HL-s5065w won't turn on

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
chesman
Contributor
Contributor

HL-s5065w won't turn on

Postby chesman » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:10 pm

Have had the TV for 3 years. about a few weeks back it would take the TV between 2-5 minutes to come on. Then eventually, it would not come on at all. I did the unplug for a few hours and tried it again. Sometimes it would come on and then not. Now it just wont do anything. I noticed that all the fans are running, checked that, color wheel is spinning, light is lit up but no signal. I replaced the Lamp ballast, did not work, replaced color wheel, did not work, Yesterday, i tested it again like I always do a least once a day, and after 3 minutes it suddenly fired up, i got the melody chime and tv worked great all night. I powered it off and went to bed and this morning back to the same old thing.

When Hit power button, green lamp light on front of tv blinks until it automatically shuts off and goes into the red standby mode.

beforeit shuts off I get the click sound, fans run, color wheel spins, lamp lights, but no input signal. Screen black with slight glow indicating lamp lit but no start up chime melody indicating the final fire-up of tv with an input signal. Any Ideas?

Crowell
Tech Junkie
Tech Junkie

Re: HL-s5065w won't turn on

Postby Crowell » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:07 pm

Have you ever replaced the lamp? If yes, how long ago? Also did you reset the lamp timer after you replaced the lamp?
Knowledge is the one true power

chesman
Contributor
Contributor

Postby chesman » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:57 pm

Have not replaced lamp. Since the tv fires up on rare occasions it seems it would be something else. Help educate me.

Crowell
Tech Junkie
Tech Junkie

Postby Crowell » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:11 pm

Ok, here it goes, the TV you have is a DLP, it uses a lamp that produces a light slightly brighter than the sun. That lamp last about 4000 to 8000 hours depending on the brand (Philips is the best). Under normal usage that translates from 2 – 3 years, so normally when the lamp goes out, the DMD board (the brain of the TV) detects an anomaly it will shut the tv off. Its very easy to replace, just look for the part number, its starts with BP96.
Once you have the part number I can refer you to the replacement guide.
Here a few places where you can buy the lamp.

http://www.discount-merchant.com/
http://www.discounttvlamps.com/
Knowledge is the one true power

chesman
Contributor
Contributor

Postby chesman » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:49 pm

Thanks for the education. Like I said, I replaced the Color Wheel, Lamp Ballast. I guess I need to try the lamp, but very skeptical from some of the post in this forum saying the lamp replacement did not work. I just dont want to spend unnecessary money. If I purchase the lamp I will be $300 in the red. Now It may work! or it may not, then the next thing is the DMD board. Just sounds like a money pit to me.

I went ahead and bought a new TV. 55" LG 55LH90 LED, just too amy problems with DLP. When I have some extra cash I will replace the Lamp just to see if it is as simple as that, but I am very skeptical that it will not help. What a pity, my dlp gave a great picture and only had it for 2.76 years. Shame on Samsung for making a TV with so many problems.

Return to “Samsung Discussion”