How to clean your DLP projector
Learn how to clean your DLP projector
After several months of use, your DLP projector is going to need some cleaning. Basic cleaning includes keeping the air filter free of dust and lint, keeping the projector lens clean and removing any marks or dirt from the body of the projector. Follow these guidelines to to clean your DLP projector.
Cleaning the air filter
It’s important to clean the air filter regularly to prevent your DLP 1080p projector from overheating and possibly causing it to shut down. Most manufacturers recommend cleaning the filters at least every six weeks or whenever they are dusty. This will depend on how often you use the projector and your environment.
- Use a can of compressed air to blow the dust away.
- Vacuum the filter with a vacuum cleaner designed for computers and other office equipment.
- Gently shake out the filter to release any dust.
- Check with your manufacturer. Some recommend replacing the filter altogether rather than trying to clean it.
- Wash the filter with soap or water as this can damage the filter membranes.
- Use a regular vacuum cleaner on the filter or inside the projector.
- Unplug the projector while the fan is running.
- Block the projector’s ventilation openings.
Need more information? Check out: Have you cleaned your 1080p projector filter today?
Cleaning the projector lens
A build-up of dust, lint, dirt and fingerprints on the projector lens can impact the image projected onto the screen. Keep your lens clear for optimal viewing.
- Clean immediately whenever you notice dust, fingerprints or dirt on the surface of the lens.
- Use a soft, lint-free cloth to wipe the lens.
- Use a canister of compressed air to remove dust from the outside of the lens.
- Use lens-cleaning paper to remove fingerprints or other marks.
- Wipe the lens in a single direction.
- Use abrasive cloths on the lens
- Use wet cloths or abrasive cleaners.
- Rub the lens with abrasive materials.
- Wipe back and forth across the lens – this can scratch the lens.
- Use a cloth that is very old.
- Use a cloth washed with fabric softener or dryer sheets as these chemicals can cloud the lens.
- Spray any type cleaner directly onto the lens surface.
Cleaning the projector body
Your projector is bound to pick up grime from everyday use, particularly if you are using it for presentations while on the road. Regularly cleaning will help keep your DLP 1080p projector looking like new.
- Wipe the entire surface of the projector using a clean, dry, soft cloth.
- Turn off the projector before cleaning the body.
- Unplug the power cord and the cables to any video sources.
- Use a neutral, mild detergent watered down with a soft, moist cloth to remove stubborn stains.
- Use any cleaning product with wax, alcohol, solvents, benzene or other chemicals.
- Use any abrasive cleaners since they can scratch the body.
- Use cloths containing chemicals or made with scratchy fabric.
Read more about maintaining your DLP 1080p projector:
- Care and maintenance of your 1080p projector
- Stop your projector lamp from exploding
- What to do if your projector lamp explodes
- Top 10 tips for projector maintenance