D.I.Y. guide for replacing the Epson PowerLite 820P projector lamp
Follow this quick-step guide to an easy installation of an Epson PowerLite 820P projector lamp.
Know when to replace
There are approximately 1500 hours in the typical Epson PowerLite 820P projector lamp before it reaches end of life. There will be some very obvious warning signs when the lamp needs to replaced in the Epson Powerlite 820P projector. Watch for the telltale warnings signs.
- Image begins to dim or actually deteriorate. Colours appear distorted.
- “Replace the Lamp” warning message appears on screen
- Lamp light lights red or starts flashing red
Check the amount of lamp life left from the About menu found on the Main Menu.
Authentic vs. generic
Look for the seal of approval when you are buying your lamp and avoid generic lamps. While generic have a lower pricetag, there are plenty of downsides to these lamps:
- prone to explosions because of their inferior workmanship
- don’t last the full 1400 hours
- health hazard due to the toxic materials used
- not calibrated properly and will damage the optics
- copycat manufacturers offer no guarantee or refunds
- the warranty on your Epson Powerlite 820P projector will become void.
Protect your health, the health of your Epson Powerlite 820P projector and buy authentic. Don’t be fooled by the generic manufacturers: Learn the 7 Ways to Spot a Counterfeit Lamp.
Installing the Epson ELPLP15 lamp
Before oinstalling the new Epson ELPLP15 lamp, do these following steps:
- Turn off the projector and wait until the power lights stops flashing.
- Unplug the power cord so the projector can’t be accidentally turned of while the lamp is being replaced.
- Wait for at least one hour for the Epson PowerLite 820P to cool down. It should be cool to the touch. This is crucial. These projectors operate under high heat and you can get burned very badly if the projector is still hot.
Once the lid is removed, use the same screwdriver to loosen the screws holding the Epson ELPLP15 in place. NOTE: The screws will not come all the way out.
Put the old lamp aside for proper recycling. These lamps can’t be thrown into the garbage as they contain mercury. Contact your OEM manufacturer for recycling instructions.
Hold the lamp so it faces the correct way and insert the Epson ELPLP15 lamp until it clicks into place. Tighten the screws. Line up the hinges on the cover and snap back into place.
You are now ready to reset the lamp timer.
Resetting the Epson PowerLite 811P lamp timer
After replacing the Epson ELPLP15 lamp you’ll need to reset the lamp timer in order for the Epson PowerLite 820P to properly track the lamp life. Only reset the Epson PowerLite 820P lamp timer when a new Epson ELPLP15 lamp has been installed or you run the risk of the lamp being used beyond its recommended lamp life and damaging your projector.
To reset the lamp:
- Press the MENU button on either projector’s control panel or on the remote control to display the MAIN MENU.
- Scroll down to the ABOUT menu. Press the ENTER.
- Scroll down to the Reset Lamp Timer option.
- The reset dialogue box will appear asking you to Execute? Press Yes.
- The lamp hours will be reset to zero.
- No lamp hours will appear until you have used the Epson ELPLP15 for at least 10 hours.
Tips for longer lamp life:
Extend the life of the newly installed Epson ELPLP15 with the following tips:
- Keep your air filters clean to avoid overheating the projector.
- Turn off the Epson PowerLite 820P projector and let it stand for at least one hour ever 24 hours. An average use of four to five hours per day will ensure longer lamp life.
- Make sure there is enough airflow around the projector particularly if it’s been permanently mounted.
- Learn more with Top tips for extending DLP projector lamp life.