HL-P5085W bad analog inputs?

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
bitmage
Contributor
Contributor

HL-P5085W bad analog inputs?

Postby bitmage » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:44 pm

We have a HL-P5085W 'Capt. Kirk' pedestal DLP unit that has worked fine for several years. We have only used it with the 'high-end' inputs (DVI, VGA, Component).

We recently moved it to my parents' house. They wanted to use it with their cable feed, so we set that up.

The problem is that inputs through the tuner or the composite jacks look terrible. Everything is washed out like the brightness is too high. The color is weak. Adjustments seem to make little difference.

The menus look great, and we hooked a pc to the VGA port - it still looked fine.

I'm guessing the analog board is bad, although the component inputs look ok? Is there a connector that could be loose/missing that would cause the above symptoms?

Any special concerns in replacing that board or calibrations that would need to be done? The samsungparts.com site suggests that it is the BP41-00122D but shows it as no longer available, so it may be a moot point.

Eddie

Re: HL-P5085W bad analog inputs?

Postby Eddie » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:25 pm

--

Eddie

bitmage
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bitmage » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:33 pm

ovadoggvo
Master Technician
Master Technician

Postby ovadoggvo » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:36 am

bitmage,
The Analog board is most likely the issue there. It is a comonly failing part, right next to the Digital board, and DMD board. D-M.com is the only place where you can expect to get one at a reasonable place. PartStore and Samsung Parts want an arm and a leg for the board.

Let us know how it goes.

bitmage
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bitmage » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:12 pm

bitmage
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bitmage » Sun May 24, 2009 4:04 pm

Ok, I've run out of ideas. You can see in the screenshot below what text on a white background looks like. Adjusting contrast/brightness makes the picture darker or lighter, but the 'bleeding over' white remains. The same source looks fine on another set.

The problem is only on the analog inputs (tuner, composite). Component, VGA, and DVI/HDMI all look great.

Tried so far:

Replace analog board.
Replace digital board.
Replace cables connecting analog--digital, and the DLP cable connecting digital to light engine.

Nothing has any effect.

I know the digital board was replaced once under warranty early in the set's life to correct a discrete remote code problem. I have read online that there is a 'Copy DMD data to Digital' procedure that needs to be performed when that is done, but have been unable to find it in any of the service menus.
Attachments
example.JPG
Screenshot of text on white background.
example.JPG (241.17 KiB) Viewed 9285 times

Return to “Samsung Discussion”