HLR6167 DLP TV, loud noise, picture magenta now

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
thesupafly
Contributor
Contributor

HLR6167 DLP TV, loud noise, picture magenta now

Postby thesupafly » Tue May 11, 2010 1:53 am

Not sure if this factors into anything or not but the day before this happened I had replaced the lamp on my TV which had blown out. Didn't have a problem. Had a perfectly functioning tv for about 5 hours. Then I heard a loud noise, and the picture turned mostly magenta. There is also a semi high pitched whining sound when the TV is on. I can turn it on and off, but again, the picture is now mostly magenta. Is this the color wheel or the color change or something of that nature? Is this fixable myself and can I open things up to find the problem?

Crowguys
Contributor
Contributor

Re: HLR6167 DLP TV, loud noise, picture magenta now

Postby Crowguys » Tue May 11, 2010 3:35 pm

Hello,

Did the loud sound you heard sound like glass breaking or something to that effect? It might have been the color wheel breaking or the moving part that rotates the wheel broke. I just changed my color wheel and it is pretty simple. Use this link http://www.jangro.com/electronics/samsu ... lor-wheel/ to see how you replace the color wheel. Any more info would help to troubleshoot it.

Thanks

ChubbsTech
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

Postby ChubbsTech » Tue May 11, 2010 5:02 pm

Hello thesupafly.
From the sound of things my first instinct would be to physically inspect the color wheel. If you find it shattered, out of place, or if it doesn’t spin freely (makes a noise while you spin it manually), then you’ll have to replace it. While you have your tv open, also clean the inside so no dust or mold overheats any component. The color wheel is fairly easy to replace, you can search online for it by typing the part number of the color wheel & TV model.
Good luck.
Remember Knowing Is Half The Battle !

thesupafly
Contributor
Contributor

Postby thesupafly » Tue May 11, 2010 11:52 pm

Thanks for the responses...

The noise was not like glass breaking...I'm sure because I remember the sound when my lamp broke and it was nothing like that. Just a loud thud almost. Immediately the picture went to magenta. Before I order the color wheel I will take apart the back and check to see if that's the issue. Wont be able to do that for a day or two though. I will update when I do.

thesupafly
Contributor
Contributor

Postby thesupafly » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:10 am

Hey guys,

Well I took apart my tv and found the color wheel was indeed broken. I ordered a replacement. Installed it using the video on youtube that I'm sure you're familiar with. When I went to turn the TV on, I heard clicking noises and the lamp never turned on. It would cycle through 3 times and then flash all 3 lights on the front of the TV. I opened it up again and double checked all my connections. Still the same problem. Reading through similar threads and topics I found people saying that the ballast could possibly be the issue. I ordered a ballast and replaced it today. Still the same problem. I have double checked the ribbon that doesn't have the connector, trying it facing both ways. I have also made sure that the back cover and lamp cover were on completely when booting up. I'm really kinda stumped at this point. I've seen some people mention the board, but I'm not sure that's the problem. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

ChubbsTech
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

Postby ChubbsTech » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:34 pm

Hello again thesupafly.
Wow, that seem very odd, my first question is, the new color wheel that you installed is it spinning when you turn on the TV? If not then there is something preventing it from spinning. When you replaced the color wheel, did you remove all of the shattered glass from the enclosure? Even the smallest pieces can prevent the wheel from spinning properly. If you have doubled and tripled check the color wheel and there is nothing wrong with it, then lets move on to the ballast.
The ballast is totally independent from the color wheel, so even is the wheel broke that is no reason why it would take the ballast with it, so the only explanation I could think of is that both gave out at the same time. Any way there is a high probability that the ballast damaged the lamp at the same time it went bad. Mostly because the ballast regulates voltage to the lamp, so an excess of current might have cause the lamp to go out. How old is your lamp? Is it older than 2 years? If so you might want to consider changing it.
Have more questions, feel free to ask.

thesupafly
Contributor
Contributor

Postby thesupafly » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:33 am

Thanks for the response NightKid, I appreciate your help.

I do believe that the color wheel is spinning when I turn the TV on. I listen for it and I hear what I believe to be the color wheel spinning. I did indeed double check to make sure there was no debris left from the broken color wheel, but I plan on taking it all apart one last time to triple check.

As far as the lamp/ballast, that was what started this whole process back in the original post. The lamp went out. I replaced that and had a working TV for about 4 hours before the color wheel shattered. Just bad luck with the timing. I replaced the color wheel (which was indeed broken) but I was unable to get the lamp to fire up after doing so. Read that one sticky thread about TVs not firing up after lamp replacement and saw that the next option was the ballast (since I was hearing the same clicking sounds etc.). Replaced that no problem, but still can't get the TV and lamp to start. Someone had mentioned that it could be the board/motherboard? I'm really at a loss, but at some point today or tomorrow I will take it all apart one last time, clean it out again, and try to get it to fire up. If that doesn't work and barring any other suggestions, I might just have to bite the bullet and have someone overcharge me to fix the damn thing...which sucks since i've already bought a new lamp + ballast + color wheel trying to save $ fixing it myself. Ugh...

ChubbsTech
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

Postby ChubbsTech » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:10 pm

Have you reset the lamp timer? If you don’t know what that is, let me explain. It’s a small program that keep track the amount of hours the lamp is in use. When it reaches a certain limit, the DMD board will shut the TV off for security reasons. Another thing to look for is the fans, if one or more are not operating properly the DMD’s sensors will pick that up and also shut the TV of. One last thing, in order for your TV to fully turn on, you must have the back & lamp door fully assembled and closed, because there are some switches that if not closed also prevent the TV from turning on.
Hope this helps you out.

thesupafly
Contributor
Contributor

Postby thesupafly » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:49 am

How do you reset the lamp timer?

ChubbsTech
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

Postby ChubbsTech » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:51 pm

Here is a link to an old post with the instructions, if you have any more questions, just ask away.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1050

Return to “Samsung Discussion”