Recurring Lamp Failure

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
freshyab

Recurring Lamp Failure

Postby freshyab » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:03 pm

I have had a Samsung DLP HL-T5075sx since December 2007. Yesterday, the lamp blew without any indication for the SECOND time since buying the set. I had the first one replaced just 5 months ago with only about 2000 hours on it. This time, it was working when I went to bed at night, when I woke up the next morning I turned it on and it tried to start 3 times, then went to the 3 flashing lights (happened last time the lamp blew). I know people who have had a similar, older (3yrs) Samsung model for much longer than I have who have never replaced or had trouble with a lamp. My warranty ended in December and I did not purchase the extended warranty. Is there possibly something else going on with my TV that would cause my lamps to burn out so fast and without warning? Is this fixable without spending a lot of money on new parts? Thank you.

ovadoggvo
Master Technician
Master Technician

Re: Recurring Lamp Failure

Postby ovadoggvo » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:42 am

freshyab,
What is your lamp code? I'm assuming that the original lamp for your TV was an OSRAM and you repalced it with an OSRAM. Some of the HLT series TV's that were sold at Costco and Circuit City were shipped out of the factory with a 150W osram bulb with lamp code BP96-01600A and BP96-01653A. The recommended replacement is a 132W Philips lamp. I would make sure I buy the lamp from an authorized Philips dealer. One option is to buy an extended warranty on the lamp from a company like Discount-Merchant. I highly recommend them to everyone online and at home.

Some good information on how to extend your lamp life and maintain your set is available here:
http://www.fixyourdlp.com/blog/2007/04/ ... Click=1971

Does the temperature where you store your TV change dramatically during the day and night? Temperature changes are normally the first reason the lamps seem to implode un-expectedly.

It may also be just bad luck! It is very unlikely that your newer set has any issues that cause the lamp to blow that fast. If it happens again, you should change the ballast. I think D-M has it for your TV for just $69!

Papa
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Papa » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:42 pm

I'm having the same issue as the OP. My HLS4266W is three years old now and I'm on the second lamp for the TV. The first one burnt out because we where turning off the surge protector every night once we where done with the TV, which didn't let the lamp properly cool down. Knowing that's what caused the first lamp to go out, we stopped doing that with the new lamp that we have in there. The new lamp was purchased in May of 2008, so it's under a year old. I have tried to adjust the picture, but nothing seems to get the picture as bright as it should be and once was with the new lamp. My question is why would the lamp go out so quickly this time? We bought the lamp from "Discount-Merchant.com", so I believe we have a genuine lamp in our TV. We don't power the TV off and on rapidly or very often at all. We usually only watch TV at night, so the TV at most gets turned on and off twice a day. Any help on why the lamp would go so quickly would be appreciated. Is there a way to test the ballast to make sure that is the issue prior to replacing it? Thanks for your help.

ovadoggvo
Master Technician
Master Technician

Postby ovadoggvo » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:38 am

Papa,
There are many reasons that could cause the lamp to go out sooner than later. Instability is the most common. Constant on/off without letting the lamp cool down completely before turning back on is a big no-no. The next issue could be a weakened ballast. Once a bad ballast gets weak, it's just as bad as having a wrong ballast. The power being generated to the lamp may be to low (giving you the low light intensity). In this case, you will go through lamps more often and the failing time in between each time will be reduced. This happens when the lamp is not getting a steady voltage to consume the 120-132W (in your case) consistently. If the power drops below 120W, it's just as bad as feeding 150W to the lamp.. it will cause it to blow.

The sensitivity is similar to a car audio subwoofer.

Papa
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Papa » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:45 pm

ovadoggvo,

Thanks for your help. Should I start by replacing the ballast and see if that is the issue and the bulb still could be good, or at this point, would you think both would be shot?

freshyab

Postby freshyab » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:12 pm

Thank you all for your help. Yes, the lamp code on both the original and replacement lamps are BP96-01653A. Judging from both of your responses, you think I'll need a lower wattage, 132W lamp rahter than the 150W? Since the wattage is too high on the 150W, do you think the ballast cant feed it enough power which leads to them blowing so quickly? How do I know if the lamp is 150W, OSRAM or Philips? It does not specify on the lamp.

ovadoggvo
Master Technician
Master Technician

Postby ovadoggvo » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:12 am

Papa,
The lamp would be shot by now. You may want to order a ballast and lamp at the same time. But first, take out the bulb and check to see if physical damage is visible.

ovadoggvo
Master Technician
Master Technician

Postby ovadoggvo » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:29 am

freshyab,
The lamp should have a stamp on there that says Philips or Osram.. IF it does not have a stamp then you have a 100% GENERIC lamp in your set. If this is the case, i would not be suprised if you blow a lamp every 2 months!

Your lamp has a stamp identifying it and looks like this:
http://www.discount-merchant.com/PhotoG ... 5FE22%5FOE

Where did you buy your lamps from? Samsung parts is also starting to sell osram and generic lamps without telling the customer that the parts are aftermarket! BE CAREFUL. This is the same exact reason I recommend a reliable source and an authorized Philips distributor. Check http://www.lampresearch.com/ for information on original and generic lamps. I have ordered lamps from many companies and 90% of them are either selling a generic bulb or a fake philips lamp.

A company called Advanced Lamps is one of them.. If you look on google, they have a very low price for a Philips product. A price too good to be true. I placed an order for 2 lamps from them. What I received was 2 refurbished lamps with Philips reflectors. The lamp was clearly re-worked at someones house with a chinese burner, but they maintained the PHILIPS brand on the side. Guess what I did next? I sent it to Philips Lighting with a letter to notify them about this scam.

It's unfortunate that 95% of the consumers of these products do not know the difference when they make their purchase. Many people think it's normal for a lamp to burn out every 2-3 months. VERY FEW people like you do research to find out why. The lamps are not "luck" related. There is billions of dollars worth of research and developement behind the product made by Philips. Not to mention millions of dollars worth of machinery used to make the lamp a finished product, and the thousands of dollars worth of quality control from a factory such as Philips'.

Post pictures of the lamp if you find it to be generic. Also, check your old lamp if you still have it to see what brand it was.

As for the wattage. The reason I say buy the 132W lamp is because Philips does not manufacture a 150W lamp in that form factor. If you get a 150W lamp yet, it's either a generic or an Osram. Word has it that they will release a 150W E22 lamp which would fix 1000's of people issue with their Mitsubishi TVs. As most of them use the 150W lamp! This will be another great day in the TV service business when this new product comes out.

Let us know!

Papa
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Papa » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:28 pm

Papa
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Papa » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:05 am

Just to let you know, I replaced the ballast and the lamp today, and everything went smoothly. Let's hope I get some good hours out of this lamp this go around. Thanks again for your help.

ovadoggvo
Master Technician
Master Technician

Postby ovadoggvo » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:15 am

papa,
I'm glad it went smoothly! Please keep us updated. I'm curious to see how long it lasts. Don't forget to reset your lamp meter.. Check the FixYourDLP website for instructions on how to reset your lamp timer.

Papa
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Papa » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:43 pm

I did reset the lamp meter last night. To answer a previous question you had, there was no physical damage to the lamp that was in the TV.

ovadoggvo
Master Technician
Master Technician

Postby ovadoggvo » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:24 am

Keep us updated in the future. I would like to see how much of a difference it makes.

Return to “Samsung Discussion”