HLR5667W lamp bulb exploded

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
joe907
Contributor
Contributor

HLR5667W lamp bulb exploded

Postby joe907 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:27 pm

Anyone ever have a bulb explode? My original bulb exploded on my HLR5667w after 4 years of use yesterday. I ordered a replacement bulb with housing but would this event cause damage to other parts. The reason I ask is that after the bulb exploded there was a tone (maybe a hum?) sound coming from the tv. It did not sound like it was coming from the speakers.

Also are there special handling procedures for a broken bulb? I could find any information on whether they contain mercury or not. But I would guess that they do.

Your insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe

Eddie

Re: HLR5667W lamp bulb exploded

Postby Eddie » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:40 am

Hey Joe, how did it explode and where did you get your replacement lamp? Is it a Philips?
--

Eddie

joe907
Contributor
Contributor

Postby joe907 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:21 am

Thanks for the response. The bulb made a pop sound and the picture went black. After that there was a noise like an constant annoying sound (it was not clicking, grinding, or whinning, the sound was similar the the emergeny broadcast system tone) and the three lights on the front were blinking. Sound went away when tv was shutoff. I opened the lamp door and saw little pieces of glass in the housing. I removed the lamp house a it was evident the bulb expoded.

I ordered the replacement from discount merchants by looking up my model which is hlr5667wax/xaa. The lamp number provided by the site matched the number on the old lamp housing.

Is it normal for a bulb to explode when it is old?

Jason1976
TV Repair Ninja
TV Repair Ninja

Postby Jason1976 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:59 am

could be an issue with the ballast. could be the high pitch of a capasitor. I am guessing you need a new ballast and a new lamp. These sets are known to have issues with the digital boards so you should be able to find used parts on DM or on ebay for not that much money.

find the part number on www.samsungparts.com then do a search by part number since this part works in many models.

Return to “Samsung Discussion”