3 Steps to a new Epson EMP-TW980 projector lamp
Follow this handy 3-step manual for a quick and easy installation of a new EMP-TW980 projector lamp.
Step 1: Know when to replace
You can expect up to 1600 hours of =life before the Epson ELPLP39 lamp must be replaced. Lamp life for the Epson EMP-TW980 varies according to how much the projector is being used and if regular maintenance is being done.
Watch for the warning signs that it’s time to replace the Epson ELPLP39 lamp
- the lamp warning on the projector started to blink red and continues blinking
- the picture gets darker and continues to deteriorate
- the message “Replace the lamp” appears on screen when the projector is turned on.
Step 2: Get the right lamp ready
Avoid the temptation to buy the cheaper priced generic lamps being sold by a number of companies, including some of the large Internet retailers. These “compatible” have not been built with the correct components and will damage the inside of your Epson EMP-TW980 projector.
Generic lamps present health risk. Since copycat manufacturers can’t get the proper materials they often using highly toxic substitutes. They are also prone to explosions and actually have a shorter life.
Step 3: Installing the Epson ELPLP39
Before installation follow these steps:
- press the power button and wait for the light to stop flashing.
- turn off the power switch at the back on the projector
- unplug any power cords to cables to prevent the projector from accidentally being turned on.
- give the projector one full hour to cool. The Epson EMP-TW980 operates on high heat and you will burn yourself the projector has not cooled down.
Gently press on the EMP-TW980 lamp cover. Slide is away from the projector and then lift up to remove.
Using the screw driver provided, locate the two screws holding the Epson ELPLP39 lamp in place. Loosen both screws (they will not come out of the lamp altogether).
NOTE: The Epson ELPLP39 contains mercury and SHOULD NOT be thrown into regular garbage! Please recycle! Your authorized manufacturer will recycle the lamp for you at no extra cost. (Another reason to go with authentic lamps!)
Remove the packaging from the new Epson ELPLP39 lamp being sure not to touch the glass bulb. Your fingerprints can leave oil marks on the glass causing black spots to appear on screen when the projector heats up.
Line up the Epson ELPLP39 lamp and gently lower it into the EMP-TW980 projector.
Line up the EMP-TW980 cover hinges with the projector and place the lamp cover into them. Slide the lamp cover back down and click it into place. You’re noew ready to reset the lamp operating timer.
Resetting the Lamp Operating Timer
The Lamp Operating Timer determines when the Epson ELPLP39 lamp is reaching its 1600 hours end of life. Only reset this option when you have installed a new lamp otherwise you run the risk of using an older lamp past its recommended usage. This can cause the old lamp to explode and damage the Epson EMP-TW980 projector.
To reset the Lamp Operating Timer:
- Plug the power cord back into the projector
- Press the on button and wait for the projector to warm up.
- Press the MENU button to display the CONFIGURATION MENU.
- Scroll down to select RESET menu.
- Scroll down and choose RESET LAMP HOURS option
- Press ENTER.
- The reset lamp hour message will show up.
- Select YES
- Press ENTER.
- Lamp hours will be set to zero.
Extending the Epson ELPLP39 lamp life
Get more hours from your Epson ELPLP39 lamp by following these maintenance tips:
- To avoid overhearing the projector and causing the lamp to explode, keep the air filters clean.
- Let the Epson EMP-TW980 rest for at least one hour per day.
- Using it only our to five hours per day will give the lamp a longer life.
- Make sure there is enough airflow around the projector particularly if it’s been permanently mounted. Overheating can cause lamp failure.