samsung HLR5667 Freezes up

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
justgreene

samsung HLR5667 Freezes up

Postby justgreene » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:07 pm

I have a 4 year old samsung HLR5667 and it has been freezing up in Live TV mode as well as when I change the source/input mdoes to DVR, DVD, VHS, etc. Sometimes it will freeze go black screen, cycle off and on and come back to the picture. Once this starts it continues every few minutes. I did try a VGA cord and that seemed to work ok. I have not replaced the lamp and am not sure if that is causing any issues. I have also heard clicking noises when the tv is black screen. It clicks as if its trying to do something but nothing happens. After doing research in other forums, I thought it was the digital video board. Now, I am wondering if the lamp is faulty or the entire light engine. Any feedback is appreciated.

ChubbsTech
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

Re: samsung HLR5667 Freezes up

Postby ChubbsTech » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:40 pm

Hello justgreene.
The first thing that stands out from your post is the clicking sound. That is a symptom that can be related to the ballast. When the ballast is sending irregular voltage to the lamp it also may damage the lamp. So before you look into the digital video or DMD board you might want to fix that clicking.
If you have any more questions feel free to ask.
Good luck.
Remember Knowing Is Half The Battle !

justgreene

Postby justgreene » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:47 pm

The clicking noise is more recent. When it first started freezing I would still have picture and that would freeze. Lately, I would have black screen and would hear the clicking noise as if it was trying to do something. I still see the lamp light behind the screen. But I noticed when it would occasionally work the screen seemed darker than usual. Since the TV is older than 4 years I know the lamp is going. Is the ballast something I can easily get to and check?

ChubbsTech
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

Postby ChubbsTech » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:55 pm

Hello again justgreene.
Ok, let’s start from the basics. It’s almost certain that you need a new lamp, 4 years is above average life span. So my first recommendation is that you buy a new lamp, install it and see if it works. If nothing happens and you still hear the clicking sound, the next step would be to replace the ballast.
If by replacing these two things you manage to get a picture but it’s distorted in any way then the DMD or digital video board might have something to do.
Keep us posted on any new developments.
Remember Knowing Is Half The Battle !

Jason1976
TV Repair Ninja
TV Repair Ninja

Postby Jason1976 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:40 pm

This set is known to have this issue when the digital board is going out. all sizes of samsung hlr__67w tv's are known for this issue.

The digital board can be bought from www.samsungparts.com
www.discount-merchant.com or on ebay. Normaly discount-merchnat.com has the best price. bp94-02084A is one of the part numbers. a few other boards are compatable. discount merchant.com shows another part number you can find it buy doing a model search and typing in digital board. also switch model numbers looking for the best price. hlr4667w hlr5067w hlr5667w, hlr6167w check all model numbers for best price.

Return to “Samsung Discussion”