Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
stuck777
Contributor
Contributor

HLS5679W won't turn on

Postby stuck777 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:17 pm

Good afternoon,

I've had some complications with my Samsung HLS5679WX for many months now. After about a year and a half of countless hours spent watching tv and gaming, I moved and used the TV as a giant computer monitor (I know, bad idea now).

It started with the power cycling and slower load times whenever there was an active HDMI connection coming from either my PC, or gaming consoles, and I bypassed that problem. Later, the screen started going very pinkish. Rectified that situation by playing HD movies and/or PS3 games for lengthy periods of time, until the picture gradually restored itself more whitish (still a little pink).

Now, many months later, it just wouldn't turn on, and started to flash the LED light for about 15 times. The picture would flash a bit like it was about to turn on, but stayed at a lighter shade of black, almost gray. After about 5 minutes (or even 10) it would shut itself off. One time by chance it turned on and said "Check FanNo.3" so I blew some compressed air in the back and it turned on and I could use it.

Now, I don't get any images, or menu's. Not even a "check fan no3" message. It just cycles for a while, and flashes LED for the 15 times and turns itself off. I managed to slap the rear left panel and it turned on ONCE for me a couple of days ago, but it hasn't worked since.

I have a feeling I may need a new bulb/ballast combo? I'm sorry for the lengthy post, I just wanted to give all of the back story to the current problem.

Thanks for the read/help :)

ChubbsTech
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

Re: HLS5679W won't turn on

Postby ChubbsTech » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:08 pm

Hello stuck777.
First of all, if you are ready to invest some money, and plan to keep your tv for another 3 or 4 years get ready.
The first thing you need is a brand new lamp mostly because it’s the easiest part to replace. These lamps last between 2 to 3 years so it’s very possible that your lamp has died, when the tv sensors don’t pick up a signal from the lamp it shuts the tv off for security reasons.
Second if your tv doesn’t turn on after you installed the lamp then there is a high probability that your ballast might also be damaged. So you’ll need to replace it.

Another small possibility that your tv wont turn on might be the color wheel, so you might want to inspect it. See if it’s shattered or if it makes any noise while you spin it.

Good luck.
Remember Knowing Is Half The Battle !

stuck777
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stuck777 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:45 pm

Good afternoon NightKid. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

From my sights and sounds while the TV actually worked, I did not notice any noises or whining at all coming from anywhere in/around the tv. So, I am probably safe to say that it is not the colour wheel. I will go ahead and check it out anyway to make sure.

I would like to keep the tv for a while, would be a shame just to junk it/sell it/whatever cause I have grown attached to it; just that I don't want to spend all sorts of money on fixing the tv, while I could go out and get a better one for cheap. On that hand, a nice LCD might be a good idea since I use it for a computer monitor as well.

Can you recommend a good website for cheaper parts? I am on a tight budget but, nothing is too good for my HD :D

This would save me from calling up a service tech in town, having him charge me $50 JUST to come over and look at the TV and MAYBE tell me what's wrong. I forgot to mention too, that I did not get an extended warranty. Just the one year.

Thanks in advance :)

- Chris

ChubbsTech
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

Postby ChubbsTech » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:20 pm

Hello again stuck777.
The sponsor of this forum (http://www.discount-merchant.com/ ) is a nice option if you want to buy the lamp & ballast, I purchased about a dozen items from them and only once the package was delayed a day, the prices seam pretty good compared to samsungparts.
Plus you can visit http://www.fixyourdlp.com/guides/guides.php for replacement guides.
good luck.

stuck777
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stuck777 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:50 pm

I may just be stupid , but I can't find any reference to my tv on discount-merchant. Lists so many others but completely skips mine :(

Will have to do a hardcore google search I guess. I don't get many results for my specific tv :?

*** Samsung seems to have made this extremely difficult just to get any information. Got a guide telling me to look for a lamp code sticker on the back right, I have no stickers. I try the samsung parts website and it doesnt list ANY bulbs for my tv. Short of taking it apart im just getting fed up and want to junk it :x :x :x

It's kind of a pain in the ass to take apart because of my awkward setup in my bedroom. Need to haul it out of here into some spacial area, and then tinker, but need some more people for that :@

Really irks me :(

ChubbsTech
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

Postby ChubbsTech » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:29 pm

Ok, you probably didn’t know this but your Samsung TV uses a LED instead of a lamp & a color wheel, it uses 18 leds. So you may need a new led module.

Jason1976
TV Repair Ninja
TV Repair Ninja

Postby Jason1976 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:58 pm

first of all do you hear anything spinning on the inside that sound sound like a cd player spinning up? if you do thats the color wheel and you should hear it. when I looked on cnets web page some of tehse tv's had power supply issues and samsung was fixing them for free. you may want to call samsung and see if this set is one of the tv's they are fixing for free.

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-13973_102-0 ... dID=323724

Same model as you have and he said about reseating the lamp. I wonder if that worked for the other person. There are other topics of this issue one has over 500 replys. Samsung may fix it for free.

Crowell
Tech Junkie
Tech Junkie

Postby Crowell » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:02 pm

You probably didn’t read the above post but this tv has no color wheel or lamp. It uses LEDS, here is the tech specs.
http://reviews.cnet.com/projection-tvs/ ... 41984.html
Knowledge is the one true power

stuck777
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stuck777 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:39 pm

Well that makes sense it's an LED-DLP, I really overlooked that.

Hmm so it possibly is the LED module, none of the other lights flash. TEMP/Standby disappear when LED flashes, and when the TV is off, it just idles with the red TEMP/Standby.

I'm going to take another look, and do more detailed thoughts when I'm feeling better :(

stuck777
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stuck777 » Tue May 11, 2010 6:54 pm

Just a little update. I had my tv unplugged from the wall for a while, and tried to turn it on, no dice.

I've kept it plugged in for a week now, and I just noticed that the TEMP/STANDBY light flashes every once and a while. Just once though. Flickers on/off and happens... every minute i guess?

Anybody care to input what the significance may be? I haven't brought anybody in to look at it yet.

F16Tech
Contributor
Contributor

Postby F16Tech » Wed May 19, 2010 10:20 pm

You do no need new LED's. This is a known problem with SAMSUNG LED DLP's. It's bad capacitors in the power supply. Replace the power supply it's about $130 bucks or if you have electronics experience, you can replace the caps.. they are about $2 a piece and you'll need 2-6 of them depending on how many are blown. (They will be bulging and dielectric may be leaking.) CAUTION ... CAPS reatain their charge with no power supplied... so dont attempt unless you know what you are doing. For more info .. Google "samsung led dlp capacitor problem"

stuck777
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stuck777 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:14 pm

F16Tech:

Thanks for your reply!~ I had spoken to a friend of mine and he was suggesting that it may be those caps that you had mentioned.

Sounds a lot better replacing the caps instead of the board. The friend of mine has a bit of experience with these things so I may enlist his help!

I'd deleted the bookmark for my thread ages ago and came back today to just fart around and try again, saw your reply, saved me a lot of money!

Thanks a lot :)

Return to “Samsung Discussion”