72" HL72A650C1F restarting

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
Mikelzzz83
Contributor
Contributor

73" DLP

Postby Mikelzzz83 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:10 pm

I've a 73" Samsung DLP that recently began cycling off and on until unplugged.

When powered up after a long rest it will power up with both picture and sound for

approximately 30 seconds, and then reset every 10-15 seconds continually with only

sound. I replaced the lamp to no avail.

Any suggestions as to what is going on here? Ballast? Color Wheel? Something else?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Mikelzzz83
Contributor
Contributor

72" HL72A650C1F restarting

Postby Mikelzzz83 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:37 pm

72" HL72A650C1F Samsung DLP

When first plugged in after a long rest(8+ hours) the lamp will light and picture and sound will work for approximately 30 seconds before the unit restarts.

When is restarts I can hear a brief flickering of the lamp but it does not light up, and I am left with only sound for another 5-10 seconds before it restarts again.

Eventually the T.V. will just sit there with the front 3 LED's flashing.

I replaced the lamp with no results, and cannot access the lamp timer reset function with mute/menu +1+8+2.

I don't hear any grinding or buzzing sounds coming from the back.

When the Lamp fires after an 8+ hour rest and actually lights, I hear a rapid series of clicking noises.

These clicking noises are absent during subsequent restarts as far as I can hear.

The interior is relatively free of dust.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Crowell
Tech Junkie
Tech Junkie

Re: 73" DLP

Postby Crowell » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:41 pm

Hmmmm, ok, here are some questions.
Do you hear any strange noises coming from the back of the TV?
Have you cleaned the inside of the TV in the last 6 moths?
Did you have any distortion with the picture before the tv died.
It sounds like a problems with either the color wheel or the digital board, but let me know what happens. Good luck.
Knowledge is the one true power

Crowell
Tech Junkie
Tech Junkie

Re: 72" HL72A650C1F restarting

Postby Crowell » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:50 pm

First recommendation, clean the inside of the tv completely free of dust & mold.
Second, if that doesn’t work replace the ballast, that constant clicking is symptom of bad ballast. Good luck.
Knowledge is the one true power

Mikelzzz83
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Mikelzzz83 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:39 pm

No strange noises coming from the back.

The ballast had a bulged cap, so I replaced it after replacing the lamp did not fix it.

The new ballast is supposed to be a replacement for the discontinued model, but it:

a) lacks the quality heat sink of the original
b) the 2 cords that connect to the lamp assembly are quite a bit shorter than the original (installing it was a stretch to say the least)
c) now the t.v. wont pull up a picture or sound at all, whereas with the old ballast at least it pulled up picture for the first 30 seconds and sound every restart thereafter.

What gives?

p.s. both lamp and ballast replacement came from D.M.

Mikelzzz83
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Mikelzzz83 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:41 pm

Update:

I went ahead and pulled out the replacement ballast and reinstalled the old one. Now the lamp lights lights (still with the rapid clicking on start-up) for 30 seconds the first time same as before I replaced anything.

However, the lamp now lights upon each successive restart for approx 15+ seconds, whereas in the beginning it would only light on the first cold start.

I'm guessing the replacement ballast is no good. Would it be worth my time to have a local A/V shop replace the bulged cap on the original ballast to see if that fixes the problem?

There is no whirring/buzzing noise in the back of the tv.

Return to “Samsung Discussion”