Bad Ballast??or something worse????

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
lobocano
Contributor
Contributor

Bad Ballast??or something worse????

Postby lobocano » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:13 pm

A friend gave me his old Samsung model HL-84676S. He said the lamp went out, But when he went to replace it with a new one he noticed the 2 wires that connect to the ballast are burned out, I'm wondering what would cause this and get some help trouble shooting.
As soon i got it home, I plugged it in with out turning the power on, and something got real hot where the lamp goes(it was not connected at the time) and started smelling burned, IDK if that was because the lamp was not installed. I unplugged it immediately and know I'm in Limbo
Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Eddie

Re: Bad Ballast??or something worse????

Postby Eddie » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:03 pm

Sorry it took so long to approve this post.

Sounds like a bad ballast or power supply. Definitely check to see which part smells burned. That will give you an indicator on what is going bad.
--

Eddie

lobocano
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lobocano » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:57 pm

I worked on it last night, I was surprised how easy it was to access these components. I removed the lamp housing unit, and the ballast, and noticed it was burned at the connector(to the lamp), nothing else looked burned out. so as soon as i get the new parts in i will give an update.
Thanks again

lobocano
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lobocano » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:13 pm

OK, now that the new lamp is installed with the new ballast, The TV powers on, and within about 3 secs, it turns itself off into standby mode and the green light(Lamp)and red light (standby) blinks consecutively. I've unplugged, waited plugged back in and had te same results twice, Does any one have any ideas I am working with out a service manual is there a timing switch or T-stat that would cause this???? :?: :roll:

lobocano
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lobocano » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:15 pm

what was causing it to power down was the safety switch( which resembles a "light switch" mine was blue in color, I heard about a safety switch in your forums somewhere THANK YOU. I screwed the plastic covers back on and it works I am up and running for 1 hr now with no set backs. :D I Lucked out in this one

Return to “Samsung Discussion”