HLN467w Keeps Blowing Lamps

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
dhughes214
Contributor
Contributor

HLN467w Keeps Blowing Lamps

Postby dhughes214 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:43 am

Searched and searched, can't find anybody else that has had this problem. My Samsung HLN467w's lamp blew. Bought a new one, installed it just as I did 3 years ago, this time, it fired right up, looked great for about 30 seconds, then the temp light turned red, the other two lights blinked green, and it shut down. Turned it back on and the lamp light blinked green. Pulled out the lamp and it was blown. What would cause this? There was also a buzzing sound, kind of like the emergency broadcast system sound, not too loud, but noticeable. Thanks in advance for any help.

FixItMeself
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Re: HLN467w Keeps Blowing Lamps

Postby FixItMeself » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:33 am

A blown lamp may mean a faulty bulb or bad ballast.
If your bulb was under warruntee I'd advise requesting a replacement.
Try replacing the lamp with a genuine bulb (manufacturer original - no cheap "compatible" alternatives)... if it blows again then it's the ballast.
If you don't want to risk another bulb there is a way to test your ballast.

The buzzing sound could be the color wheel - it would sound sort of like a grinding fishing reel at high speed.

dhughes214
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dhughes214 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:03 am

First of all sorry for the double threads, after starting the first thread I didn't see that a moderator had to approve it before it would show up, so I started the second one, then saw the notice.

So it could be a ballast that blew my lamp? I always thought that a ballast would get weaker over time, and would eventually not have enough power to light the lamp. But you're saying that the ballast could be sending too much power?

FixItMeself
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Postby FixItMeself » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:12 am

dhughes214
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dhughes214 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:09 am

Ok, I have a Phillips lamp on the way. The one that blew right away was an offbrand. When I bought the tv (used) it had that same offbrand lamp in it and it lasted me almost 2 years. How exactly do you test a ballast? I might not have the correct tools but I'm sure I know someone who does.

FixItMeself
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Postby FixItMeself » Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:21 am

I found this article on how to test a ballast:

Here's another link for what the blinking lights may indicate:

dhughes214
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dhughes214 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:42 pm

that's awesome thanks man. Now if I could get someone to answer my post in the RCA section! lol.

FixItMeself
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Postby FixItMeself » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:09 pm

Sure thing - let me know how it goes.

dhughes214
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dhughes214 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:23 am

Okay, so today my lamp came. and I just put it in. When I plugged in the tv, before I even tried to turn it on, the lamp light blinks green and the temp light blinks red. and they blink at the same time not alternating. Is there a post of the different light codes and what they mean?

FixItMeself
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Postby FixItMeself » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:58 pm

There should be a safety switch activated by the back panel/lamp cover - if the switch isn't activated the TV will remain off.
My model has a stack of small plates attached to the back panel that extend to push the switch. Sometimes they can come loose, not making contact.
To be sure the switch is not the problem you can try taping it in place pushed all the way forward/back.

If that's not the problem try checking all your connections (spefically those from the lamp to ballast and temp sensor).

'If those check out reseat the lamp.

Return to “Samsung Discussion”