HLT5076SA/XAA Keeps Shutting off!!!!

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
blackmambo

HLT5076SA/XAA Keeps Shutting off!!!!

Postby blackmambo » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:54 pm

About 2 months ago after returning from a week long trip, I went to turn on the my TV (HLT5076SA/XAA) and it fired up no problem. It stayed on for about 3-5 mins and then the screen went blank w/audio for 10 sec and then it shut off and then on again for 30 sec and did the same thing. It cycled about 4 times and I shut it off. The only thing I noticed right before it would shutdown would be two small buzzes out of the corner where the lamp and ballast reside. Through these cycles and before this incident happened the picture had been perfect. I unplugged the TV for about 30 mins, plugged it back in and all was fine. The whole time no particular LED lights stayed on or blinked. Then this past Sunday I watch TV no problem for about an hour or two and then shut if off to do some work around the house. Later that day I went to turn it on and it did the same thing it did two months ago stayed on for about 3-5 mins and then the screen went blank w/audio for 10 sec and then it shut off and then on again for 30 sec and cycled again. I have read on multiple forums about common problems, lamp, ballast and color wheel issues. I took apart the TV, removed lamp, back cover, both fans and ballast w/air ducts and vacuumed it all out and put it together minus the covers. I taped the lamp door lever back and fired the TV up, same thing happen only this time I was able to smell a little burn by the ballast, not sure if this is normal, the more it cycled the more I smelled it. I called and a few shops and they recommend to replace the lamp but I was hesitant because the picture was and still is great with no indication of fade. I cannot check the lamp hours because when I get to the service screen the TV usually starts to cycle. I went ahead and order a new ballast because it was only $21. I just wondered if I am headed in the right direction? Any input would be helpful. Thanks

Eddie

Re: HLT5076SA/XAA Keeps Shutting off!!!!

Postby Eddie » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:57 pm

Sounds like you did the right thing. You can actually see if the ballast is bad by looking at the capacitors. Expose the plastic caps and you can see if those bad boys are going bad. They'll look bulgey. The other thing it can be with a slight possibility is the actually power supply itself.

With out the smell though, I would have said try the lamp. Over time, you can't really notice it get dimmer. When you pop a brand new lamp in the TV, it'll be like magic and the screen will look awesome and brighter.

$21 bucks is definitely cheap to start out, and it looks like you're headed in the right direction!
--

Eddie

Crowell
Tech Junkie
Tech Junkie

Postby Crowell » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:21 pm

I also think you made the right decision, and you got a very sweet deal out of it. Hopefully it’s the ballast but just in case it doesn’t fix you problem you ma deen to replace your lamp, (some times when the ballast goes out, it takes the lamp with him).
Knowledge is the one true power

blackmambo

Postby blackmambo » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:25 pm

Well I put in the new ballast and I am getting the same behavior.........just ordered the lamp.

Return to “Samsung Discussion”