Replace the Optoma EP7477 projector lamp
Step 1: Let’s discuss generics
Your Optoma EP7477 needs an Optoma BL-FP230A (SP.83R01G001) lamp. There are lots of choices out there on the Internet but since selling online has few regulations, it’s easy to get duped into buying an inferior knock-off . Invest in an authentic Optoma EP7477 projector lamp.
Counterfeit manufacturers advertise their lamp as “compatible but there’s nothing farther from the truth.
Why avoid generics:
- generic lamps have a much shorter life so are actually more expensive in the long run
- Krypton-85 and other toxic chemicals are used to create counterfeit lamps
- compatible lamps are more prone to overheat and explode
- copycat manufacturers don’t know how to properly calibrate their lamps to work with the sensitive electronics in projectors
- copycat manufacturers offer no guarantee or refunds
- the warranty on your Optoma EP747a projector will become void.
Learn how to spot the copycat fake lamps with 7 Ways to Spot a Counterfeit Lamp.
Find this lamp on Amazon from these authorize dealers:
- Optoma BL-FP230A LCD Projector Brand New High Quality Original Projector Bulb
- Optoma BL-FP230A, P-VIP, 230W Projector Lamp (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Step 2: The warning signs
At 3o hours as the Optoma BL-FP230A lamp approaches end of life, a Lamp Replacement message will appear on screen. If you hear a loud popping sound, the lamp has burnt out and needs to be replaced immediately. The projector will not turn back on until the lamp has been replaced. Replace ASAP!
Step 3: Replacing the Optoma BL-FP230A lamp
Be sure to buy an authentic an Optoma BL-FP230A for the Optoma EP7477 projector.
NOTE: The Optoma BL-FP230A lamp contains mercury and should not be thrown into regular garbage. Recycle your used lamps! If you bought from an authentic manufacturer they will recycle the lamp for you at no extra cost. Generic manufacturers don’t recycle.
Follow these step-by-step instructions to replace the Optoma BL-FP230A lamp:
- Switch off the power to the Optoma EP7477 projector by pressing the Power/Standby button.
- Allow the projector to cool down for at least 30 minutes. If should be cool to the touch. These projectors run using high temperatures and you can burn yourself badly if you don’t allow the projector to cool down.
- Disconnect the power cord.
- Using a screwdriver, remove the screws holding the cover in place.
- Push the cover up to remove.
Slowly put out the old lamp by grabbing the edge of the lamp. Be careful not to bang the lamp against the projector as this may case the bulb to break. Learn what to do if the lamp has exploded inside the projector.
Place the new BL-FP230A into the Optoma EP7477 projector. Tighten the two screws on the lamp. Replace the lamp cover and tighten its two screws.
You must now reset the Lamp Replacement Timer.
Reset the lamp timing on the Optoma EP7477
- Press the Menu option on either the remote or on the projector.
- Scroll over the Lamp Setting. Press enter.
- Select Reset Lamp Hours. Press Enter
- The Execute/Cancel command line will appear.
- Scroll over to choose Execute. Press Enter.
- The lamp hours will be reset to zero.
Turn on the Eco Mode to lower power consumption and extend the lamp life by 130%.