Samsung HLN617W1X/XAA flickers, glitches and more!

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
WAPG2385
Contributor
Contributor

Samsung HLN617W1X/XAA flickers, glitches and more!

Postby WAPG2385 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:38 am

My samsung TV is 61inches and it has recently been flickering black and white images as if it was a techno video. Something sort of what the following YOUTUBE video These images come and go when my TV has been on for 10-20-30 minutes then goes back to normal. I know my back is dirty and needs to be cleaned. My lamp has been replaced almost 3 months ago with the OEM Philips that was the best and recommended lamp. I was thinking it was the ballast, paid $ to JUST ANSWER to figure out the diagnoises and they said it could be the color wheel, not the ballast. SOOOO i just bought a color wheel, waiting on it to come through the mail and thinking about getting it installed. If this isnt the reason, ill just keep the color wheel as a back up if it can be fixed another way or if anyone has any suggestions on what it could be. PLEASE LET ME KNOW! IM DISPERATE TO SAVE THIS TV AND HOPE IT ISNT THE LIGHT ENGINE OR DMD BOARD!!!!!!d

ovadoggvo
Master Technician
Master Technician

Re: Samsung HLN617W1X/XAA flickers, glitches and more!

Postby ovadoggvo » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:48 pm

WAPG2385,
I can understand the diagnosis of the COLOR WHEEL being an issue if you were speaking to someone on the telephone. This color wheel diagnosis would be the most logical solution to what you are describing in words, however, after seeing that video I can tell you that the Color Wheel will most likely (60%) not fix the issue! I'm sorry to burst your bubble...

Are you hearing any noises? The Color Wheel is spinning at around 5000RPM... if it was slowing down because of a bad bearing then you would get faiding colors or intermittent black and white picture and you would here a whining or whirling noise (speed up, speed down). The video to me shows flickering on-off along with distortion in video or a NEGATIVE picture affect.

A simple test will tell us whether the DMD board is failing or the DIGITAL BOARD is failing. Here is the test:

When the TV is flickering, press the menu button. Does the menu flicker as well? or does the video in the background only flicker?

I am going to assume that the MENU will aslo flicker! If YES, then your DMD Board should be replaced.. again, I recommend a Complete Light Engine from D-M for around $250-$350.. you can't beat that price!

If the menu does not flicker and seems like it's overlaying the flickering image, then your Digital Board most likely at fault. And I say that assuming that the same problem is NOT occuring if you plug in your computer to the VGA port. If your menu OVERLAY is fine, in most cases the VGA port input of a computer will also be fine.. The VGA port goes directly to DMD board without any processing under the Digtial Board... as does the menu.

Let us know how it goes.

WAPG2385
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Samsung HLN617W1X/XAA flickers, glitches and m

Postby WAPG2385 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:48 pm

Well i had MENU the screen as it went crazy and pretty much could not tell if the background video was doing it or the menu was doing it also. I am guessing that since the color wheel does make a noise only when rebooted (spinning up and down) and turned off that it might not be the color wheel as you explained. I am going to go with your recommendation and buy an entire light engine seeing as this might be the reasoning behind the glitches and flickering of black and white.

Is there certain instructions on how to replace the light engine once ordered from D-M? I like their service since i bought the correct bulb from them a couple months back. Any other suggestions toward helping im all ears! Thanks for the recommendation!!!

ovadoggvo
Master Technician
Master Technician

Postby ovadoggvo » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:17 am

WAPG2385,
The light engine is fairly simple to replace if you are handy with tools. It may look a bit intimidating at first, but once you get into it, it's simple.. Like taking apart a big computer. I recommend looking at the ballast and color wheel guide here:

guides.fixyourdlp.com

This way you see what you should be expecting when you take off the back cover of that TV!

Good luck.. Let us know what happens.

WAPG2385
Contributor
Contributor

Postby WAPG2385 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:35 am

Well the new colorwheel came in so I decided to just go ahead and repair it. To my surprise, the color wheel wire was charred and half melted brown. So after installing it and turning it on, I discovered my picture was not only better and brighter, but it did fix the solution... For now. Thanks for all your help fixyoudlp.com!!!!!

ovadoggvo
Master Technician
Master Technician

Postby ovadoggvo » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:13 pm

WAPG2385,
Great! I'm glad it fixed the problem and my 2nd hunch was wrong! The melt down of the cable was probably what was causing the funky affect being displayed by the DMD board. Which cable was the charred one? One cable goes to the actual color wheel motor and the other cable connects to the "Speed Sensor" board on the color wheel?

Either way, keep the old son of a gun just in case you need a sensor board or something in the future.

WAPG2385
Contributor
Contributor

Postby WAPG2385 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:19 pm

Just one of the white wires (3 altogether) was charred. Since I changed it, there has been no noise coming from the color wheel but a slight humming noise which sounds normal. More normal then what I used to think normal sounded like anyways! Ha. What made me assume it was the color wheel and being lucky with the repair was the fact that the guy from YouTube had replaced the DMD board and video chip, probably costing him a few hundred bucks and it still was not working. So I went ahead and figured if it isn't the color wheel, send it back for a refund or just sell the TV instead not dealing with the hassle. Which so many people do now adays. Believe me, I'm not an expert with electronics but for all you readers out there... "DO YOUR HOMEWORK TO SAVE YOUR TV!" I greatly took a risk and just went with my gut instinct and by no means think your advice wasn't helpful! Fixyourdlp.com, jangro.com and YouTube has saved me from $1,000s of dollars worth of work and my old 61" 2004 Samsung DLP! Thank you all again!!!

Return to “Samsung Discussion”