Is my lamp the only thing bad here?

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
MPD496
Contributor
Contributor

Is my lamp the only thing bad here?

Postby MPD496 » Thu May 20, 2010 11:31 am

I have a 50" Samsung DLP TV (model # HLS5064WX/XAA). Last night I cut the TV on and it powered up, got a picture for about 30 seconds then cut off. About 3-4 seconds after the lamp cut off I hear one click. The three lights in the front are flashing. Is this just the lamp or do I have other issues? The lamp has never been replaced. The TV is over 4 years old. I tried to power it up several times again and it does the same thing. Thanks in advance for any help because I don't want to go buy a lot of unneeded parts.

ChubbsTech
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

Re: Is my lamp the only thing bad here?

Postby ChubbsTech » Thu May 20, 2010 4:56 pm

Hello MPD496.
From the sound of it, its probably just the lamp, one click is perfectly normal, and since you describe that there are no other symptoms, then in my opinion the lamp should do it.
Remember when buying a new lamp, search by part number & tv model number. Also don’t forget to reset the lamp timer when changing the lamp.
I found the lamp here http://www.discount-merchant.com/Search ... ch=HLS5064
Good luck.
Remember Knowing Is Half The Battle !

MPD496
Contributor
Contributor

Postby MPD496 » Thu May 20, 2010 5:24 pm

Nightkid thanks for the response. Yes I am going to replace the lamp with a factory replacement. I have seen post about resetting the lamp timer and was wondering what purpose does it do other than informational. Does it control the voltage or anything like that to the lamp?

ChubbsTech
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

Postby ChubbsTech » Thu May 20, 2010 8:45 pm

Hello again MPD496.
The lamp timer is a small program that keep track of the hours when the lamp is in usage.
When it reaches a certain limit it will shut the tv off for security reasons.
In most TV’s the lamp timer is reset automatically, but for Samsung you have to reset it manually in the majority of the cases.
If you have any more questions fell free to ask.
Good luck.

MPD496
Contributor
Contributor

Postby MPD496 » Thu May 20, 2010 9:09 pm

Ok this is going to be a dumb question but I gotta ask. If your saying that if the timer gets high it will cut the TV off. My picture was bright and fine two nights ago and is for about 30 seconds when I cut it on now. Is it possible that the lamp is still good and the timer is cutting it off. Is it safe to reset the lamp timer without changing out the lamp since my picture still looked ok? Like I said the TV is over 4 years old and has never had the lamp replaced.

ChubbsTech
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

Postby ChubbsTech » Thu May 20, 2010 9:52 pm

The lamp may still be “Usable” and might still work, how ever if you try to push it to its limit it will implode, and there is a small probability it will take out the ballast as well.
So I wouldn’t recommend it. How ever it up to you to decide.
Good luck.

MPD496
Contributor
Contributor

Postby MPD496 » Thu May 20, 2010 9:59 pm

You tha man Night!! That's the info I was wanting to know. No way am I going to take that chance. Ordering new lamp right now and will post the results when it comes in. Once again thanks so much for your help.

teamstreetheat

Postby teamstreetheat » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:17 am

hey mpd did you try replacing the lamp did it work for you and is your tv no longer shutting down after thirty seconds ?

Return to “Samsung Discussion”