HLM437W noise

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
boutrous

HLM437W noise

Postby boutrous » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:24 pm

I just purchased an HLM437W that the previous owner replaced the color wheel and bulb. After replacement he was left with a loud humming noise.

I have not opened up the unit yet, but the sound is a low frequency loud noise.

I am thinking a color wheel would be a higher pitch sound if out of balance, and am thinking it may be a fan issue.

The clue for the day is that when powering up before the picture is displayed the noise cycles a couple of times.
Do the fans or color wheel ramp up and down upon power up as part of the start process???

Just looking for ways to shortcut the troubleshooting process.

Thanks

Boutrous

Eddie

Re: HLM437W noise

Postby Eddie » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:23 pm

Well, upon power up, both units ramp on. A lower humming could be magnetostriction of a component on the power supply, or the ballast.
--

Eddie

Crowell
Tech Junkie
Tech Junkie

Postby Crowell » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:06 pm

My first recommendation is to open up the Tv and completely cleaning the inside especially the fans and color wheel. If that doesn’t work then the color wheel is my next suspect, the previous owner probably installed a second hand wheel, one that still works but is on its last days of use.
Knowledge is the one true power

Jason1976
TV Repair Ninja
TV Repair Ninja

Postby Jason1976 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:51 am

could be a bad color wheel sometimes people think they buy a new one and they really get a good used one and sometimes a bad used one. or it could be what Eddie said. ballast or power supply. open the tv up and tape the switch to make it think the back is on the tv and see if you can hear were the sound is coming from. it will help you track down were the sound is coming from. I dont think the fans spin fast enough to take skin off like my old amd 2200+ cooling fan would. you should be able to stop the fans with your finger to make sure its not the fans. just dont stop them for too long.

Return to “Samsung Discussion”