White vertical lines on HLP4663W

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
moshernick
Contributor
Contributor

White vertical lines on HLP4663W

Postby moshernick » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:05 am

Hi i have a 46" Samsung DLP HLP4663W - I just got this tv the other day, turned it on and worked fine for around 5 hours or so before i went to sleep. Turned it back on the next day and it was working fine for about an hour then vertical lines popped up. I turned it off for a bit and then back on maybe 20 minuets later, no lines then roughly 30 seconds after the lines came back on, then maybe in the first 5 mins every once in awhile they would go away for a few seconds then come back on and stay. same thing this morning. (Note: just incase some ask, the lines show up over the menu as well.

I have read and researched on this problem and the majority of post i have read other people have suggested that it might be the dmd board or possibly the light engine.

If this is the problem which im not sure if it is, then which would it be? I have searched for these parts and it looks like some of the dmd boards do not come with the dlp chip (i would think that this may be the part that would have actually gone bad - Also is this the chip that contains the mirrors?)

Any insight would be greatly appreciated, here is a picture of my problem.

And a link just incase that pic didnt work

http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/2179/pict0016h.jpg

ChubbsTech
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

Re: White vertical lines on HLP4663W

Postby ChubbsTech » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:56 pm

Hello moshernick.
Let me explain a little bit in detail how you tv works and the most probable reason you have those white lines.

First of all when you turn on your tv, the current goes trough the power supply, then to the rest of the components, the picture is created when the lamp is turned on by the ballast, this lamp only emits white light, the light passes trough the color wheel and into the light engine. On the other side the video board sends all the color information necessary for the DMD to operate the color wheel, also the DMD controls the light engine that ultimately produces the image on the screen, the only one in charge of the tv menu. That why so many people recommend the menu test to rule out the video board.

The light engine is composed by various lenses, glasses and mirrors. The white lines are not a symptom of a cracked mirror, glass or blocked lens. Normally when it’s the light engine you se the entire screen has moved, or is partially blocked.

I you do diced to buy a new DMD make sure you look for it by part number, NOT by model number, two TVs may be the same model number, but if they where assembled on different years the me continue different generation parts.
I you have any questions fell free to ask.
Good luck.
Remember Knowing Is Half The Battle !

moshernick
Contributor
Contributor

Postby moshernick » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:50 am

Thanks kinghtkid, ill take your word on it. I think ill actually take the dmd board out and see if i cant trouble shoot the problem before i buy a new one. Has anyone figured out why these boards fail so often it seems?
I read somewhere that the resistors that were used in these boards had a temperature rating of 85.deg. i think ill prod around with a multimeter for a bit.

moshernick
Contributor
Contributor

Postby moshernick » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:11 am

Anyone know if the service manuals contains circuit diagrams? And if so possibly be able to spare me a copy? That would really help
me to validate/compare values and tolerances.

Return to “Samsung Discussion”