lamp interchangability

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
acguy
Contributor
Contributor

lamp interchangability

Postby acguy » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:04 pm

Hi everybody, I just purchased a used HLM507W tv with the understanding that the lamd is bad. When I got it home I was bored so I removed the lamp from my HLN507W and attempted to install it in the new one. It had a different plug so I put the original pigtail on the lamp, tried to turn it on but the tv didnt come on, just the led's on the front. I checked further and discovered that they changed lamps several times and I was wondering if I should get an original lamp, a newer style lamp and ballast, or, the small 132 watt lamp. If I get the 132 watt lamp it says I need a 100 watt ballast, which the original one is so I assume they will work together. Plus, without being a parts changer how do I determine whether a ballast is good or not? I have several good fluke meters and I know how to use them.
On another note the HLN507 has a beautiful picture when using the DVI port but with using any other port it has almost vertical wavy lines that change in intensity.

Thank you for your help.
Paul

Jason1976
TV Repair Ninja
TV Repair Ninja

Re: lamp interchangability

Postby Jason1976 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:28 am

I would go with a stock bare lamp. price around. be careful of ebay cheap nock offs. go with a phillips. They have a longer life. check www.amazon.com check www.discount-merchant.com check on www.samsungparts.com some bare lamps are dual watts. like 100-110 or 120-132.

acguy
Contributor
Contributor

Postby acguy » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:25 am

Thanks for your response. I assumed that the P132W 132 watt lamp from Discount Merchant would somehow be superior to the original 100 watt lamp. My tv has the Toshiba lamp, I would at least like to upgrade to Phillips but to do so I would have to replace the ballast. Apparently even the 132 watt lamp would need a new ballast and the guy at Discount Merchant wouldn't recommend one for anything but the original. There are way too many to choose from. Would you be so kind as to tell me specifically what to buy? Thanks again.

darkart77
Tech Junkie
Tech Junkie

Postby darkart77 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:31 pm

well your model # HLN507W, is for a samsung tv, Not sure why you'd have3 a toshiba lamp in your tv. But if that is the case you should get the philips lamp listed below.
SAMSUNG HLN507W TV LAMP REPLACEMENT BULB

acguy
Contributor
Contributor

Postby acguy » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:22 pm

Evidently the early sets used toshiba lamps. the ballast on this set is only 100watts and the plug is different than the one on my other newer tv. i want to cgange to philips but i dont know the part number of the 120 watt one that the philips bulb requires. also discount merchant said i cant install a different ballast. the higher wattage might damage the dmd board. i have seen posts on forums mentiong other people doing it. id like to know, can i? and which one do i use? thanks again.

Jason1976
TV Repair Ninja
TV Repair Ninja

Postby Jason1976 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:30 am

yeah i would stick with stock. If it takes the toshiba then get a toshiba lamp. It will cost more money to replace everything to upgrade it to a phillips. wit the age of the tv I'm not sure if it's worth putting the extra money into it. replace the lamp and ether use it as is or sell it and get a newer one. I paid 75 dollars for a newer 1080p 50" samsung not that long ago and all it needed was a lamp. It also has the built in digital tuner that gets many channels. and it was only a little over a year old. If you keep your eyes open you may find a newer one.

Return to “Samsung Discussion”