tarigand
Contributor
Contributor

Pictures goes out but Sound stays on

Postby tarigand » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:34 pm

All,

Here is the model number:
Samsung HLR5067WX/XAA

So I have been doing crazy research to see if anyone has had this problem, but it seems like I am the only one. Hopefully I can get an answer to this problem before I go out and spend another $1500 on a new LCD TV.

The problem I have is that when I am watching TV, playing a DVD, hooking up a laptop via VGA, or playing XBOX, the screen just goes black, but the sound stays on. No red lights show up, other than the red light when i turn the TV off for the lamp. When I turn the TV off, I can see the screen finally shutting off a few seconds later. I replaced the lamp, and noticed that when the screen goes black, the lamp is still on, so I do not think its a lamp issue. We cleaned out the dust, and my cousin also took apart most of the boards and cleaned them as well. So there isnt much dust left in there. I dont think the color wheels is getting stuck because we dont hear a noise when the screen goes black, but we do believe that there is a heating or power issue. It has gotten worse over the months, first it would last more than 3 hours and then go black, and decrease throught the day. We tried placing a fan in the back, but that did not work. We had a Samsung "technician" come to our house, and he had never seen the problem before either. He suggested that we replace the digital board, but that costs $600.

So I thought before I just give up on this TV and go out and buy a LCD, I thought I would take some advice and see if you guys/girls have any thoughts on this problem without having to spend $$$$ to repair it.

Thanks,
-T
-Tarigand

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity"

-Bullettooh Tony

ovadoggvo
Master Technician
Master Technician

Re: Pictures goes out but Sound stays on

Postby ovadoggvo » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:01 pm

tarigand,
The problem you are describing to me seems to be a bad DMD board. A digital board is also a possibility, however, from my experience with these TVs... When there is a blackout the DMD board is 70% of the time at fault. And $600 is rediculous.. I know.. Samsung is crazy on their pricing..

I would recommend buying the complete light engine from D-M for $250-$350 here:
http://www.discount-merchant.com/Search ... 7W++engine
The above comes with the DMD board and optical block... Samsung wants $1000 for that!

They also carry the bare DMD board there for $180-$220

Also, the Digital Boards are around $80-$150

Let us know how it goes.

tarigand
Contributor
Contributor

Postby tarigand » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:45 pm

ovadoggvo,

thank you for the reply.
lets say i do replace the DMD board, what guarantee do I have that it wont fail again? i mean lets say it fails again in a year, thats $300 i could have spent towards a new tv correct? i appreciate the help, but im just not sure I want to spend more money than I have to on this TV. I think if it is a faulty part, that SAMSUNG should replace it as a manufacturers defect, even if it isnt under warranty. I am sure a lot of people have had this problem, and im not sure what other people think, but TV's should last more then 3 years, especially if you spend close to $2500 on them.

Just my two cents.
-Tarigand

-Bullettooh Tony

ovadoggvo
Master Technician
Master Technician

Postby ovadoggvo » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:38 am

Tarigand,
The DMD boards on these TV's normally last 3-5 years. I can't gaurantee that it will last a long time, however, in this economy $300 is better than $1200-$1500 for a comparible set. You will be spending $300 but in 1-5 years, if and when it does fail, you will be able to get a bigger better TV for cheaper as technology advances. In my personal opinion, that $300 will go a long way.

In today's market you will be able to buy a 52" 120Hz 1080P SLIM line LCD for around $3500 (this is currently top of the line).

In the market that presents 1-3 years from now, that same TV may cost $1200-$1500.. This is a bigger savings than the $300 right now. Specially with the current economy. And maybe a 65" TV with the same specs will be around $3500 (which is around $7000 in todays market).

I hope this makes sense and explains the reason behind why people repair their TV's even if it does mean only another year or two before making that big expense.

tarigand
Contributor
Contributor

Postby tarigand » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:01 pm

ovadoggvo,

Thank you for the reply. I will talk to my cousins and uncle about this purchase, but I did have one question. I cant seem to find just the DMD Board on Discount-Merchants website, can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks
-Tarigand

-Bullettooh Tony

ovadoggvo
Master Technician
Master Technician

Postby ovadoggvo » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:16 am

tarigand,
I don't see the bare DMD board on there either. If you are gonna make the leap, I would recommend the following light engine:
http://www.discount-merchant.com/We-pro ... amsung.htm

The price is only $259 and it comes with the opticle block, DMD board, and color wheel! Should keep your TV running for a long time to come.

It's still less than half the price of the DMD board alone from Samsung.

Let us know how it goes!

Return to “Samsung Discussion”