Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
bigmedia
Contributor
Contributor

HLT5076SX Power Cycles... Won't Stay On

Postby bigmedia » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:54 am

Greetings!

I have read several topics on the forum. While I can find several threads with problems similar to my own, I can't find an exact match to my issue and I am still at a loss as to what to try first.

My tv is a HLT5076SX. I have had it for a little over 2 years. When I power it on, I get the typical Samsung chime, the screen will come on momentarily, and then it will shut off and start power cycling... on and off... on and off... etc. I have to pull the plug to stop this madness. In almost every power on cycle, the lamp will light just a few seconds and then shuts off.

I have checked the fans and they are operating normally.

What should I try first? Bulb, ballast, color wheel, power supply?

All help is much appreciated!

Steve

Crowell
Tech Junkie
Tech Junkie

Re: HLT5076SX Power Cycles... Won't Stay On

Postby Crowell » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:06 pm

Ok, let’s start by troubleshooting your problem.
Have you ever changed the lamp? Have you cleaned the inside of the tv in the last 6 moths? Is there anything wrong with the picture when it briefly comes up? Do you hear any strange noises coming from the back of the tv?
From the looks of it I think it’s probably something related with the lamp, but I’ll wait for your answer so I can be for certain.
Knowledge is the one true power

bigmedia
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bigmedia » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:47 pm

I have had it for a little over 2 years and have never replace the lamp. We are heavy tv users, too, so that is the direction I am leaning. Now, the lamp doesn't light at all and after three or four power cycles, I get the three blinking LEDs on the front indicating a lamp problem.

The TV has never been cleaned but I did vacuum out all the components and fans that are accessible by removing the cover.

There are no strange noises. The color wheel sounds like it is spinning as if it were to operate normally and I am not getting any clicks, rubs, or other noises.

ChubbsTech
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

Postby ChubbsTech » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:06 pm

Hello bigmedia.
This post attracted my attention, at first you describe all the symptoms of a faulty lamp, how ever the on & off cycling doesn’t fit in the picture.
Let me explain in a little more detail.
In the Samsung video board for your tv, there is a small processor that has a software in its memory slots located in the analogl video board.
1155510001.jpg
1155510001.jpg (121.97 KiB) Viewed 6957 times

This program has the boot sequence for turning on & off the tv (the DMD board checking all the components, sensors… ok, etc) normally when the lamp is faulty it will act like that, how ever is you push the power button it will shut the tv off, and in this case only unplugging it will work. Now this leads me to focus on the processor that either needs resetting (there is a small button on the board next to the processor) or it’s lost its configuration and you’ll have to replace the entire board.

If it was up to me, I would replace the lamp first since it seams that your going to need one soon anyway (remember to reset your lamp timer), if that doesn’t work, then I would reset my micro processor, and if all else fails replace the entire analog board.
At the end it’s up to you.
Good hunting.
Last edited by ChubbsTech on Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Remember Knowing Is Half The Battle !

bigmedia
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bigmedia » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:35 pm

Thanks for the advice, Night. I am planning to order the lamp today and see if that works. If not, I will definitely try resetting the processor. I will follow up once I have tried the lamp replacement.

Return to “Samsung Discussion”