Samsung HLP4663W Picture and sound gone

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
dmeray1
Contributor
Contributor

Samsung HLP4663W Picture and sound gone

Postby dmeray1 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:26 pm

Been poking around here all morning and I am still a little confused. Let me start by saying the failure started with a jerky picture and the color was almost like a negative. I powered cycled and I got all three blinking lights after the unit did its three tries. During the power cycle I noticed a low, deep, hum. I have already replaced the lamp and have the same problem. Tonight I will verify that I have voltage at the input to the ballast per the other posts. What sequence should I use for troubleshooting/replacement? Ballast first or colorwheel? Should I take it apart and inspect the color wheel? The unit is already down so I guess it wouldn't hurt. I have a high voltage probe....what is the best way to check the ballast? Is there a way to check the bulb?
Thanks,
Dan

dmeray1
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Samsung HLP4663W Picture and sound gone

Postby dmeray1 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:49 pm

Guided by the information on this site I went home and removed the color wheel....rather what was left of it. Ordered a new one from Suburban Electronics (out of stock at Discount Merchants)and I am awaiting its arrival.

Thanks!!
DAn

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:14 am

Hello,
So to answer your questions in order;
-Trouble shooting usually starts with the Lamp (which in this case I think is is good since it cannot cause color issues), Then the Ballast (which causes more of a buzzing sound when it is attempting to ignite the lamp on boot), finally the Colorwheel (which emits a spinning/grinding noise and can cause color disfiguration when malfunctioning).
-That said, If you have the time, there is a guide on replacing both Samsung ballast and colorwheel on this webpages homescreen. I would check both out.
-I would proceed with checking the colorwheel first since you get both culprit symptoms. There is nothing to cut or solder, just screws and plugs.
-I would advise against testing the ballast output even with a +V multimeter as it can set off its calibration for the initial charge a lamp needs to arc is 15,000 volts A/C.
-Incoming power TO the ballast from the power supply is around 350DC so if you know your way around it, this is an easier aspect to check.
-The mercury vapor lamp inside your TV should be clear and clean, no burning or shattering, no fogging of the front glass lens and no sulfuring of the stem connection (white fuzz on the steel wires right in front of the glass cover)

hope this answers all of your questions and is of any help, feel free to ask!
Last edited by grayfox on Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100421222828/ssb/images/thumb/1/18/MetalGearSymbol.svg/50px-MetalGearSymbol.svg.png[/img]Unit Foxhound

dmeray1
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dmeray1 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:43 pm

Just replaced the color wheel and left the new lamp in. All I can say is WOW!!!! I am in Love again.....I will keep the old lamp as a spare.

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:04 am

that's great! if you ever need any help you know where to go! see you around.

Please help our online community grow and spread the word!
cheers!
[img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100421222828/ssb/images/thumb/1/18/MetalGearSymbol.svg/50px-MetalGearSymbol.svg.png[/img]Unit Foxhound

Return to “Samsung Discussion”