Our guide shows you how easy it is to replace the Sony VPL-HW20 projector lamp!
Don’t settle for anything but the best. Buy an authentic for your Sony VPL-HW20 projector lamp. When buying look for the seal of approval — don’t get caught with a counterfeit lamp. They have shorter lamp and are more toxic due to the substitute materials used by counterfeit manufacturers. These lamps often don’t work properly with the sensitive electronics in your projector and are prone to explosions. Keep your projector working properly and invest in an authentic projector lamp.
Don’t settle for anything but the best for your Sony VPL-HW20 projector and install an authentic projector lamp. Don’t get caught with a counterfeit lamp. Keep your projector working properly and invest in an authentic projector lamp.
Buy this lamp on Amazon from the following verified manufacturers:
- SONY LMP-H201 Lamp manufactured by SONY
- Sony VPL-VW85 Projector Assembly with High Quality Original Bulb Inside
- LMP-H201 Sony HW15 Projector Lamp
When to replace?
When the this Sony VPL-HW20 projector lamp is reaching end of life, the Lamp light will flash red in 3 second intervals. The message “Please replace the Lamp/Filter” will also start flashing on screen. If the projector lamp dims change it immediately. Sony recommends replacing the air filter at the same as replacing the lamp.
Replacing the Sony VPL-HW20 Lamp and Air Filter
Before installations preparations:
- Unplug the AC power cord on the Sony VPL-HW20 projector.
- Your Sony VPL-HW20 projector uses the Sony LMP-H201 projector lamp. Before installing the lamp, let the projector cool for at least 40 minutes. It should be cool to the touch. Don’t rush the cooling as these projectors operate using extremely high temperatures and you run the risk of a serious burn.
- The projector lamp cover is on the bottom of the projector so you will need to turn it over. Put down a soft cloth on a flat surface to prevent the projector getting scratched. Turn the projector over gently. Don’t lean on the projector and make sure the surface is flat and stable.
- Using a Philips screwdriver, loosen the screw holding the projector lamp cover in place. Slide the projector lamp cover. Put it to one side.
Loosen the 3 screws on the Sony LMP-H201 lamp using a Phillips screwdriver. Grab the wire handle on the Sony LMP-H201 projector lamp and gently pull the lamp straight out. Take care not to bang the lamp as you can cause the bulb to break.
To finish the projector lamp installation:
- Remove the packaging from the new Sony LMP-H201 projector lamp.
- Lift up the handle and slowly lower the Sony LMP-H201 projector lamp into the projector.
- Push it in securely until it reaches the end.
- Tighten the three screws on the lamp.
- Also don’t touch the actual bulb in the new lamp as oily fingerprints can burn a black spot on the lamp when it heats up.
- Slide the lamp cover back onto the Sony VPL-GH10 projector.
- Close the projector lamp cover and tighten the screws.
Remember to install the lamp cover properly as the projector will not turn on if the cover is loose or not installed correctly.
Replacing the Sony VPL-GH10 air filter
- Remove the filter holder. The air filter will be inside the holder. Don’t touch the fan inside as this can damage the projector.
- Remove the old Sony VPL-GH10 filter and put it to one side. Attach the new air filter so that is fits into the 10 claws properly on the holder.
- Aligning the air filter with the shape of the filter holder will make it easier to install.
- Be sure to put the air filter holder back into the projector aligned up properly. If not, the projector will not turn back on!
- Wipe off any dust from the ventilation intake holes using a soft cloth. Put the projector back in its original position
Resetting the Sony VPL-GH10 projector lamp timer
- To reset the projector lamp timer, plug the AC power cord back into Sony VPL-GH10 projector.
- Using the remote, scroll down to the Setup Menu.
- Press Enter.
- A Lamp Setting message will appear asking you if the projector lamp has been replaced.
- Click on Yes.
- You will see a confirmation message and the Projector Lamp Timer will be automatically reset to zero.
- See the number of hours left on your lamp by going to the Information Menu
You can extend the life of the Sony LMP-H201 projector lamp by always making sure the filter is clean and there is enough airflow around the projector. Learn how to get a longer projector lamp life with top tips for extending DLP projector lamp life.
4 reasons to avoid counterfeit lamps:
- shorter lamp life
- toxic due to the substitute materials used by counterfeit manufacturers.
- won’t work properly with the sensitive electronics in your projector
- prone to explosions