Your D.I.Y. guide to a new Epson EMP-820 projector lamp
It’s just three quick and easy steps to replace Epson EMP-820 projector lamp.
Step 1: Watch for warning signs
The Epson ELPLP15 has an expected life of 1400 hours but this may vary depending how much the Epson EMP-820 is used. Keep an extra Epson ELPLP15 on hand to be ready the lamp should any of the warning signs appear.
Watch for the warning signs:
- The lamp indicator on the projector flashes orange or lights up red.
- The message “Lamp Replace” appears on the screen for 30 seconds when the projection starts.
- The user’s logo is replaced by the lamp replacement message appears instead.
- The colour starts to deteriorate or the image gets dark and dim.
Step 2: Be ready with the correct lamp
Your Epson EMP-820 is equipped with highly sensitive optics. You’ll want to keep them working at their optimum levels and not incur expensive repair bills. Buying genuine Epson ELPLP15 lamps that have been manufactured to meet the needs of the Epson EMP-820 will guarantee a long life for the projector.
Why avoid generic lamps?
Buyer Beware of generic lamps:
- generic lamps are prone to explosions because of their inferior workmanship
- generic lamps won’t last the full 1400 hours
- they are a health hazard because they have been created with toxic materials
- generic lamps are not calibrated properly and will damage the optics
- copycat manufacturers offer no guarantee or refunds
- the warranty on your Epson EMP-820 projector will become void.
Learn how to spot the copycat fake lamps with 7 Ways to Spot a Counterfeit Lamp.
Step 3: Installing a new Epson ELPLP15 lamp
- Turn off the projector power and give a two-minute cool-down period before disconnecting the power cord.
- Give the Epson EMP-820 projector enough time to cool down — wait at least 30 minutes to one hour. These projector operates under high heat. Be sure it’s cool the the touch before opening it up.
- Do not operate the projectors while the lamp is removed as this may result in malfunctions, fire hazard and other accidents.
Place the screwdriver provided into the slot on the lamp cover. Lift it up and slide off the lamps cover on the Epson EMP-820 lamp cover until the hinges release. Place the cover to one side. Loosen the two screw holding the Epson ELPLP15 lamp in place.
Grab lamp by it side and pull straight up from the projector. Take care not knock the actual bulb as it may break. Learn what to do should the bulb shatter.
Hold the lamp so it faces the correct way and insert the Epson ELPLP15 lamp until it clicks into place. Don’t touch the actual glass bulb as your fingerprints will leave marks that will gradually cause a black dot on the screen when the projector heats ups. Tighten the screws.
Insert the cover tabs into the Epson EMP-820 projector, making sure they line up properly with the tabs. Press the other side of the cover down until it clicks into place.
Be sure the lamp cover is on properly or the projector will not turn on.
You are now ready to reset the lamp timer.
Resetting the Epson EMP-820 lamp timer
After installing a new Epson ELPLP15 lamp, the lamp timer will need to be reset in order for the Epson EMP-820 to properly track the lamp life. You run the risk of damaging your projector should the lamp be used beyond the recommended 1900 hours, so only reset the lamp hours when a new lamp has been installed.
- Press the MENU button on either projector’s control panel or on the remote control.
- The MAIN MENU will be shown.
- Using the arrow keys scroll to Reset Lamp Timer from the ABOUT menu.
- Press the ENTER key.
A second prompt screen will be displayed.
Select YES to EXECUTE.
Press the ENTER button.
The lamp hours will be rest to zero.
Extend the life of the Epson ELPLP15 lamp
Extend the life of the newly installed Epson ELPLP15 with the following tips:
- Set the Brightness Mode to low or Econo Mode to extend lamp life.
- Make sure there is enough airflow around the projector particularly if it’s been permanently mounted.
- Keep your air filters clean to avoid overheating the projector.
- Turn off the Epson EMP-820 and let it stand for at least one hour ever 24 hours. An average use of four to five hours per day will ensure longer lamp life.
- Learn more with Top tips for extending DLP projector lamp life.