Lamp, ballast,color wheel

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
az240z
Contributor
Contributor

Lamp, ballast,color wheel

Postby az240z » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:07 pm

I have a Samsung # HLR6168 and the lamp just went. After reading everything hear and other places I am wondering if I should go ahead and replace the ballast and the color wheel at the same time. TV was working great but slowly getting darker until this morning when it wouldn't come and I got the lamp timer and lamp signals on the front. It was mfg in Nov 2005 and I bought in Jan of 2006.

Just thinking as to life expectancy of these, while I'm in there just replace all 3.

What do you all think??

Thanks

Rodcpierce
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Lamp, ballast,color wheel

Postby Rodcpierce » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:56 pm

I just had my tv also shut off with the three blinking lights. I went ahead and bought the color wheel, ballast and lamp. Thinking along the lines of you, might as well while im in there!! I love my hlt5075sx!

Crowell
Tech Junkie
Tech Junkie

Postby Crowell » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:29 pm

Ok az240z.
It sound like you have a expired lamp, these lamps commonly go out in two ways, one is when the lamp explodes (you hear a loud pop and the TV goes black), and the other is when the lamps starts to fade in intensity until you cant see the picture (like in your case).
As for the other components if you have the money and you plan on having your TV for the next 3 to 6 years then go right ahead.
But if not then just replace the lamp and hope for the best.
Knowledge is the one true power

az240z
Contributor
Contributor

Postby az240z » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:43 pm

The lamp exploded but it had been getting dim for sometime. I do plan on keeping it for another 5 or 6 years. The only thing that looks hard is the color wheel.

By the way do you purchase the bulb bare or in a new housing??

Crowell
Tech Junkie
Tech Junkie

Postby Crowell » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:05 am

I suggest you buy the bare lamp, the ballast & the color wheel on your own (remember to order them by part number) to save some money, remember to get the part number of both ballast & color wheel from the actual part, and then find a reliable & honest technician so he can install them, as for the lamp you can install it your self since you can reuse your old (here is the guide for installing the lamp http://guides.fixyourdlp.com/samsung/BP96-01073A.php ) if you don’t want to hassle with the lamp then buy the whole enclosure.

az240z
Contributor
Contributor

Postby az240z » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:48 pm

I decided to just replace the bulb. TV now works great. I did get the bare bulb and installed it with no problems, by the way the lamp timer showed 13,594 hours.

I do have a question, the tv now shows in red, stand by/temp. is this a problem??

Contributor
Contributor

Postby 54321 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:59 pm

I have a 67" Samsung HLR6768WX DLP tv. The 'timer, lamp, stand by/temp' are flashing, there is no picture and there is a crazy fairly loud humming sound coming from it. The tv is also trying to 'boot up' like it's trying to turn inself on and off. When the tv initally went out the color went from 'color to black and white', had some lines on the screen, then went black. My husband told me he heard a 'snapping' noise approx 3-weeks ago, but didn't tell me about it 'til now. I have already changed the lamp (but have not reset the lamp counter yet), but still have the same symptoms.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...... Down on my TV luck in Vegas :(

Crowell
Tech Junkie
Tech Junkie

Postby Crowell » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:41 pm

Is the “stand by/temp” sign show up just when you access the lamp timer option, or ever when your watching tv? A quick fix is to reset the lamp timer to 0. Here is a link of one of my earlier post viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1050&start=0&hilit=Loading+Factory
Good luck.

Contributor
Contributor

Postby 54321 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:34 pm

Regarding my 67" Samsung DLP TV... after replacing the lamp, tv still does not have a picture, and has a fairly loud humming/vibrating sound coming from it when plugged in. Not able to reset anything via my remote control since I have no picture. Also, tv tries to 'boot up' like it wants to turn on but then turns itself on/off with no picture seen on the screen, (I had to unplug it from the wall outlet to prevent the TV from doing this). I just ordered a new colorwheel and service manual and hoping this will fix the issue once installed.

Can anyone shed light on this same problem??

ovadoggvo
Master Technician
Master Technician

Postby ovadoggvo » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:08 pm

It seems like you did your homework! I'm pretty sure the the humming problem you're having will be resolved by the color wheel. As a recommendation, take a look at the color wheel guides posted on http://guides.fixyourdlp.com ... I recommend a lot of people to that very exact page because of the exceptional job these guys have done of explaining and photographing the "color wheel" replacement procedure as well as the ballast replacement procedure.

Now, you may have a different model color wheel than the guides that they have posted but all of the Samsung, RCA, and Mitusbishi DLP TV's follow the same basic process as their light engines are very similar. Mitsubishi TV's are a bit more jam-packed but the easiest color wheels to replace are the Samsungs!

Good luck and let us know how it goes... Just so we have a piece of mind.

Contributor
Contributor

Postby 54321 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:22 pm

Thanks so much for all the tips.... I just received the service manual for my Samsung DLP TV... and now just waiting for the new colorwheel to be delivered. I will also refer to the information site you provided so I can get everything installed properly.

Your time is greatly appreciated and I will keep all informed of how the surgical procedure went on my TV!!

Flat busted (without a TV) in Vegas!! ;)

Eddie

Postby Eddie » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:06 pm

Where did you get that service manual!? Do you think I can get a copy of it?
--

Eddie

Contributor
Contributor

Postby 54321 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:12 pm

Here I am again... with my 67" Samsung DLP... I have replaced the lamp on 02/04/10... and now have replaced the colorwheel on 02/17/10, (The old one was completely shattered upon replacing it with the new one).

TV pic now looks great!... But the TV still has HUMMING SOUND coming from it while powering up and humming continues while TV is on. Also, when the TV is powering down using the remote... it also makes a whirlee-fan type sound for a few seconds then the sound stops with no other noises after the TV is off.
There are no 'flashing lamp/temp' signals as I had prior to my change out of parts.

To Eddie: The service manual I have purchased came from MANUALUNIVERSE.COM and it was a one-time download for the price of $16.95. I used it several times to complete the change out of my colorwheel. (I am not a TV tech so it was very useful to have this in hand).

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Return to “Samsung Discussion”