Picture is black and white, but clear

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
cfotoole

Picture is black and white, but clear

Postby cfotoole » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:52 pm

Hi all. Thanks in advance for any guidance you can give me here.

I have a 2005 HLR5667W. The other day, while watching TV I heard a loud pop and the picture went black and white and strobe-y. When I turned it off, it wouldn't turn back on and the three lights on the power button started blinking. I've replaced the lamp once before, so that's the first thing I thought of. I ordered a new one and replaced it last night, and after I replaced it, the following things happened:

1) The TV still wouldn't turn on at first. The three lights continued to blink, so I opened it back up, took the lamp out, reinserted it, and tried turning it on again, at which point...

2.) I heard a very loud grinding noise as soon as I hit the power button. I immediately turned the TV back off and the grinding stopped. The noise lasted maybe three seconds total.

3.) When I tried turning the TV back on, it came on and the picture is clear and completely without distortion, but it's totally black and white. The picture is black and white, the menus are black and white, every input produces nothing but black and white. It occurs to me that maybe I should be using the word grayscale to describe the picture--it looks like an old black and white TV or movie would look.

The only other part that I'd heard talked about needing to get replaced is the color wheel. I've looked around online, but just about everyone whose problems are diagnosed as stemming from a broken color wheel have distorted pictures and/or a constant buzz, and my TV appears to work fine now...except that it's in black and white. Does this sound like a color wheel problem to anyone here? That's a repair I can do myself, but if it's the DMD board, I'm going to have to get the thing serviced, which I would really like to avoid.

Oh and finally: I know I could open the thing up and take a look at the color wheel and then I might have a definite answer to my question, but I'm now at work and if I can get reasonably confident confirmation that it's the color wheel, I can place an order today and get the part ASAP. Thanks again.

Return to “Samsung Discussion”