SAmsung Hln617w dmd board

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
egates
Contributor
Contributor

SAmsung Hln617w dmd board

Postby egates » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:57 pm

hln617w needs new dmd board where can i get one ? How hard is it to change ?
or is there any way to have the old dmd board repaired?

ovadoggvo
Master Technician
Master Technician

Re: SAmsung Hln617w dmd board

Postby ovadoggvo » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:30 am

egates,
I don't see the DMD board under $700 anywhere, but Discount-Merchant.com has the complete light engine (which has the DMD board on it) for $329 here:

http://www.discount-merchant.com/We-pro ... amsung.htm

I would pick that up before it sells out... You can't even find the DMD board for double that price anywhere. With the light engine you are getting the color wheel and the optical block... Samsung want's $1000 for that setup.

Let us know how it goes.

egates
Contributor
Contributor

Postby egates » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:02 pm

ovadoggvo

i was looking into that but had concerns as the numbers on the back of my light engine don't match the ones there. My question would be does that matter mine are as follows

B3K (ntsc) 030904523

Thanks

ovadoggvo
Master Technician
Master Technician

Postby ovadoggvo » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:23 am

egates,
No worries.. Those numbers don't mean anything as far as I know. I would buy it before someone else does!

Good luck. Let us know how it goes!

egates
Contributor
Contributor

Postby egates » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:14 pm

ovadoggvo

I appreciate all your help. It seems i waited 2 hours to long the part has been sold at DM it appears i will have to wait for another to show up .

thanks

egates

egates
Contributor
Contributor

Postby egates » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:37 pm

ovadoggvo

Is it quite possible that the problem may not be the dmd board ? the tv starts to boot up you can see the ignitor on the ballast light but then it pauses for a couple seconds and then shuts down only to start again. I know there is a way to force the lamp to fire but that does not fix the problem only allows the lamp to come on .I do have the correct voltage to the ballast so i dont believe its a power issue. (380vdc)

ovadoggvo
Master Technician
Master Technician

Postby ovadoggvo » Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:41 am

egates,
Why do you have the idea that your DMD board is bad? Explain.

What do you mean by the ballast starts to spark? Does is click multiple times?

Have you checked your color wheel to see if it spins freely?

Let us know.

egates
Contributor
Contributor

Postby egates » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:53 pm

ovadoggvo

The only reason i believe the dmd board is bad is because i took it in and the repair shop told me the DMD board was and also the light engine . After finding this site i am not so sure. There is a white resistor looking part on the left side of the ballast(when looking at it in the tv), when the tv is powered on it seems to light up giving the clicking sound. The lamp light always blinks and the lamp doesn't power up.
the color wheel appears to spin free although a little noisey . I took the DMD board out and ran test on the circuts and they all appear to be good. Again i cannot test the DLP chip. the lamp light is constantly blinking i jumped the ballast and still no fire to the bulb

Thanks

ovadoggvo
Master Technician
Master Technician

Postby ovadoggvo » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:33 am

egates,
The flashing light on the ballast is the ballast grounding out because it can't power the lamp. If you hear a constant clicking and that light keeps flashing, this means that your ballast is most likely bad. In a situation like this, you would hear 3-5 clicks, then a pause, then another cycle of 3-5 clicks... This happens 3 cycles, before the TV realizes that there is a problem and stops completely.

Does this sound like the problem you are having? If yes, change the ballast!

egates
Contributor
Contributor

Postby egates » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:46 pm

ido have a spare ballast and have switched them out with the same result i am asuming that the dmd board is probably shot . the colorwheel spins and it spins free yet the light will not power up .
so maybe the repair shop was correct in saying the dmd board was bad

ovadoggvo
Master Technician
Master Technician

Postby ovadoggvo » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:46 pm

How about the color wheel speed sensor board? Did you see any physical heat damage to it?

If not, DMD or Digital Board could be the issue

egates
Contributor
Contributor

Postby egates » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:52 pm

ovadoggvo

There i s no sign of over heating near or on the color wheel . i am guessing that as long as the dmd board is bad there is no other work around until i find another one ? I did try to jumper the ballast to forceit to fire the bulb and it would not , so then i switched it out with a spare ballast and the same symptoms occour. What is the voltage to the bulb suppose to be ?
i do appreciate all your help

Egates

ovadoggvo
Master Technician
Master Technician

Postby ovadoggvo » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:24 pm

egates,
I would be careful measuring the voltage to the bulb. You may burn your Multimeter. The spark voltage on these lamps is 15Kv, thats 15,000V.

The running voltage is anywhere between 60V to 150V (depending on the life of the lamp).

If the FORCE ON is not powering the ballast, then there is probably an issue with your Power Supply or Aux Power Supply. Check to see if you are getting your ~350V or 380V into the ballast. Look at my post here:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=46

egates
Contributor
Contributor

Postby egates » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:57 pm

ovadoggvo

I did double check to make sure that the correct voltage was there 383vdc so the power supply appears to be ok . Is there a way to check if the bulb is still good? since i have the lamp light blinking all the time . when removing the dmd board i reconnected everything the same way it came off i even turned the colorwheel cable around to insure it was connected properly . I am kinda up in the air .

Egates

Return to “Samsung Discussion”