Samsung DLP keeps turning off

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
musowl
Contributor
Contributor

Samsung DLP keeps turning off

Postby musowl » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:29 am

This sounds like so many other problems on here, but I'm still just not sure what to do next. Please help!

A few days ago, my Samsung HL-S4266W 42" DLP went out, with all three lights blinking on the front. I replaced the bulb, and it still cuts out after about 5 minutes of use, still giving me the same 3 blinking lights. I took off the back and cleaned off the fan and compartments, but the TV keeps cutting off. What should my next step be?

Thanks for your help!!

ovadoggvo
Master Technician
Master Technician

Re: Samsung DLP keeps turning off

Postby ovadoggvo » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:24 am

musowl,
You're first diagnosis was correct.... The lamp is always the first guess! I hope you bought a Philips brand lamp from an authorized dealer to reduce further headaches... Some of those cheap lamps on eBay (aftermarket) may have intermittent issues.

The one thing we know about your TV from it staying on for around 5 minutes is that your power supply is good... The chances of your ballast being bad is slim due to the fact that it has enough umph to power on the lamp.

I would check the colorwheel. Does it make any whining or whirling noises? Is there any discoloration on the screen before it shuts off?

If the answers to the above two questions is no, then I would check the temperature sensor. It could be shutting off because it is detecting excessive heat within the set. Does your FAN #2 work? (the one closest to the lamp). If yes, your temp sensor may be defective.

Let us know how it goes!

musowl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby musowl » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:10 pm

Thanks so much for your quick and knowledgeable reply!

The lamp I bought was the one linked from the Samsung website. It is an OEM, new Samsung lamp. Should I return it (especially now that I know the lamp is not the problem?

The picture on the TV is as perfect as it's ever been... no distortion. Also, there are no weird noises or any signs of anything odd going on. My hunch is that it is, indeed, a temperature issue since it works fine for a few minutes, then if I try to turn it on again immediately it only lasts for a few seconds.

How do I go about checking the temperature sensor? Also, when I was inside, I only saw 1 fan (the one right by the bulb's heatsink). It was working fine, though it was pretty dusty. I cleaned it off, but that didn't help at all. I had read there was a 2nd fan somewhere inside, but I never saw it.

Again, thanks so much, ovadoggvo!!

ovadoggvo
Master Technician
Master Technician

Postby ovadoggvo » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:41 am

musowl,
I would keep the lamp.. You will need a backup in either case. You don't want to be without a lamp, specially when you are still diagnosing your TV set.

As for the temperature sensor.... It is near the lamp / ballast side and it looks like this:

http://www.discount-merchant.com/Search ... emperature

Hope this helps!

musowl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby musowl » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:53 am

That is great advice. I will locate the temp sensor. Is there any way to tell by looking to see if it might be bad, or should I just order the replacement and see if that fixes things?

ovadoggvo
Master Technician
Master Technician

Postby ovadoggvo » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:16 am

musowl,
I would recommend ordering one from Discount-Merchant.com... I think they sell them for $20-$30 .. It's the best test you can do.

Otherwise, you can clean it with some 90% alcohol that you can buy from home depot, but make sure you don't have it plugged in when doing this. Leave it about a half hour and make sure it dries up.. Then try leaving a fan or cooling device pointed to the back of the TV.. All this may cost you more than the $20-$30 that D-M will sell you a new sensor for.

Let us know how it goes.

TONY355

Postby TONY355 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:12 pm

HI I HAD THE SAME ISSUE WITH MY SAMSUNG TURNING OFF. I PLACED A SMALL PORTABLE FAN JUST BEHIND THE VENT IN THE BACK AND IT IMMEDIATELY SOLVED THE PROBLEM. I WILL LOOK INTO REPLACING THE HEAT SENSOR SHORTLY BUT FOR NOW MY TV IS WORKING FINE.

musowl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby musowl » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:16 pm

Thanks again. I pulled my temperature sensor out, and there are no visible signs of damage. I looked here:
http://www.discount-merchant.com/Search ... earch.y=13
and there are 13 different temp sensors with the part number printed on the temp sensor from my TV. Further than that, there aren't any other indicators as to which might be the one for me. There are only 3 that look like mine though -- 2 of them say they are for a different Samsung model number, and then there is one that says "Samsung N/A." Should I just give that one a try (listed here: http://www.discount-merchant.com/We-pro ... amsung.htm)?

J&J/SamsungParts.com referred me to Samsung to find the part number, who referred me to a technician to come out.

If I can't find the right replacement part and want to try cleaning it, do I just soak the metal "head" of the sensor in 90% alcohol for 20-30 mins and let it dry? Or soak the whole thing?

Your wisdom is very much appreciated!!

ovadoggvo
Master Technician
Master Technician

Postby ovadoggvo » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:29 am

musowl,
I don't recommend soaking anything! You may damage it further. Just a quick cleaning should do with a soft brush. Dip the brush into the alcohol and brush of the complete board.

I would order one that looks similar on D-M and see what happens.

Eddie

Postby Eddie » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:37 am

--

Eddie

musowl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby musowl » Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:59 pm

Thanks everyone. I finally got the temperature sensor in the mail yesterday, but it still turns off after about 20 minutes. Any other ideas about why it is turning off?

Note: I have the blue switch tied all the way down just to make sure. Could there be a problem with it?

CoachMike
Contributor
Contributor

Postby CoachMike » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:27 pm

Musowl, read my post under " still turns off " I have replaced lamp twice, new ballast, color wheel and thermostat. Installed fan and built up the blue door switch and it still cuts off or does not come on at all. I am waiting on a power supply. If that does not work I guess I am in the market for a DMD board or a new pair of batting gloves :evil: Keep an eye on my post to see if I get any replies and I'll add anything I find out on yours so we can end the Samsung DLP drama :o

musowl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby musowl » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:55 am

According to the wizard, it could be any of the following things:

The lamp is faulty
The ballast is weak and unable to ignite the lamp
The ballast is faulty
The color wheel is not responding
The light engine is not responding
The lamp is not seated properly, or has not made a connection with the ballast

Since the TV powers on and stays on for about 5-10 minutes with a great picture, I'm assuming it's not a faulty lamp or color wheel? Could it still be the ballast even though the TV IS able to turn itself on for a few minutes? What about the light engine?

Is it possible that I just didn't install the lamp correctly? I tried reseating it a couple of times.

Thanks for everyone's help!

ovadoggvo
Master Technician
Master Technician

Postby ovadoggvo » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:19 am

musowl,
I hate intermittent issues with no clear signs! Since coachmike has a similar issue we can wait to see if the power supply fixes his issue.

If not, the problem can be the Digital Board or the DMD board. It's very difficult to tell and this is when the Samsung service reps start replacing boards and crossing their fingers. Keep in mind, your problem and coachmikes problem may not be the same!

musowl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby musowl » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:24 pm

I just spent an hour replacing the ballast, and the TV is still turning off! :|

2 questions:
1) Should I keep the new ballast installed since the tv is 3 years old and the old one might have gone out soon anyway? I only paid $55 for it, and there is a 25% restocking fee

2) Any ideas of what I should try replacing next?

CoachMike
Contributor
Contributor

Postby CoachMike » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:10 pm

Hey I just posted again under " still turns off "
I installed the power supply with the same issue. Samsung told me to check voltage to the ballast. I'm only getting 160V so it appears to be bad even though I purchased it like twenty days ago from Discount Merchant. I'm waiting on there tech advisor to call me back. I'm holding my breath ?? I hate having to wait ten days for a part thats in stock even if its supposed to be shipped next day or second day priority. It really makes diagnosing , repairing and problem solving something quickly a pain in the royal A**!!!!

Return to “Samsung Discussion”