Color wheel problem

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
lionking

Color wheel problem

Postby lionking » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:45 pm

Good afternoon to ya all.
I got a good question, I was reading different forums on this here internet, so let me tell you what’s going on with my tv.
I bought it about mid 2006 Samsung DLP 61” and have replaced two lamps, (the last one about 2 moths ago). The tv last month started show a blue blob, and now it’s the size of a melon. I replaced the color wheel; turn out that one of the chips was burned in the middle. So I reassembled everything and now it won’t turn on. Anyone have any tips? I read a guide online that seemed very complete but maybe I missed something.
Any help is appreciated.

ChubbsTech
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

Re: Color wheel problem

Postby ChubbsTech » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:06 pm

Good morning lionking.
Let me explain a little bit of how the color wheel works, and its components.
The color wheel is sold as two main parts, the bare color wheel and with the housing.
DSC01963.JPG
DSC01963.JPG (22.91 KiB) Viewed 5431 times

The bare color wheel consists of the colored plates disc and its current cable that feeds 3.3v to 5v of electricity for it to spin, also on the wheel there is a small black stripe that is magnetized, while the housing has a small electronic sensor that regulates and administrates the Revolutions per minute (180hz) by detecting how many times the magnetic black stripe spins across it.
DSC01967.JPG
DSC01967.JPG (49.58 KiB) Viewed 5431 times

DSC01968.JPG
DSC01968.JPG (52.19 KiB) Viewed 5431 times

There is no real way to install a color wheel incorrectly, you see the disc has three screws that secure it from the back, if you misplaced or didn’t secure one or more tightly then the color wheel would brake when it starts to spin.
In your case what your problem might be (I could be wrong) is the sensor that’s not working anymore
First try to inspect the color wheel physically, just to make sure it’s not damaged.
Best luck.
Remember Knowing Is Half The Battle !

lionking

Re: Color wheel problem

Postby lionking » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:52 am

Wow, My TV is working again, Grate! Thanks a lot night.
I when to the back of the TV, opened it up, and sure enough it was the sensor cable that was not installed al the way in, now it looks like new, you really saved me a ton of worrys.

Return to “Samsung Discussion”