UV glass filter

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
blahblah0

UV glass filter

Postby blahblah0 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:23 pm

Hello, I have a HL-P5685W and the lamp blew. I ordered the new lamp, but when I was cleaning out the insides of shattered glass from the lamp, I can see that the uv glass filter was cracked. I ordered a new one, but I'm wondering whats the effect of the tv if I watched it while still having the cracked glass.

ChubbsTech
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

Re: UV glass filter

Postby ChubbsTech » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:00 pm

Hello blahblah0.
By UV Filter, are you referring to a small colored glass that position in front of the lamp?
In some Samsung DLP TVs when you take the lamp out of the TV your going to notice that there is a small hole where you can barely see a colored glass, this is actually the color wheel, its function is to give color to the white light emitted by the lamp.
ASC02127.JPG
ASC02127.JPG (45.66 KiB) Viewed 8656 times

To know more about it here is a link to one of my previous post that explains in a little more details.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1254

if this is what you mean by the UV Filter then im afraid your going to have to replace it, otherwise the problems your going to have ranges from tv picture with no color (best case scenario) to tv trying to turn on, but shuts off almost immediately (because the color wheel is spinning at an abnormal rpm).
Good luck.
Remember Knowing Is Half The Battle !

blahblah0

Postby blahblah0 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:17 pm

Thanks for the response.

I'm not positive if it is a UV filter, but looking at the schematics of the tv that is what it said. I took a look at the color wheel, and it seems fine. In the image you posted, where "A" is highlighted is where the crack is. I actually went ahead and installed the lamp and turned on the tv. The screen seems brighter then before, maybe due to new lamp, but it seems fine. I was just curious if it would have any effects on other components in the tv if that glass were cracked.

ChubbsTech
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

Postby ChubbsTech » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:42 pm

Hello again blahblah0.
You are correct, the glass you see cracked is the UV filter (area A in the picture above). Now that we are all on the same page, the increase of brightness on the screen is a result of installing a new lamp, how ever you might start to see a dim shadow across the screen as a result of the cracked uv filter, as time goes by, the crack will start to decay the glass because of the intensity of the light emitted from the lamp. If you don’t change it in the near future the intensity of the picture will start to hurt you’re eyes after watching too much tv, and possibly worse. If you do plan to repair the problem I suggest you buy a new color wheel WITH housing, if my memory serves me right almost all of the Samsung tvs have the uv glass located in the cw housing (but double check in your tv first), the UV glass nor the bare housing are sold individually, you’ll have to buy the whole color wheel package.
On last recommendation, search buy part number not by TV model number alone.
If you have any more questions fell free to ask.
Good luck.
Remember Knowing Is Half The Battle !

gregor50

Replacing UV glass filter

Postby gregor50 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:05 pm

I replaced the lamp in my Samsung DLP and noticed a sort of a clear spot in the center of the UV glass filter. Will that affect the quality of the picture and should I consider replacing that filter? I can't really notice any quality issues with the picture at present. Thanks, Greg

Return to “Samsung Discussion”