Strange Samsung HLS4676S issue... bad colorwheel?

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
rnick1976

Strange Samsung HLS4676S issue... bad colorwheel?

Postby rnick1976 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:32 am

I recently inherited an HLS4676 from a friend who moved on to a new LCD.

For starters, the pictures was insanely dark so I immediately replaced the bulb... problem #1 solved. Second, he commented that another problem was oftentimes when the set was powered down and then powered back up again soon thereafter, the set would fail to come on (after attempting to come on three times).

I observed this behavior myself soon after I got the set. When it's powered up during a "fail cycle", you can hear the color wheel TRYING to spin up but failing. The ballast is not even attempting to fire the bulb. After three tries, the front blinks all three lights until it's unplugged. If I immediately plug it back, same thing... three tries, failure mode.

However - if I LEAVE it unplugged for around 3 minutes, plug it back in, and try again, it works perfectly. You can hear everything inside spinning up normally, picture comes up and stays on until turned off via front button or remote. One note is that when it does shut down normally, after everything seems to spin down normally you can kinda hear something (the color wheel) spinning down with a LITTLE bit of noise (almost as if it's wobbling).

So, what explains this behavior? Sometimes it can't spin up, other times it's perfect... is this a temperature sensor issue, or do I need to replace the entire color wheel? I'm not sure I want to spend much more money on this set... any advice would be great!

Thanks!

Samsungtech
Likes to Post
Likes to Post

Re: Strange Samsung HLS4676S issue... bad colorwheel?

Postby Samsungtech » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:08 am

Most likely a bad color wheel, or in the process of going bad, when everything works correctly in the start up cycle you will hear the color wheel start, if it does NOT start the ballast will not get the feedback signal from the color wheel and it will not fire the lamp.

Return to “Samsung Discussion”