Samsung HLN437W DLP

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
Butch
Contributor
Contributor

Samsung HLN437W DLP

Postby Butch » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:20 am

I have a Samsung HLN437W DLP purchased in January of 2004 that no longer displays any video although I do get sound.

This is actually the second problem I'm now having with my DLP TV. The first problem I was getting was fine wavy lines across my screen with a standard cable TV hookup, SVideo, or RGB to Componet 1,2 or 3. Although my PS3 was hooked up to the DVI to HDMI connection and the screen was perfect with no lines or distortion of my video. I got around this problem by getting an HDMI Stereo Reciever & HDMI cable box to watch my cable TV and play the PS3 via the DVI to HDMI connection which up until now was working perfectly.

As of today a new problem has cropped up and that is the video display has just simply quit working. I unplugged the unit from the wall for at least 30 min. Plugged it back in and tried using the Mute+1+8+2+Power as well as Menu+1+8+2+Power and still don't get any video display. Upon normal power up the green lamp light blinks for a min or two like it always had in the past before my video would display - only now it starts the same sequence but I get no video display and the TV turns itself off and on with all three lights blinking at me (Timer, Lamp and Temp) with no video. For the most part it won't bring up the video screen & I get the three blinking lights.

I would assume I need to order a new Lamp to resolve the no video display issue - but not sure that would resolve my first issues with cable tv, svideo, or componet connections showing lines? Anyone got suggestions on what I should do? Do I need to scrap this TV? Order just the lamp and/or color wheel or what? Help!!!! Thanks... Butch :)

Technician
Master Technician
Master Technician

Re: Samsung HLN437W DLP

Postby Technician » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:07 pm

hello butch,
for the first issue you had with the lines coming into the analog inputs(cable) and perfect video coming from a digital input (HDMI) I thik you might have an issue with the Digital Video board, I dont think it is doing its job of digitalizing the analog inputs correctly, the HDMI looks fine because it is already in digital form.
for your second issue, I would try the lamp first, but taking in mind all three lights usually indicates a failure in the ballast or colorwheel. Is your tv making any kind of noises?
[url]https://www.discount-merchant.com/[/url]

Butch
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Butch » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:20 pm

Thanks for the reply! I'm going to try the lamp first and go from there. If I can get it to continue working with using the DVI to HDMI then that will be great. And also cheaper... So will give that a shot to begin with and go from there... again thanks for the reply

Butch
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Butch » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:20 pm

Oh BTW - Its not makeing any strange noises either.. just the normal startup sounds I've always heard...

Jason1976
TV Repair Ninja
TV Repair Ninja

Postby Jason1976 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:13 pm

first off look at the back of the tv to make sure the lamp is on before you buy a lamp. if it's on then the lamp is fine. Then It's ether the dmd chip or the dmd board.

Butch
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Butch » Sat May 08, 2010 5:45 am

I've finally saved up enough money I hope to perform the suggested repairs in the previous posts. I'm planning to check and make sure that the Lamp even comes on first and work from there. What I don't know is exactly where is the best place to make my part purchases? I've been told that the host of this web site is a good source to solicit. I want to make sure I order the right stuff from the get go - so exactly what information should I get off of my Samsung HLN437W DLP system to make sure I order the right stuff? I know I need to order a LAMP as a minimum but the suggestions suggested I could have a problem with the internal boards as well as the color wheel. So I'm not exactly sure where I should start (other then the lamp itself). Should I order the LAMP as well as a replacement color wheel? Or just do this one part at a time and go from there? I'm open to suggestions :) I have approx 300 to 450 to invest, but if it cost me more then that, I can purchase a new TV (42 Inch Screen) for a little over 500 rather then put any more into this system. I really enjoyed it when it was working and like DLP over plasma or LCD. So I want to get the best bang for my buck with hopes I can fix this guy and enjoy a few more years of service before I have to scrap it.

So... I'm hoping for some good suggestions on the best way to proceed, who to order from, and exactly what order of parts I should begin with other then just a replacement LAMP to hopefully get this system up and running again.

Thanks to who-ever sends me a reply in advance - This was a good system and I'd love to get it working again if I can do it cheaply enough...

Butch

Return to “Samsung Discussion”