Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
nick5454
Contributor
Contributor

Help with HL56A65

Postby nick5454 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:50 pm

I have a HL56A65... 56" DLP lamp tv.

Yesterday my son was playing XBOX360 and the picture went black and turned off. He says this happened 4 weeks ago one morning, he went to the bathroom came back and it turned on fine.

So I tried to turn it on and its on for about 10 seconds then the picture goes out and I can hear audio for about 3-5 seconds and it shuts off. It was dusty so I got a compressed air can and cleaned it all out ( didn't take off the back, just the lamp door ) and now it stays on for about 1 minute or less.

I have had the tv exactly 1 year and I think it's about 2 days past warranty. It's on about 14 hours a day.

Does this sound like a lamp issue? Do I need to take off the entire back and clean it? Or is the tv now junk?

I was laid off recently so I can't afford to buy a new tv, but I can afford the lamp. On the other hand if it's a lost cause I'd rather get a job and buy a new DLP LCD tv.

Any help is appreciated. I'm dieing without a tv in the den. :(

Nick

nick5454
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Help with HL56A65

Postby nick5454 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:40 am

bump

Jason1976
TV Repair Ninja
TV Repair Ninja

Postby Jason1976 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:28 am

it's hard to say. does all 3 lights on the front start flashing when the tv turns off? all 3 lights on the front are to come on for a bad lamp.

Crowell
Tech Junkie
Tech Junkie

Postby Crowell » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:58 pm

First of all, when the TV still turns on, do you see anything wrong with the picture, like white spots, blobs, discoloration, ghostly images, etc? do you hear any strange noises coming from the back of the TV?, my first recommendation is to take the back of the Tv and completely clean out all the dust and mold, because it sounds like instead of cleaning it, it just accumulated in one part. If that doesn’t work and you don’t have any symptoms at all that it’s a 95 % it’s the lamp, do you know what brand is your lamp that you have right now?
Knowledge is the one true power

nick5454
Contributor
Contributor

Postby nick5454 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:42 am

I'm not sure about the brand.

When the picture comes on it's perfect. No spots or ghosts.

So I installed a new lamp today. and it's still does it.

I noticed that the following light is red when it shuts off

"STAND BY/TEMP"

So i'm figuring I should take the back completely off and dust and clean it out.

Can anyone recommend cleaning products I should use to avoid damaging the internal components?

Thanks for the help,
Nick

Jason1976
TV Repair Ninja
TV Repair Ninja

Postby Jason1976 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:51 am

just a can of compressed air and have the tv unplugged. you can use a sweeper for the bigger stuff just make sure not to nock into anything. dont use any kind of cleaners. don't want to get anything wet.

Turning off at freaky times can be a ballast or a power supply. Try them if the cleaning doesn't work.

nick5454
Contributor
Contributor

Postby nick5454 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:30 pm

good deal.

It only stays on for about 30 seconds then shuts off. Never longer.

Crowell
Tech Junkie
Tech Junkie

Postby Crowell » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:47 pm

Forgot to mention the lamp timer, have you already reset it? (just in case the cleaning doesn’t work for you).

nick5454
Contributor
Contributor

Postby nick5454 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:09 pm

What is a lamp timer?

I'm new to all of this.

Update:
So after further research I see I can press mute +8+1+2 to get to the service menu. Maybe there's enough time to get to it. But I don't get a very long time.

nick5454
Contributor
Contributor

Postby nick5454 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:13 pm

Ok so I took off the back of it and there was a little dust but not much.

Should I take on the plates it rests on or is that not needed?

When I run it by holding the gate lever all fans are running and I don't see any evidence of overheating, but it still shuts off in 10 seconds.

The fan kicks on and the lamps comes on for a few seconds and it appears the ballast shuts off. Is that because the ballast has a short or the power supply cant hold the charge.

Thinking maybe because when the tv went out it was very hot last week. Maybe the ballast is fried.

Any ideas?

Nick

Jason1976
TV Repair Ninja
TV Repair Ninja

Postby Jason1976 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:40 am

It could be the color wheel, ballast or power supply. One of the 3. If the color wheel slows down then it will turn off. Look for swollen capasitors in the ballast or power supply. Thats one way to see an issue. Sometimes you can't see. Bad capasitors can be swollen, bumped up on the top, leaking. I would start out by replacing the ballast. Buy parts from a company with a return policey. That way if its not what you need you can return it and buy aother part. Most have a restocking fee, but it's worth paying a restocking fee if its not what you need.

Crowell
Tech Junkie
Tech Junkie

Postby Crowell » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:05 pm

Did you already reset the lamp timer? Because if you already did then I would also go for the ballast, do you hear more than two clicks? If so then that second my premonition.

here are the instructions to reset lamp timer:

* Unplug your TV Set, wait for 5 seconds and plug it back.

* With the TV powered off point your remote towards your TV set.

* Press: Mute + 1 + 8 + 2 + Power.

* Your TV set should now say “Loading Factory”

* Browse down to “Option” then press Enter (or the right cursor button).

* A New menu will display, browse to "Clear Lamp" then press Enter (or the right cursor button).

* Your screen will change, at the middle you will see the option "Clear Lamp: OFF", press the right cursor button and it will change to "Clear Lamp: Clearing" then press enter.

* Wait a few seconds, the screen should go back to the previous menu. If nothing happens press the "Menu" button (this button works as a "Back" button).

* Now the "Lamp Hour" option should say "Lamp Hour: 0"

* To exit the service menu, hit press the EXIT button or just turn off your TV (remember not to turn on your TV immediately afterwards, wait for 15 minutes.)

NOTE: The Mute+1+8+2 buttons needs to be pressed down consecutively and fairly quickly. If your TV does not enter the service menu after using this combination, you can substitute MENU instead of MUTE. This seems to work for some sets.

Return to “Samsung Discussion”