Changing the Epson PowerLite 7800 projector lamp
Use this guide to replace the Epson PowerLite 7800 projector lamp
If the image on your projector has dimmed or starting to deteriorate it’s time to replace the Epson PowerLite 7800 projector lamp. Follow our guide to a new Epson PowerLite 7800 projector lamp.
Be sure to buy an authentic lamp from a recognized dealer.
You can expect between 2000 to 3000 hours of lamp life before you must install a replacement. Set the brightness to low to get the maximum hours and be sure to keep your filters cleaned.
The importance of buying authentic
There are many copy cat manufacturers selling knock-off Epson PowerLite 7800 projector lamps. Despite their bargain prices, these generic lamps end up costing you more because of their many problems:
- inferior workmanship means a inferior product
- unable to be calibrated properly they can seriously damage the optics in your Epson PowerLite 7800
- don’t last the full 2000 hours.
- present a serious health hazard due to their toxic materials.
- void the warranty on your Epson PowerLite 7800 projector
End of life warning signs
Warning signs that the Epson PowerLite 7800 projector lamp is reaching end of life include:
- image gets darker or starting to deteriorates.
- colours look off.
- LAMP REPLACE messages appears on screen.
- warning light flashing orange. When the lamp light is flashing RED, the Epson PowerLite 7800 projector lamp is burnt out and must be replaced immediately.
Replacing the Epson Epson PowerLite 7800 projector lamp
You’ll need to purchase at Epson ELPLP22 lamp. Follow these important steps before installing a new projector lamp:
- Turn off the projector power and wait for the power light to stop flashing before unplugging the power cord.
- Wait until the Epson PowerLite 7800 is cool to the touch (about 60 minutes). These projectors operate under extremely high temperatures so be patient and wait until the projector is cool or you run the risk of burning yourself.
NOTE: Do not operate the projectors while the lamp is removed as this may result in malfunctions, fire hazard and other accidents.
The Epson ELPLP22 lamp comes with a replacement air filter so you should change the filter at the same time. To change filters: turn the Epson PowerLite 7800 projector over and remove the air filters at the side and bottom of the projector. Replace the new filters — they should pop into place smoothly.
Insert the screwdriver supplied with the new Epson ELPLP22 lamp or use a flat-tipped screwdriver. Place the tip of the screwdriver into the space beside the air vent on the Epson PowerLite 7800 projector and gently slide the lamp cover to align the arrow on the cover with the arrow on the projector.
Loosen the two screws holding the Epson ELPLP22 lamp in place (they will not come all the way out). Lift up the wire handle on the Epson ELPLP22 lamp and use it to pull the lamp straight out of the projector.
Gently insert the new Epson ELPLP22 lamp. Avoid touching the actual bulb as the oil from your fingers will leave marks that will show up on screen. Also avoid knocking bulb as it may break. Learn what to do should the bulb shatter.
Tighten the screws and replace the lamp cover. NOTE: The projector will not turn on if the lamp cover is loose. You are now ready to reset the lamp timer.
Resetting the Epson PowerLite 7800 lamp timer
The lamp timer in the Epson PowerLite 7800 tracks the life of the Epson ELPLP22 lamp and triggers the lamp warning messages. Always reset the lamp timer whenever you replace the Epson ELPLP22 lamp timer.
- Plug the projector in and turn it on.
- Press the MENU button on the remote or on the projector’s control panel to display the Main menu,
- Use the pointer buttons on the remote or the arrow buttons on the Epson PowerLite 7800p to scroll down to the ABOUT menu. Press ENTER to display the ABOUT screen information.
- Scroll down to RESET LAMP TIMER option.
- Press ENTER to open the second prompt screen.
Select YES and press ENTER.
- The lamp hours will be reset to zero.
- NOTE: Lamp usage appears as 0H until you’ve used at least 10 hours of lamp life
- Press ESC or MENU to exit this screen.
How to extend the life of the Epson ELPLP22 lamp:
Extend the life of the newly installed Epson ELPLP22 with the following tips:
- Keep your air filters clean to avoid overheating the projector.
- Turn off the Epson PowerLite 7800 projector and let it stand for at least one hour ever 24 hours. An average use of four to five hours per day will ensure longer lamp life.
- Make sure there is enough airflow around the projector particularly if it’s been permanently mounted.
- Set the Brightness Mode to low to extend lamp life.
- Learn more with Top tips for extending DLP projector lamp life.