Samsung, comes on for a few minutes then shuts off

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
roogna

Samsung, comes on for a few minutes then shuts off

Postby roogna » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:02 pm

Our Samsung DLP, model HL-S4666W will come on for 2-3 minutes and then it shuts itself off with all 3 lights blinking. We had first assumed it would be the lamp and replaced it, as the old one was starting to get a bit dim anyway. But it's still doing that. The picture is very nice and clear with the new bulb while the screen is on, but it still shuts off after 2-3 minutes.

Could it be the ballast?

I've seen some discussion about maybe a faulty temperature sensor (I checked and the fans seem to be running fine, I'm pretty sure it's not getting hotter than it ever did before over the past few years). We cleaned everything as much as we were able but it wasn't particularly dusty inside.

Just looking for advice on what it could be, it's a great TV I'd hate to lose it. But I don't want to spend a lot of money on having a tech come out to not really end up with it fixed either.

Crowell
Tech Junkie
Tech Junkie

Re: Samsung, comes on for a few minutes then shuts off

Postby Crowell » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:07 am

Have you reset the lamp timer after installing the new lamp? Do you hear any strange noises coming from the back of the tv? The lamp timer is a small program that is monitored by the DMD board, it keeps track of the lamp hours in use. Normally when its reaches a limit it will shut the tv off for security reasons.
Knowledge is the one true power

roogna

Re: Samsung, comes on for a few minutes then shuts

Postby roogna » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:20 pm

Yeah, we reset the lamp timer.

Not hearing any strange noises when it's running, though when it shuts off there's a whistle/hum kind of noise for a second now. But wasn't doing that earlier.

Crowell
Tech Junkie
Tech Junkie

Re: Samsung, comes on for a few minutes then shuts off

Postby Crowell » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:00 pm

Hmmmmm, whistling noises, there is a small probability it might be the color wheel that is not reaching its standard RPMs, either its baring is slightly out of place or there is something stuck inside. You might want to check it before buying anything else.
Knowledge is the one true power

Return to “Samsung Discussion”