Our guide shows how to install a new Epson PowerLite 470 projector lamp.
Be sure to invest in an authentic Epson PowerLite 470 projector lamp. Protect your safety and your projector.
Replacement Warning Signs
You can expect up to 3000 regular hours when your Epson PowerLite 470 projector is set to normal consumption and up to 4000 hours if the ECO power consumption is turned on. When it’s time Epson PowerLite 470 projector lamp to replace the lamp, you will see these warning signs:
- The projector lamp indicator flashes orange.
- A message telling you to replace the lamp appears on screen as soon as the projector is turned on.
- The images gets darker or starts to deteriorates.
Keep your projector working
The Epson PowerLite 470 needs the Epson ELPLP71 projector lamp. These OEM authentic projectors lamps have been manufactured to meet the specifications of the Epson PowerLite 470 projector. Avoid counterfeits since they damage the sensitive and expensive mechanisms and actually have a much shorter lamp life since they are prone to explosions.
Installing the new projector lamp
- Turn off the projector power and wait for the cool-down period which is about two minutes. Disconnect the power cord after the two minutes is over.
- Wait at least 30 minutes to one hour for the Epson PowerLite 470 projector to cool internally before opening it up. It should be cool to the touch. This projector operates using intense heat so don’t attempt to change the lamp while the projector is hot as you run the risk of a severe burn.
Loosen the screw holding the Epson PowerLite 470 projector lamp cover in place.
Slide the Epson PowerLite 470 lamp cover off and place it to one side.
Loosen the two screws holding the Epson 470 projector lamp in place.
Lift up the wire handle on the Epson ELPLP71 projector lamp and gently pull the projector lamp out of the Epson PowerLite 470 projector lamp. Don’t knock the actual bulb as it may break.
Slowly insert the Epson ELPLP71 projector lamp until it clicks into place. Be sure not to touch the actual bulb as the oil from your skin will case black spots to be burned onto the lamp causing blackouts on the screen.
Tighten the screws on the newly installed Epson ELPLP71 projector lamp.
Replace the lid on the Epson PowerLite 470 projector.
Tighten the screw on the projector lamp cover. Reset the lamp timer.
Resetting the lamp timer
The projector lamp timer will need to be reset after replacing the Epson ELPLP71 projector lamp. This timer helps the Epson PowerLite 470 projector to properly track the lamp life. Only reset the timer when a new Epson ELPLP71 projector lamp has been installed, otherwise the projector will NOT know when it’s time to replace the lamp. You run the risk of damaging your projector.
- Press the MENU button on the remote control. The Lamp Reset Menu will appear.
- Scroll down to the RESET. Press ENTER.
- A prompt appears asking if you want to reset the lamp hours.
- Select YES. Press ENTER.
- Press the MENU button or ESC to exit the menus.
The lamp hours will be reset to zero. The lamp usage timer shows 0H until you’ve used the lamp for at least 10 hours.
Extend projector lamp life
Extend the life of the newly installed Epson ELPLP71 with the following tips:
- Keep your air filters clean to avoid overheating the projector.
- Turn off the Epson PowerLite 470 projector and let it stand for at least one hour ever 24 hours. An average use of four to five hours per day will ensure longer lamp life.
- Make sure there is enough airflow around the projector particularly if it’s been permanently mounted.
- Learn more with Top tips for extending DLP projector lamp life.