lamp and the source. The reset screen not turning on is a key indicator. What is the model number? I can do some more research for you if you give me the model.
      Sorry I can’t help more but check the lamp.

• avatar Terry Bill says:

The projector is a Epson 835.
        There are two warning lights for the lamp. Orange to change the bulb, red for problems, we have a red light flashing, and no light.

Terry

Hi Terry,
          That flashing red light can mean a couple of things:
          Red Power light and lamp light both flashing red: The lamp needs to be replaced or has not been installed properly
          Red Power light flashing and temperature light solid red: The projector has overheated and turned itself off. Check the air filers for blockages
          Red Power light flashing and temperature light flashing: There is a problem with the fan or a sensor. Turn the projector off and unplug it. Let it cool down and restart.
          All lights flashing red: There is an internal error. You need to call a technician.
          Check out this chart to help: https://files.support.epson.com/Epson_Handbook/assets/content/proddetails/download/pdf/410wlampStatus.pdf
          Hope this help. Be sure you have installed a genuine lamp because counterfeit lamps can cause problems with the optics in the projector.
          Good luck.

31. avatar KP says:

Infocus, IN32 will not turn after lamp change, any suggestions?

Hi KP,
      Check that all the screws on the lamp are tightened and the lamp cover has been properly installed. Have you reset the lamp timer to zero? Otherwise the projector will think the lamp is still burnt out.

32. avatar Terry Bill says:

I am Gregs friend.
    The model is an Epson 835. It is 10 years old.
    The lamp was working and one day it just stopped working.
    This model has a “lamp waring light” when orange the lamp is nearing it’s lifee end. When red it says check if the bulb is broken or see an engineer.
    This started flashing RED. I checked the bulb and it looks OK, but bought a new one just in case. However this is still flashing RED and not working.

Hi Terry,
      I think this could be a number of problems.
      If you changed the projector lamp did you also reset the lamp timer? It needs to be reset or the warning lights will continue to flash.

33. avatar kholi says:

Hi
    I have an LG DLP BS275 projector which does not respond, when i press the menu button, how can l unlock it.It does switch on and displays signal not found on S Video.

Hi Kholi,
      Where you trying to change the projector lamp? Usually when the projector won’t turn on it’s because the lamp has reached end of life and needs replacement before it will turn on.

34. avatar Erickson Mendoza says:

My projector is making a loud noise as it powers up then I hear a trickling sound. I just replaced the bulb since the lamp LED turned on but nothing changed. It just made the noise and then shut off. I have an Optoma HD141X. Here’s a link to a video of the sound it makes if that helps.

Hi Eric,
      Have you tried cleaning the air filter to see if there is anything blocking it?
      That sounds like your fan is not working. It could also be your colour ballast. It sounds like it needs a technician to check out what is happening. Definitely not normal. Find out if your projector is under warranty and contact the place where you bought it. Sorry I can’t do more.

35. avatar sunil menon says:

Our projector is brand new Hitachi cpx3042wn after installation(roof mounted)switch on and after 1minute it automatically shut off…what is the reason in behind..let me give clarity on it..

Hi Sunil,
      The projector lamp connections may have become loose while installing the projector onto the ceiling. Check their connections. The lamp may have also gotten damaged when the projector was turned upside down. Start off checking your lamp. If there is anything loose or damaged in the lamp your projector will not turn on. Hope this helps.

36. avatar Jeremy says:

Hi 🙂

I have a Benq W1070+ Projector which I have used for over 1,000 hours. It became very dim after a while (like very dim !). So I changed the lamp for what is supposed to be an OEM. However it is still as dim as before : no change.
    I tried factory reset, didn’t change anything. I have a very dark projector : so dark that even in a completely dark room it is still not bright enough. Strange for this projector that is supposed (and that’s also how I remember it) to be super bright. Any idea ? 🙂

Hi Jeremy,
      This is the lamp. It’s not an genuine lamp and the lamp burner is not firing up enough to give the heat and therefore the light needed. One way to check if the lamp is OEM is to compare the price on the manufacturer’s website. It should be around $100-#120. If the lamp you installed was a a much lower in price then it’s not a genuine OEM manufactured lamp. Sometimes counterfeit manufacturers play around and call it “OEM compatible.” Send the lamp back and ask for a refund. If you are looking for a good manufacturer discount.merchant.com sells this lamp at a good price and it is manufactured in North America. http://www.discount-merchant.com/benq-5j-j7l05-001-replacement-projector-lamp-with-housing-by-osram.html#.WP7UMcm1ugQ
      Hope this help!

37. avatar Adem says:

Hello

I have a W1070 projector also, but the problem am having is it is turning off in few mins after it is turned on. Like it has overheated or something. I have checked all the fans are working and High alltitude mode is on but still it couldn’t run for atleast 10mins.

Regards

Hi Adem,
      Have you replaced the projector lamp recently? If not, the projector is shutting because it recognizes that that the lamp is approaching end of life. If you recently replaced the projector lamp you may not not reset the lamp timer. If you don’t reset it back to zero even with a new lamp, the projector will continue to shut down. Hope this helps.

38. avatar John LaPorta says:

I have an Epson 8350 projector. I just replaced the lamp with a new one. While I can get the power lights to come on the lamp will not come on so the screen is black. After a few minutes, the red lamp light flashes on. What am I doing wrong or what can I do from here to get the new lamp to work and project on the screen? I have read other comments like, reset the lamp hours. How do you accomplish this without being able to view the menu options on the screen?

Hi John,
      The first thing to check is that all the plugs and screws are installed properly. A black screen usually means that the projector is not accepting the lamp connections. Where did you buy this lamp? It may possibly be a counterfeit that has not been properly calibrated and the projector is not turning on to protect itself. We have an online manual that shows how to reset the lamp timer: http://www.fixyourdlp.com/2012/11/28/replace-epson-hc-8350-lamp/
      You can use the onscreen menu but you should also be able to access the using the remote control.
      Here are the instructions from the user manual:
      Maintenance
      Resetting the Lamp Usage Timer
      After replacing the lamp, plug the projector back in, turn on the power switch on the back,
      and press the
      P
      power button. Then follow these steps to reset the lamp usage timer:
      1. Press the Menu button on the projector or remote control.
      2. Use the menu navigation buttons to open the Reset menu, then select Reset Lamp Hours.
      3. When you see a confirmation prompt, highlight Yes and press the Enter button.
      4. When you’re finished, press the Menu button to exit.
      The lamp usage timer shows 0H until you’ve used the lamp for at least 10 hours.
      Hope this helps.

39. avatar Meng says:

hello , i have a panasonic ae4000 projector. The lamp has reached almost the end of its life so i bought a new panasonic bulb with oem housing. After replacing the lamp i have no power, not even standby light. If i change it back to the old lamp standby power light and reminder to replace lamp is on again. I have tested many times and each time getting the same problem. No power. Any advice from u would be much appreciated. Thanx

Hi Meng,
      The lamp is defective and not an OEM manufactured lamp. What is happening is that the housing is not the correct size and shape so it’s not connecting to the projector properly. Since the projector is senses the housing doesn’t fit properly it won’t turn on to protect itself. You need to return the lamp for a refund. If this was a lamp bought from an certified OEM manufacturer then it’s defective. In any case, you need to get a replacement lamp and not use that one.

40. avatar Dionisio says:

Hi Shelagh:
    I have a Mitsubishi TV 65″(Projector) I had the white dots problem, so I bought the part to fix it. I had to move ouyside the US, and there is no Mitsubishi representative i the country, so I had the best TV technician change the part. Once it was done, the TV did not turn on, I was told that it was blocked because I did not use a Certified technician approved by Mitsubishi, but they do not have any in the country. What can I do? It seems that it needs a code to start. Is that possible.
    Thanks for your help.

Hi Dionisio,
      I have not head of this being blocked. We have tutorials on our website for DYI changing and have never heard about technicians being approved by Mitusbishi and non-technicians being locked out of the TV. You could try this website called :http://techlore.com/article/are-you-locked-out and Mitsubishi info is:
      Mitsubishi sets use a four-digit code for a V-Chip locked program, view a locked TV, cancel the lock, or to enter the V-Chip lock menus. You can view the locked shows on the TV set by pressing the number 9 and QV buttons on the remote at the same time, whenever your code is requested. This process temporarily unlocks the TV and asks you to enter a new code.
      Try this and see if gets the TV to work. I would suggest joining our forum where our community of experts can help you further.

41. avatar Derrick says:

Hey,

I’ve two Ben Q projectors side by side running for a few hours on a Sunday. They both start up fine but after a hour or two 1 of the projectors brightness changes. It goes considerable darker or dim. They both had their bulbs changed at the same time a while ago. they have the exact same setting and board rate, lamp hours and everything. just one of them just turn dim.

Hi Derrick,
      First check if the eco mode is on with the projector since that will lower the brightness. The dimming is usually connected to the lamp and it could be that one lamp is better than the other. It can also be the lamp is misaligned inside the projector. You could trying to re-install and see if that solves the problem. Finally, the color wheel may be wearing out and that sometimes causes dimming.

42. avatar Tom Valley says:

Hello,

Our church has a Viewsonic Pro8500 DLP. I wasn’t there but I was told that the lamp went out and was changed (not by me) and when it was powered up all that happened was the indicator lamp glowed steady blue for about 15 secs. and then went to a flashing blue. After searching your posts it seems that the lamp timer needs to be reset. My problem is the remote has been misplaced so is it possible to reset it by some means of holding down buttons or should I just order a new one?

Thanks for your help.

Tom

Hi Tom,
      You can do this using the MENU button on the projector to open the On Screen Display (OSD) menu. if there are Down and Up arrow key on the Projector then you use those to scroll down to the INFORMATION menu and select reset LAMP Hours. If your model doesn’t have those arrow on the Menu area then you will have to buy a replacement original projector in order to get the projector to work. Contact http://www.discounttvlamps.com for help in finding this projector remote.
      Good luck. Hope this helps.

43. avatar Tom Valley says:

Thanks Shelagh I will give it a try.

Tom

44. avatar Jin says:

Hi there,

I have an Optoma HD803.
    Recently changed the lamp because there was a red light on the LAMP button and there was no light at all.

No the projector turns on, shows the startup image for a brief moment, then goes straight into ‘cool down’ mode with blue lights flashing…and then shuts down after 30-60 seconds.

What is wrong with the machine?
    After changing it, there was one time things DID work well, and I got picture, but now, nothing. Thanks

Hi Jin,
      Have you cleaned your air filter? This sounds like it’s blocked so the air can’t circulate properly causing the projector to overheat and shut down. Try cleaning the air filter and see if that helps. The other problem might be the lamp itself. Is it a certified Philips lamp? Sometimes knockoff/counterfeit lamps don’t have the properly elements and the projector will respond to the fake lamp by shutting down. If you did buy a defective lamp contact the seller and ask for its certification and if that is not forthcoming ask for a refund. Hope this helps.

45. avatar Janis says:

Hi we have a Sony Bravia Projector VPL-AW15. We have just brought it out of storage and it went well for two weeks. Then it appeared to have a line problem and a dull bulb. We replaced it with the spare bulb they gave us when we bought it. it went for one movie and now it has blue and grey lines and a dull screen again. We cannot get the men to show up to see if we can adjust anything. We don’t really want to buy a new bulb now as it may just happen again. Any ideas??
    Thanks Janis

Hi Janis,
      With this particular model, it sounds like there is a misalignment happening of the LCD panels that creates this screen door effect — what you are describing. Try adjusting the screen distance and seating for a minimum seating distance of 1.8x the screen width. For example, you should be sitting at least 13 feet from the screen if the image size is 100″ diagonal. Your room should also be dark since that will affect viewing. For the main menu, you will need to original remote control to activate it. You can find more information in the manual: https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=VPLAW15&template_id=1&region_id=1&tab=manuals#/manualsTab. You can also join our forum where there is a community of experts who may be able to better solve this problem.

46. avatar Anaj says:

Hi Shelagh..
    I have BenQ projector LW61ST. I have a problem with the mainboard. when i was turn on the projector, it showed ‘burn-in powering up’ mode. there was a green light on the power led indicator but the projector still not working. what should i do?

Hi Anaj,
      This sounds like a colour wheel issue. Have you changed the lamp recently? If you installed a counterfeit lamp they can damage the colour wheel and other optics causing that type of message. But I’m not an expert. I’ll ask one of my experts in the forum what they think and I suggest you try joining our forum for more help. Sorry I couldn’t do more. Join at http://www.fixyourdlp.com/forum/

47. avatar Austin says:

Hi, I’ve got an lci-98 with less than 6 hours of run time on it and the picture suddenly stopped displaying and showing a white box with lines through it, when playing a movie the colors of the movie kinda show but you can’t actually make out the pictures, I’ll snag a picture if needed so you can see.

Hi Austin,
      It sounds like the lamp has given out. White lines is an indication that the lamp is not firing properly so can’t get to the right temperature to handle the color changes. Where did you buy the lamp? Check to see if it’s an OEM lamp and send it back for a refund if it isn’t.

48. avatar alman sunkersett says:

Hi,
    My name is Alman ,
    I have a Mitsubushi HC 4000 DLP projector ,
    in the middle of watching a reality show , my projector suddenly made a noice and shut off !!!
    these was a burning smell as well ..
    I unmounted the projector , and on the next day removed the lamp , which had exploded from the back !!!
    Now the power light and the status light won’t turn on !!!
    what should I do ?
    Please help !!!

Hi Alman,
      The projector is not going to turn back on until a new projector lamp has been installed. If you have installed a new lamp and the projector is not turning on then the color wheel or ballast has been damaged. You will need to get a technician to look at it.

49. avatar kiran says:

hello, i have a viewsonic pjd5134 projector. my problem is that the image starts turning black from top right corner when the projector heat up, and the darkness spreads like little dots and cover over 3/4 of the screen. i replaced the lamp, and still having the same problem. what should be done to resolve this problem?

HI Kiran,
      I think this is your either DLP chip or DMD (Digital Micro mirror Device) going faulty. Several of the mirrors on the chip are probably out of alignment and not moving anymore. Check to see if this is covered under warranty. Otherwise it will be too expensive to repair. It might be time or another projector. How old is this one?

50. avatar Karl says:

Hello, my projector for the past month or so has been showing different colors, like orange for red. I tried to replace the color wheel in the projector but once i turned it on it changed the green color to purple. What would be the right move to solve this problem?
    I would appreciate the advise!

51. avatar Maj says:

Hi i have a panasonic Pt-at5000 i changed the lamp on it a few weeks ago but recently the picture was gettin very dim …so i thought id change it back to the original lamp when i come to open the lamp screws one opned up the other screw was solid would not open and started to round off…so i decided to open the projector up to open this screw only way was to cut a new groove into the screw for this i had to remove the main board once i got the screw open i put in the original lamp and gave it a little vacum on the inside as ther was alot of dust i put it all back together but now the projector wont start as i switch the power on the red light comes on for a second or so fans kick in and then the projector goes off ….i have to switch off from the mains for about 2 mins to get it to fire but same thing power light and fans start but then within a second go off again …ive checked all connections screws etc just cant make any sense it was working perfectly fine prior to the idea of a lamp change and a little clean up ..anybody have any idea what this could be ????

Hi Maj,
      You may have disturbed a connection by cutting that screw. If the projector senses a loose connection then it will give the same warnings and shit down. You need to install a new light as the beginning problems you had was that the lamp life was reaching end of life. Hope this helpd.