HLN5065WX/XAA Check Fan 1

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
RJBattaglia

HLN5065WX/XAA Check Fan 1

Postby RJBattaglia » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:05 am

I have a fan issue. The tv said chech fan 1 so I replaced it. It still said check fan one so I was able to get it to turn on with the cover off. The fan that will not turn is fan 2. I don't want to waste money on fan two only to find out that it still says check fan 1. Any suggestions as to what could be causing this to happen?

Regards,

Rob

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Re: HLN5065WX/XAA Check Fan 1

Postby grayfox » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:37 pm

It can vary if the fans are coming from the same power supply outlet ... Fans are really not that expensive and easy to install I would try the other fan just to troubleshoot on the cheap ;)
take a look hope this helps!
http://www.discount-merchant.com/Search ... sung%20fan
[img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100421222828/ssb/images/thumb/1/18/MetalGearSymbol.svg/50px-MetalGearSymbol.svg.png[/img]Unit Foxhound

smithja6
Contributor
Contributor

Postby smithja6 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:43 pm

I've had similar issues. TV turns on for 5 seconds, sometimes even get a picture after ten, then shuts down. Before I go out and purchase a color wheel I wanted to know how to troubleshoot the fans

1. I replaced my lamp - it turns on fine, so it probably isn't the ballast.
2. I then decided it must be the cooling fan in the back because that wasn't spinning when I turned on the TV.
3. I replaced fan #1 - same issues. Quick shutdown after start. Fan #1 & Fan #2 both are not spinning.

Is there a way to troubleshoot if it is the fan or the colorwheel? Since I get a picture sometimes briefly, it would seem the color wheel is ok.

My next step is probably to try replacing fan #2, but is there something that could be causing both fans not to spin? If fan #2 is broken, would that prevent fan #1 from spinning? Is there a common circuit breaker in there that I should check? Thanks in advance for any help.

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:25 pm

Hello,
Some TVs have an alternating wiring to the fans so yes it is possible for that to happen on some models with an induction/extraction cooling method where both fans need to run simultaneously. This can even be the ballast, you are correct about the colorwheel, it might be fine, the ballast could be weak anough to not hold the TV on... it all depends... need more info, its hard to diagnose a tv via forum! :oops:
[img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100421222828/ssb/images/thumb/1/18/MetalGearSymbol.svg/50px-MetalGearSymbol.svg.png[/img]Unit Foxhound

smithja6
Contributor
Contributor

Postby smithja6 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:56 pm

Greyfox, thanks for your reply. Here is some more info:

1. I've had the TV for three years, so was expecting something to go out sooner or later
2. I had no shut downs or picture quality degradations over that time
3. About two weeks ago, suddenly there was a loud whine of about 2-3 seconds , and the TV shut down. I smelled an odor of burned popcorn. I was hoping it was my downstairs neighbors. I sniffed around, and I think it was my DLP tv. The blinking lights indicated fan problem, from what I can tell from searching around, although I never received a fan warning on screen.
4. I've burned out resistors in a class I teach, and they smell evil, so I figured it was the lamp and not internal circuits. Not sure what a capacitor, color wheel, or fan smells like when burning out, unfortunately.

I guess my next step is to pull out the innards (carefully) and check the boards for any evidence of a burnout. Step after that will be to purchase fan #2, replace, and if that doesn't work, the color wheel. I suspect at this point, the TV will still shut down because there might be an underlying circuit or power problem.

I don't mind shelling out the $$ to have replacement parts on hand, but as you can probably guess, I really want to beat this DLP and solve this issue. That would be really satisfying. Any tips on next steps or feedback is greatly appreciated.

By the way I'm a high school physics teacher, but not an electrical engineer. This would be a humble victory to share with future students!

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:59 pm

Hello again smith, I admire your spirit! :D

hmmm to be honest a winding, grinding or screeching, sound as you know should be associated with a spinning object... If this is causing your TV to shut down, this is most probably a colorwheel issue, I have been hearing more and more about this model having the same and my guesstimation is the following.

It could be the colorwheel shutting the TV down when it fails if it is defective and the whining sounds can come from a bad bearing on the wheel (that can sometimes only be heard after at certain RPMs)...

The ballast can emit a arching sound (more of a buzzing electronic sound) if it is too weak or the lamp is spent. This ballast has the sole purpose of generating 15kV for lamp ignition and the voltage to keep it on.

I would not worry about any other circuits since you are not getting distortion. The most popular consumable parts are the 2 mentioned above and of course the lamp!

hope this helps let me know!

smithja6
Contributor
Contributor

Postby smithja6 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:23 pm

Success!

It turns out it was the ballast. I suspect a faulty capacitor. So if anyone else googles around hopefully they'll fall on this post. My Samsung was shutting itself off repeatedly, and I had to actually unplug it to get it to stop power cycling.

1. I replaced the lamp.
2. I replaced the color wheel

Same symptoms

3. Replaced the ballast - and back to new. Thanks for the help and suggestions. I now have spare parts for the next time it acts up, a good story to tell, and less apprehension about getting into the guts of my TV.

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:55 pm

yay! well now that you replaced every consumable part you should be set to go for some time! ;)

Return to “Samsung Discussion”