Stuck color wheel

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
skywalkr

Stuck color wheel

Postby skywalkr » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:22 pm

I have an HLP-5063WX and the color wheel will not spin in the housing...but if I remove it and hold it in my hand while I power on the tv it spins...I know its getting stuck in the housing somewhere but I don't know where or how to remedy it...any suggestions?

Eddie

Re: Stuck color wheel

Postby Eddie » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:25 pm

The best thing to do is replace the color wheel. If it's getting stuck, you can't shave, tighten or loosen anything to save the wheel. It may already be bad, or worn the thing out. This is, of course, there's something isn't physically stuck in the way of the color wheel. Replacing the entire wheel and assembly should remedy the situation, and the part will be somewhere around $100. Unfortunately the labor is a bit more expensive.
--

Eddie

skywalkr

Postby skywalkr » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:59 pm

could you clarify..."Replacing the entire wheel and assembly"...

In my unit, the color wheel housing is 2 pieces...the top half comes off with 2 screws and the bottom half is all one piece with the light engine...the color wheel replacement comes with the top half of the housing...is this what you mean?

I have ordered a replacement color wheel with the top half housing...I'm curious about the logistics of this fix...the color wheel doesn't wobble or anything and there isn't anything stuck in the housing...the air bearing does move in and out pretty easy, don't know if this is normal or not...I do know that its getting stuck on the light tunnel aperature in the bottom of the wheel housing...

Crowell
Tech Junkie
Tech Junkie

Postby Crowell » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:54 pm

It sounds as if your color wheel has a air bearing issue, its very common problem, it causes the color wheel to not spit at the 7600 rpm that the DMD board requires to operate the TV perfectly.
Knowledge is the one true power

johnp1732
Contributor
Contributor

Postby johnp1732 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:26 pm

It sounds like the problem I'm having with my hlr6167w.
The colorwheel housing is tilted slightly, and the wheel is hitting the metal portion of the light tunnel.
That's preventing the wheel from turning.

I need to order a new wheel and casing to see if that will fix the issue.

Replacing the color wheel and housing is fairly easy when you look up instructions on the 'net. Most of the instructions can be adapted to your tv.

Crowell
Tech Junkie
Tech Junkie

Postby Crowell » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:00 am

Just make sure you find out what type of color wheel you have, it’s either the silver or the gold one. Otherwise it won’t fit or work properly.
Here is a list of websites that you might be able to find it.

http://www.discount-merchant.com/

http://www.samsungparts.com/
Knowledge is the one true power

Return to “Samsung Discussion”