Follow this step-by-step installation guide for installing a new Optoma W501 projector lamp
With so many choices, it can be confusing finding the the correct Optoma EP731 projector lamp. It’s easy to get duped into buying counterfeit projector lamp posing. Always look for the seal of approval and watch for telltale signs you are about to purchase a counterfeit lamp:
- low price that seems too good to be true.
- labelling that looks amateurish
- Mismatched elements, glue on the edges.
- Bulb that is scratched inside its cage
See below for more reasons to avoid counterfeit lamps.
Installing the projector lamp
You’ll know it’s time to replace the Optoma EP731 projector lamp when a message appears on screen warning you the lamp is reaching end of life. When this message appears replace the lamp immediately. You may also hear a loud pop when the lamp has reached end of life. The uses Optoma EP731 the Optoma BL-FP150B projector lamp.
Before replacing the projector lamp, follow these safety precautions
- Turn off the Optoma EP731 projector
- Unplug the power cord
- Allow the Optoma EP731 projector to cool down for at least 30 minutes. If should be cool to the touch to prevent to getting burned.
- Step 1: Placing the Optoma EP731 on a soft surface, turn it upside down.
- Step 2: Loosen the two screws holding the projector lamp cover in place. Remove the cover and put to one side.
- Step 3: Loosen the two screws holding the Optoma BL-FP150B projector lamp in place. Using the wire handle, gently lift the projector lamp out of the projector.
- NOTE: The Optoma BL-FP150B projector lamp contains mercury and should not be thrown into regular garbage. Recycle this lamp.
- Step 4: Insert the new Optoma BL-FP150B projector lamp into the projector and tighten the screws. Take care not to touch the actual bulb as the oil from your fingers will burn black marks onto the lamp.
- Step 5: Replace the Optoma BL-FP150B projector lamp cover and tighten the two screws holding it in place.
- Step 6: Align the top cover. Replace the two screws and tighten into place.
- Step 7: Turn on the projector. You are now ready to reset the lamp timer since the projector lamp has been replaced. NOTE: If the lamp timer is not reset the projector will keep shutting itself off thinking the projector lamps has reached end of life.
Reset the Optoma EP731 lamp timer
Your Optoma EP731 comes equipped with an automatic lamp timer that tracks the number of hours left on the projector lamp. Each time you change the lamp you need to reset the lamp timer.
- Press the Menu button to open the menu.
- Scroll down to the Management menu. Press ENTER.
- Scroll down to the Lamp Reset menu. Press ENTER.
- The will be set back to zero.
6 reasons to avoid generic lamps
- Generic lamps have a much shorter life
- Often these lamps use toxic chemicals as substitutes
- Generic lamps are more prone to overheat and explode
- Generic lamps are not properly calibrated to work with the sensitive electronics in projectors and installing can void the guarante
Learn the TOP Tips for extending the lamp life in your Optoma EP731 projector lamp.